Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 09-18-2006, 11:39 AM   #1
Ohio Steeler
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2142
Default Miami's Coker feeling heat

The Fire Coker movement has never been stronger in South Florida, yet the man at the storm's epicenter insists he's not bothered. Miami's athletic director isn't ready to make a move yet, either.

''Larry Coker is the head coach of the team, and we're looking forward to the rest of the season,'' Miami AD Paul Dee told The Miami Herald by phone Sunday night. "It's our hope we can rise to a great level of success this year with an opportunity go win our ACC Coastal Division and perhaps play in the league championship game."

Coker certainly understands a 1-2 record is unacceptable at Miami -- and Sunday, he said it causes him more anguish than any sports-radio caller or Web-site poster could possibly understand.

"I've been in high-profile programs before at Oklahoma and Ohio State, so I understand it," Coker said. "And I understand the frustration of our fans. We have great fans, this is a great program and they expect greatness out of the program. Believe me, nobody wants to win more than I do."

The problem is, wanting to win clearly isn't enough for the Hurricanes anymore.

Now unranked for the first time in nearly seven years, and out of the national championship picture before fall even begins, Miami is looking like a program in serious trouble.

"I really think and know that a lot of people, the fan base and everywhere else, are probably ready to give up on this team," Coker said. "We're not ready to do that here in our inner circle. Obviously, we've got work to do, but certainly, this season is not over. We've got a lot of season left. We've got a lot to play for."

The Hurricanes were soundly beaten in Louisville on Saturday, a 31-7 defeat that knocked Miami out of the AP Top 25 for the first time since Nov. 28, 1999 -- a span of 107 weeks.

That, though, is the least of Coker's issues these days.

He's aware of the he's-gotta-go pleas, rumors that the university's board of trustees was convened for an emergency meeting Sunday to discuss the coaching situation -- a school spokesman denied any meeting would take place -- and a perception that the Hurricanes have fallen from their once-prominent perch.

"I'm not really concerned about job security. I'm really not," said Coker, who's in the second year of a five-year extension signed last year. "I'm not concerned about that at all. I'm concerned about getting our football team back to where it needs to be, winning football games. If we do that, job security will take care of itself."

It's not going to be easy.

Miami is 0-2 against Division I-A schools this year, having lost 13-10 to Florida State in the season-opener, five days before beating up on I-AA Florida A&M 51-10 in Week 2. And on Saturday, the Hurricanes were beaten in all areas -- offense, defense and special teams.

Plus, they had no answers after falling behind -- again. In Miami's last seven losses, going back to Nov. 6, 2004, it has been outscored 79-3 after halftime, including 21-0 in the final two quarters Saturday.

"I've got to find the answer," Coker said. "And it's my job to do that."

His job may depend on it, too.

The Hurricanes are off until Sept. 30, when they begin a three-game homestand against Houston -- and there's two distinct schools of thought on the bye week. Some would say that it comes at a bad time for Miami because the Louisville loss will linger; others, like Coker, suggest that the team can use the time to get better.

"You're either with us or you're not," linebacker Jon Beason said after Saturday's loss. "Still a long season to go. We've just got to go back and we've got to find ourselves. Everybody on this team, individually as a player, you've got to find yourself. I don't fault the coaches."

No team has ever won the national championship with two losses, yet all hope is still not necessarily lost.

Miami -- the preseason favorite to win the Atlantic Coast Conference title -- has seven league games remaining and could still win the ACC's Coastal Division. Do that, and Miami would have a berth in the ACC title game in Jacksonville on Dec. 2. A victory there, and the Hurricanes would find themselves back in the Bowl Championship Series for the first time in three seasons.

"To look at the future, it's hard right now," Miami center Anthony Wollschlager said. "But you take a step back, there's still everything. There's the ACC, there's the BCS, there's a lot of stuff like that. But in order to do that, we need to get a lot of things right with ourselves and right now, we're not getting the job done."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2592353
Old 09-18-2006, 11:46 AM   #2
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579
Default Re: Miami's Coker feeling heat

The point has been made a couple of different times that Miami really lacks the financial wherewithall to up and fire a coach, especially a coach who just signed an extension.

Larry Coker is at Miami for the long haul. He'll probably step down and hand the team over to Randy Shannon before he's fired.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:42 PM   #3
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Coker needs to start keeping Alums like Edgerrin James from roaming the Hurricanes sidelines talking to the current players about his big NFL Payday and the money he's making like he did during Miami's opener against Florida State.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:45 PM   #4
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

My jaw almost hit the floor when James said that players go to Miami with the mindset of being there three years. This is a college trying to raise it's academic profile and one of their most recognizable alumni is telling people that football players don't take school seriously.

I don't like Ohio State, but their guys usually stick around four years.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:18 AM   #5
Ohio Steeler
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2142

I just heard on the radio the Hurricanes are in talks with Butch Davis about taking over next year
Old 09-26-2006, 04:05 PM   #6
reelsteel
Water Boy

Member Number: 3167

i hate butch davis and hope he doesnt take over
reelsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:00 PM   #7
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

I love the Hurricanes, but it is time for Coker to go.. I said this 2 years ago.. he is not a Miami,Fla head coach and never has been and Never Will Be... the Canes have so much talent on Defense and to waste it with our Offense is ashame.. It is time for someone to come in here and take over.. someone like Jimmy.....Johnson.... Maybe...hmmmmm
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote