Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-04-2006, 02:42 PM   #11
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,076 Times in 2,615 Posts
Default Re: Randy Moss To The Patriots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
I wouldn't rule out a move for Moss by the Patriots - but I think he is a long way from the type of player the Patriots can afford on their roster.

Alot was made of Dillons 'character issues' but the guy was willing to take a pay cut to get a ring, which is something I doubt Moss would do.

This subject has been batted around for a few days now on the Patriots forum, but more as a 'fantasy scenario' rather than something that might actually happen.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-...t=42892&page=1

How are the Steelers fixed for salary cap space?

Pittsburgh currently ranks as a bottom 5 team in terms of passing the ball (YPG) despite having a middle rank amount of attempts.

I would say that their need is greater.

NM
the steelers need another wr like they need another hole in the head. they led the league in ypa last year with a devised scheme of not needing to pass 30 times a game. plus they couldnt afford moss with current contracts of ben and polamalu that need extended.

so...they dont have the need, money, or the trade bait that the pats have. if you cant see the pats need for a deep threat, or the fact that moss would be an upgrade i dont know whats wrong with you. unless you think pointing out an area of need widely accepted by pundits and analysts all over is a slam. while brady is throwing the ball and doing ok spreading it around, a significantly lower % is going to the wr's.

what do you have to suggest moss wouldnt take the 7 million or so a year the pats were willing to give branch? like i said the moss and dillon situation are almost mirror images.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:19 PM   #12
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i havent seen or heard anyone mention this but it just seems too obvious. while it made sense that r. moss would be willing to leave oakland he made it official in a recent foxsports interview where he said theres alot of people not happy there and he would be more than willing to play somewhere else.

everyone knows the pats have talked to the raiders. they couldnt have worked out a trade for d. gabriel otherwise. im sure feelers were put out for players like moss or porter. there were rumors they were interested in lelie. the one thing that has hurt them the most this year has been the lack of a deep threat. in fact, moss is such a deep threat, you have to wonder if brady has the armstrength to keep up. sometimes culpepper didnt. moss would have his most accurate passer since his rookie year where he put up 17 td's.

moss wouldnt be that much more than d. branch's asking price. the money saved by not having vinatieri or branch could probably pay for moss in itself. why would a team that is supposedly committed to fielding a playoff team year after year, stockpile money and risk alienating its star player?

i cant see why the patriots wouldnt try to make this happen. the precedent is there when they moved to acquired c. dillon. the passing game now is almost in the same situation the running game was then.

the question is what would it take to pry moss from al davis's hands?

the pats 1st round draft pick in 07
m. cassell and
c. jackson?

i was beginning to think if the pats receiving game didnt start to pick up like it did against the bengals we could even see a trade this season especially if it continued to get worse.
Won't Moss upset/violate the whole Belichick "team" thing he has going on...
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #13
tony hipchest

Quote:
Pittsburgh currently ranks as a bottom 5 team in terms of passing the ball (YPG) despite having a middle rank amount of attempts.

I would say that their need is greater.
just to expand on this point the pats wr's have 33 catches for 396 yards and 4 td's through 4 games. thats 99 yards and 1 td/ game

steelers? 24catches 307 yards and 2 td's. about 102 ypg. both sets of wr get about 8 catches a game. if roethlisberger and the steelers led the league in passing last year i'd be a little concerned. the pats wr's are looking very steeleresque. are any of their wr's injured? i know s. smith and d. stallworth havent quite been the same with their hamstring injury. im expecting ward to pick it up with 2 weeks of rest and a full month of practice.

i know the answer is ben watson is like a receiver and they have a strong running game and that is great, especially if you wanna have a team like the falcons, chiefs or chargers. but ben watson better step it up with his 3 reception and less than 50 yard per game average. not very gates, gonzalez, or crumpler like.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:43 PM   #14
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo View Post
Won't Moss upset/violate the whole Belichick "team" thing he has going on...
by doing what? i guess if he wanted to he could but why would he want to? the same questions were asked about bringing malcontent dillon in. word is moss has been a good teammate in oakland. you hear nothing worse from him these days than you did from dillon in his latter days with the bengals.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:23 PM   #15
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

Quote:
by doing what? i guess if he wanted to he could but why would he want to? the same questions were asked about bringing malcontent dillon in. word is moss has been a good teammate in oakland. you hear nothing worse from him these days than you did from dillon in his latter days with the bengals.
I have always liked Moss -- even when he was mooning Lambeau Field ....I have a little different point of view -- IMHO, I will always take good players no matter what baggage (unless it's legal troubles that would effect playing time) they bring because it only matters to me what they do on the field -- TO can attempt suicide every week as long as he shows for practice and performs -- you make a good point with the Dillon comment ...I would take Moss on the Steelers as a perfect compliment to Ward also -- a good player is a good player is a good player -- IMHO
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:34 PM   #16
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
the steelers need another wr like they need another hole in the head. they led the league in ypa last year with a devised scheme of not needing to pass 30 times a game. plus they couldnt afford moss with current contracts of ben and polamalu that need extended.
They could start by getting rid of Wilson and Washington.

Wilson is a No.2 receiver in name for the Steelers yet he has only ever caught more than 35 balls once in his career - and that was for the 49ers.

Last year with the Steelers he managed 26.

Quote:
so...they dont have the need, money, or the trade bait that the pats have. if you cant see the pats need for a deep threat, or the fact that moss would be an upgrade i dont know whats wrong with you.
So the Patriots need a 'deep threat' but the Steelers dont?

