Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-05-2006, 08:50 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Haynes Turns Pain into Hope

Haynes wants to turn his pain into hope for others
Thursday, October 5, 2006

It was just moments after practice ended at the Steelers facility on the South Side when Verron Haynes sat down on a bench, wiped the sweat off his forehead and sat back to relax and collect his thoughts.

The warm afternoon sun glistened off the river, while leaves changing colors dotted the hillside.

The calm surroundings on the picture-perfect fall afternoon provided a deep contrast to the intensity that just took place on the field.

For Haynes, that peaceful atmosphere was just right. Because as he began talking about his cousin, his mind was somewhere else at times, possibly reverting back to a happier time in his life.

Haynes cousin, Kadine DeCosta, was like a sister to him. She grew up in the same house as he did. She was a friend, a confidant and someone he loved dearly.

"When I got to the NFL she was the sister who kept me straight," said Haynes. "We grew up together. She would come to the games. On draft day I got away from everybody, I didn't want anyone around. No party or anything. I just wanted to be with my loved ones. There was just my daughter, my mom, Kadine and my brother. I didn't want anything else. Those were the four people I wanted around me."

What saddens Haynes these days is the absence of DeCosta in his life and the life of his family. She lost her battle with breast cancer almost three years ago, losing her life at just 26-years old.

"When it hits so close to home, it hurts really bad," said Haynes, his voice trailing off for a moment. "The treatment was the hard part. Seeing such a pretty young lady and the transformation it had on her. I think that was difficult to deal with, especially in the last days. Trying to be there for her and seeing her go through that was hard for our family to go through."

Haynes knows there is nothing he can do to bring DeCosta back. But there is something he can do to help others. And he is.

"Her death really made me more alert of breast cancer," said Haynes. "I started a foundation so we can better understand what is going on and try to find a cure. I know it affects a lot of homes. It is something I want out there to recognize it is a problem. We have to come together and try to come up with something."

His foundation, the Verron Haynes Foundation, is still in the young stages. Haynes helps raise funds for it by doing autograph sessions and speaking engagements. He would like some day to set up a scholarship in his cousin's name.

This year Haynes is reaching out to others touched by the disease. He has invited either a breast cancer survivor or someone who is currently undergoing treatment to Steelers home games.

"I just want to let them know that someone cares," said Haynes.

And Haynes does care. He wants to encourage women to go for regular checkups and mammograms. He doesn't want them to ignore any of the warning signs. He knows that early detection is the best defense against the disease.

"I definitely want to raise the awareness," said Haynes. "The earlier you catch it the better. When I speak about it I talk about having the tests done and checking on it. It's important to raise awareness. That is what I talk about.

"If we could just do something to help find a cure, that's what it's about."
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:59 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,530 Times in 3,968 Posts
Default Re: Haynes Turns Pain into Hope

every wednesday on sirius radio, he does an interview with adam schein, and i tell you what... he gives one of the best interviews. when you listen to him, you cant tell that hes not the #1 back or even the team leader. he never bitches or complains about carries and is always striving to do his best for the team. a few weeks ago, he was totally stand-up about the fumble he lost, but he wasnt down or lacking confidence. he addressed his mistake of trying to make something out of nothing (to help the team) and put it behind him.

this article doesnt suprise me a bit. great guy.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:43 PM   #3
holmes
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3121

Haynes is a wonderful person

Last edited by holmes; 10-05-2006 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Don't want to offend anyone
holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:06 PM   #4
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes View Post
He may be a great guy, but he needs to hold on to the ball just like Colclough. Everyone seems to forget he fumbled away the game also.
outch.......this isnt about football right now......make a new thread to talk about that..
This is character......show some