Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-01-2006, 11:33 AM   #11
Man_Of_Steel
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 1036
Default Re: What's wrong with Ben's mechanics?

I say he is wayyyyy out of football shape. He is not running/scrambling like he use to. He's gotta get tons of practice in if you ask me and how Cowher basically gave them all of last week off was a mistake. He's gotta keep throwing and running, he is not the same QB and he's got to get back into a rhythym. I hope the lack of practice doesn't hurt them.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:44 AM   #12
FHarris32
Water Boy

Member Number: 3183

I think he will be fine, I actually think this week off will be good for him. I don't think he was ready to come back for the whole game against Jacksonville or for Cinncinati... I think its a combination of things... I am glad Cowher started him those games but I dont think he should have played whole game.... I wish Cowher would have put Batch in there some... I think It would have made a huge difference in the way Ben was playing and in the overall game.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:08 PM   #13
BigJen
Banned

Member Number: 3186

At least he has the whole PTSD excuse already in place!
BigJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:38 PM   #14
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

i dont think all the blame can go on Ben.......He has thrown many great balls that were just dropped by recievers.......I thinks its getting on pace with the rest of his team
Old 10-01-2006, 11:28 PM   #15
arburton300
Water Boy

Member Number: 3193

i think ben may be a little rusty but i think the main problem is that the steelers really don't have anyone to stretch the defence. we are finally feeling the absence of randle el and yes burress
arburton300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:32 PM   #16
jason97673
Water Boy

Member Number: 3192

I really dont miss Burress or ARE.

I wanted our team to keep Morgan because of all the inexperience at WR. Our WRs have probably dropped 10 passes in the past 2 games, all of which were great throws and I know the one to Nate was a TD, Ward dropped some also.

They will get hot again. Wilson was awesome last year in the playoffs. I expected a big year from him (Well in terms of the steelers offense 40 catches is big).

We also drafted Holmes for a reason. Why dont they use this guy and his great speed and send him deep. I want to see what he can do. He and ward most likely have the best hands but Ward is hurting a little bit. I wanted Holmes to start as the 2nd WR at the begining.

As for Ben, he will be fine. Last year after coming back from injury he stunk and lost to indy and cincy and was on fire the rest of the year. He needs to run more too. Used to run 3-4 times game. Just run for 10 yards and get a first down every once in awhile if their arent any corners or LBs lurking.

Last edited by jason97673; 10-01-2006 at 11:36 PM.
jason97673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:20 AM   #17
arburton300
Water Boy

Member Number: 3193

i do agree with you about homes and i also feel that ben will be alright. having a receiver with blazing speed to stretch the defense will help both the passing and running game
arburton300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:25 AM   #18
SteelersWoman
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3077

What I see different in Big Ben--comparing his good games to his bad ones--is not so much mechanics (to me)--but rather related to a frame of mind.

In bad ones, it just seems like he's off in left field--even his face shows it. He also appears to be trying too hard, and seems stiff. You can almost see the desperation in his eyes when he starts feelin the pressure of what to do with the ball. And on some throws, he's just takin too long--it's almost like that old saying--think long, think wrong.

In good games, it seems to just "be there". He doesn't have to reach for it---he looks confident, appears relaxed, makes decisions quickly, and has the presence of mind to get out there and slide for a few if he has to.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:46 AM   #19
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

What surprises me the most is that no one seems to realize or take into consideration that Cedric and Nate Washington are NOT quality receivers. Why is it that people feel as though these average "Journeymen" players are all of the sudden capable of grand deeds once they become Steelers ?
Ben's issue's right now are more so a product of mental errors and rust from a lack of playing time. Coach actually did him a disservice by coddling him and not allowing him more Reps in the preseason.
And to add insult to injury Hines is not himself. But even when he is,.... it's not hard to for teams to gameplan for us when Ben only has two targets and one of those is a tight end.
Antwan wasn't very productive as a receiver,....but he provided points on special teams and at least a threat that had to be accounted for lined up with Hines. Neither of the aformentioned (Wilson, Washington) even do that much.
Bottom line,.....Ben has to get his mind right and produce,...but i have far more faith in his ability to do so,... than i do in the sub par wr's we have on the field. It's like dropping a guy off in afghanistan with a 38 snub and a compass and saying "Ok,...now bring us Osama's head" Can you say Cluster Fook boy's and girls ? LOL "Knock it Off"

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:52 AM   #20
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCzar76 View Post
What surprises me the most is that no one seems to realize or take into consideration that Cedric and Nate Washington are NOT quality receivers. Why is it that people feel as though these average "Journeymen" players are all of the sudden capable of grand deeds once they become Steelers ?
Ben's issue's right now are more so a product of mental errors and rust from a lack of playing time. Coach actually did him a disservice by coddling him and not allowing him more Reps in the preseason.
And to add insult to injury Hines is not himself. But even when he is,.... it's not hard to for teams to gameplan for us when Ben only has two targets and one of those is a tight end.
Antwan wasn't very productive as a receiver,....but he provided points on special teams and at least a threat that had to be accounted for lined up with Hines. Neither of the aformentioned (Wilson, Washington) even do that much.
Bottom line,.....Ben has to get his mind right and produce,...but i have far more faith in his ability to do so,... than i do in the sub par wr's we have on the field. It's like dropping a guy off in afghanistan with a 38 snub and a compass and saying "Ok,...now bring us Osama's head" Can you say Cluster Fook boy's and girls ? LOL "Knock it Off"

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

I agree 100%.

I said on a few occasions that the Steelers WR corps is the weakest element of their team - the only reason they have put up numbers in the past is purely down to Bens ability to keep the play alive while they eventually get open.

When/If Ben gets back to 100% he will be able to compensate for the lack of catching talent - but he wont get any help before then - especially, as you say, with Hines not fully fit yet.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote