Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-28-2006, 01:36 PM   #11
Da Question
Water Boy

Member Number: 2894
Default Re: Reid may break into the line up

Not a bad idea thou to get holmes there since we did trade up for him.
I would have rather got moss (miami) instead or holmes.
Da Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:46 PM   #12
dSharp
Water Boy

Member Number: 2302

I think Holmes is fine at #3 for now, but only if they keep him out of the slot position when they go three wide. Give him some easier routes to run on the outside, gives him a chance to read defenses a little easier, and I think he will learn the position and the plays ten times faster this way because he'll see what the defense does to him and to his teamates without a linebacker slobbering all over him while he tries to read the safety. There's alot to think about from the slot position, linebackers, safety coverage, zones, etc. I just think it's alot to ask a kid like this to understand all the nuances of the position as it pertains to the NFL level, let alone just "get it" by week 3, 4, or even 5. I would envision that by midseason he will understand things a heck of alot better.

I know he's gonna make mistakes as he learns but if they just help him ease into things a little more from an outside reciever position, I think it will end up helping the recieving corps get stronger.
dSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:46 PM   #13
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Question View Post
Well i think ced wilson is underrated, plus he seems to get big plays when he get open. His numbers are low this season but he got an avg. catch of 21 yrds. plus 3 first down catches out of 4 catches. thats a possesion guy in my opinion. Then jus line up holmes as the # 3 wr.
plus i like the 6 yrs of exp compared to a rookie.

catches 4 yards 85 avg. 21.3 long 36 1st downs 3
Since you brought it up...

Kidding right? As a No. 2 receiver Wilson is anything but underrated.

And with the tremendous hype shoveled into the draft sweepstakes by Buckeyes fans about the greatness of Santonio Holmes I guess we'll just go to the rookie card for now. Again? Did someone say deep threat? He shows flashes of ellusiveness as often as he shows a lack of knowing how to play the position. 50-50 so far. At least he is young.

And just when I thought about annointing Nate as the closest thing we have to a sure wideout (at this juncture of the season) he drops the "impossible-to-catch" pass from Ben. You know. It was the perfect spiral that hits his hands in stride between two defenders without having to make any adjustment for a critical touchdown being down against a huge rival. Yeah that impossible catch.

So back to Willie Reid. After watching nearly all of preseason the reason they cut Quincy Morgan was to get this guy dressed and on the 53-man roster. Right? Being 6000 miles from PGH the coaches know what they saw so I give them the benfit of the doubt.

BUT! Since I said this a week ago - at the risk of being a broken record - to this day it is a freakin' mystery to me why Reid isn't dressed.

And Hines Ward. It will snow in paradise before I'm critical of Hines. You know there is no one on the planet who is more displeased with his output than Hines himself. Warrior!
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:52 PM   #14
dSharp
Water Boy

Member Number: 2302

Man you are pretty critical of rookies. It's a known fact that it takes awhile for skill position players to get used to the NFL. College is basically a bunch of overhyped high school kids mixed with some real thoroughbreads. The skill level of your opponent in the NFL is one of the biggest things to get used to on the NFL level for young players.

This isn't a pitcher of kool aid. You don't get instant results just by adding water and a little sugar. This is the NFL. I mean you act like this is some video game or something. Holmes is rated high so you want it all. Well, you better get a grip, cuz it's not as easy as pushing the B button to throw and the A button to catch.
dSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:39 PM   #15
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBENFASTWILLIE View Post
Why put wilson at # 2 hes not very impressive right now.....Throw holmes in there and let him earn us trading up (7 ???) spots for hi
If you really stop and think about it, BBFW, none of our receivers are very impressive right now and Hines is still on the mend. Two of them are rooks (and with the addition of Reid to the corps, that makes 3 rooks). They will, in time, gel together as a unit - we just have to be a little more patient with them, I think.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:40 PM   #16
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by dSharp View Post
Man you are pretty critical of rookies. It's a known fact that it takes awhile for skill position players to get used to the NFL. College is basically a bunch of overhyped high school kids mixed with some real thoroughbreads. The skill level of your opponent in the NFL is one of the biggest things to get used to on the NFL level for young players.

This isn't a pitcher of kool aid. You don't get instant results just by adding water and a little sugar. This is the NFL. I mean you act like this is some video game or something. Holmes is rated high so you want it all. Well, you better get a grip, cuz it's not as easy as pushing the B button to throw and the A button to catch.
Yeah. You're absolutely right. It is too critical. Sorry Santonio.

My point was more about why Reid is not activated. I saw little disparity between Holmes and Reid in the preseason. Just someone let me know when I can say Holmes is still behind the learning curve without being too critical. If our receivers dont step up soon we'll all be making "a pitcher of kool aid"... Jim Jones flavored. I think it was grape.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:42 PM   #17
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

i garuntee he will be at least on ST. colclough will be defending only now and not ruining our team as much.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:59 AM   #18
Da Question
Water Boy

Member Number: 2894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt View Post
Since you brought it up...

Kidding right? As a No. 2 receiver Wilson is anything but underrated.

And with the tremendous hype shoveled into the draft sweepstakes by Buckeyes fans about the greatness of Santonio Holmes I guess we'll just go to the rookie card for now. Again? Did someone say deep threat? He shows flashes of ellusiveness as often as he shows a lack of knowing how to play the position. 50-50 so far. At least he is young.
Underrated at the # 2 spot . NO (lots of really good #2 wrs)
underated as far as number show or what people see on the field yes.
some may forget but last years playoff run he made some really big plays for us. Holmes needs atleast 8-10 games to develop and by then most rookies start to feel the drain of a long season.even if he did produce more the ced wilson can he do it for the long stretch. i very much doubt it. to go from 10-12 easy games (college) to 16-20 hard games (nfl reg season to suberbowl) most rookies cant do it in their first yr. put holmes in the slot # 3wr and let him learn and make his plays from that spot.
Da Question is offline   Reply With Quote