Who has been the deep threat this year for the Steelers?

Wilson maybe?

Who averages 1 catch a game?

As for upgrades - Moss is better than anything the Steelers or patriots have on their roster in terms of talent - that cannot be disputed.

Quote:
unless you think pointing out an area of need widely accepted by pundits and analysts all over is a slam
I've heard alot of 'pundits' tell everyone who'd listen that the Patriots are done, that they have made one cheapskate move too many - then I look at them back pedal after we dismantle the 'No.1' team in the AFC.

Quote:
while brady is throwing the ball and doing ok spreading it around, a significantly lower % is going to the wr's.
A lower % is going to the WR's because they, unlike Corey Dillon,Kevin Faulk, Ben Watson and Daniel Graham are mostly new to the Patriots scheme this year.

I expect Caldwell and Gabriel to start for us this week - they have barely started a game for the Patriots.

Quote:
what do you have to suggest moss wouldnt take the 7 million or so a year the pats were willing to give branch? like i said the moss and dillon situation are almost mirror images.
Corey Dillon was a calculated gamble by the Patriots after some pretty tough interviews - I can't say for sure that Moss wouldn't react the same as he has but I would think it unlikely - Dillon always gave 100% on the field.

Last year was mostly an anomaly regarding the amount of attempts Brady had - we had guys off the street starting at RB at certain stages of the season, and due to our injury list on D we were chasing alot of games.

This year figures to be different, I expect the patriots to keep the ball on the ground out of choice, not necessity.

We have one of the best RB combo's in the league - why would we be airing out long bombs - even last year we didnt hit a massive amount of deep throws.

NM

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 10-04-2006 at 04:40 PM.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:18 PM   #17
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

Quote:
in fact, moss is such a deep threat, you have to wonder if brady has the armstrength to keep up.
Yeah, that would be the stopper, otherwise they'd do it in a heartbeat. Say, maybe we could trade Brady to Okland and have Troy Brown play QB for us.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:03 AM   #18
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
They could start by getting rid of Wilson and Washington.

Wilson is a No.2 receiver in name for the Steelers yet he has only ever caught more than 35 balls once in his career - and that was for the 49ers.

Last year with the Steelers he managed 26.

So the Patriots need a 'deep threat' but the Steelers dont?

Who has been the deep threat this year for the Steelers?

Wilson maybe?

As for upgrades - Moss is better than anything the Steelers or patriots have on their roster in terms of talent - that cannot be disputed.

I've heard alot of 'pundits' tell everyone who'd listen that the Patriots are done, that they have made one cheapskate move too many - then I look at them back pedal after we dismantle the 'No.1' team in the AFC.

A lower % is going to the WR's because they, unlike Corey Dillon,Kevin Faulk, Ben Watson and Daniel Graham are mostly new to the Patriots scheme this year.

I expect Caldwell and Gabriel to start for us this week - they have barely started a game for the Patriots.

Corey Dillon was a calculated gamble by the Patriots after some pretty tough interviews - I can't say for sure that Moss wouldn't react the same as he has but I would think it unlikely - Dillon always gave 100% on the field.

Last year was mostly an anomaly regarding the amount of attempts Brady had - we had guys off the street starting at RB at certain stages of the season, and due to our injury list on D we were chasing alot of games.

This year figures to be different, I expect the patriots to keep the ball on the ground out of choice, not necessity.

We have one of the best RB combo's in the league - why would we be airing out long bombs - even last year we didnt hit a massive amount of deep throws.

NM
uhhhm. why do you keep bringing up the steelers in this thread? cant you see the topic is randy moss to the patriots? i have clearly stated that the steelers do not have the NEED (holmes and reid were drafted for their speed and capabilities to get behind the secondary- holmes is new to the team, he will eventually start) the MONEY or the TRADE BAIT. what part about that do you not understand?

the steelers have already had the poor mans randy moss and they couldnt afford him. they won a sb after letting him walk to the giants. if i could trade wilson and washington and have moss accept their $2.something mil in contracts id do it in a heartbeat. but this isnt about the steelers. they havent lost their top wr.

this is about the patriots. when moss says he would be traded you have to realisticly look at the teams that could possibly get it done and the patriots happen to be one of them. what part about that do you not understand?

you are unreal and your reaction is a riot. you trully seem offended at the suggestion that moss would help the patriots. get over it and get a clue.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:57 PM   #19
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

"Who has been the deep threat this year for the Steelers?

Wilson maybe?

As for upgrades - Moss is better than anything the Steelers or patriots have on their roster in terms of talent - that cannot be disputed."

I agree LITP. Moss would give the Steelers that deep threat and a nice big target for their interception prone QB.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:45 PM   #20
Stillers#1
Banned

Member Number: 1082

I, personally, wou dlove to see Moss in a Steelers uniform. He seems to have calmed down quite a bit from his old self. I don't think Wislon is the answer, neither is Holmes. Holmes is not going to turn into a Steve Smith, or Santana Moss type player. I just don't see this happening.

I would say go with Moss for us, he is aging, and you know he wants a ring. Why go with a bunch of "might be's" when they could possbily negotiate an "already is".

TH - I know this thread is about the Pats, but Moss in a Steelers uniform, I think, would be a good thing. We have too much "upside" in our WR's, and not enough output.
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote