Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-05-2006, 05:59 PM   #11
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408
Default Re: Pass happy, Whisenhunt led Steeler O... YUCK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Professor View Post
I don't agree with these posts. While I agree that we need to still have the run as #1 priority, to say that we should go into SD trying only to run the ball is absurd. Last year they were great against the run, not so good pass defense. Also coachspeak, your claim that ben is 0-2 as the focal point of the offense is equally erroneous. In Indianapolis and Denver last year, we hardly ever ran the ball and won by passing the ball. Also your stats in regard to the 30 attemps are scewed and not exactly representative because we are often behind in those games, naturally lending ourselves to losing those games. Games in which we are ahead a lot by passing a lot (Indy, Cincy, Denver) we end up running just to seal the deal and run out the clock. Number of attempts does not correlate exactly with passing efficiency. So coachspeak33, I think you're wrong on this one. The pass needs to be an increasingly important part of our offense this year.

Agreed, The steelers have been behind this year so they are going to throw more. In other words, throwing over 30 times a game is a symptom of their struggles - not the cause.

How many of you who think the Steelers are throwing too much now, thought the Steelers were throwing too much the first fifteen minutes of the Colt's playoff game last year?
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:17 PM   #12
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKIESTEEL View Post
Yes and no. No if we are throwing picks yes if we are makeing first downs. We need to run to win!!!
The Chargers are giving up 3.3 yards per carry and 118 yards passing per game. On paper they have few weaknesses on defense. A balanced attack is what I'd like to see.

And sorry but I don't see Whiz as being pass happy. We've given the ball to Parker 71 times. That's third in the AFC behind Tomlinson (76) and Larry Johnson (74) after 3 games.

Maybe it just seems as if we are pass "happy" (actually sad) because that part of our offense stinks right now.

Anyway. I think this game will be won or lost not on offense but on defense. If we don't give up an early big lead then expect Parker to get a respectable 23-30 rushes.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:39 PM   #13
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

I'm not sure where this post came from. 1st and 2nd down, it seems the ball's going right up the gut, just like it always has, only with less of an effect early in ballgames.

Ben has to be more of an adaptable threat on playaction, IMHO. He's certainly been that in years past, but something's different this year so far. He played absolutely horrible last game, whereas Willy was a stud.

We need our TOP back, for our defense to make a difference.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:26 PM   #14
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachspeak33 View Post
I made a thread on here before discussing the pass happy play calling of Kenny Whisenhunt. Becoming an offense built around passing first doesnt make a whole lot of sense.

We simply do not have the personnel on the offensive side of the football to make the pass our #1 priority.

Position Main reason that passy happy O wont work
QB When he attempts around 20 passes...... we win
When he attempts around 30 passes...... we lose nearly 85% of the time

WR Our WR's strengths are blocking and precise route running
They are not burners whose physical abilities scare opposing D's
A gritty group more suited for reliable play than excellent play

OLine Alan Faneca is the best LG in the NFL.... on running plays
He isnt close to being the best pass blocking G
Our running scheme is unmatched (only Denver is close)

Run the football Kenny!!!!!!!!!
Someone needs to remind the Whiz that he DIDNT take the Oakland job
Quit calling these passing plays, especially on 1st down, as if Al Davis himself is sitting on your lap in the booth.

Come on Steelers ..... lets go ram it down SD's throat this sunday ....... lets remind the whole NFL what we are all about...... pounding the rock...... controlling the clock .... and knocking people's heads off

In that kinda game....... we are the best in the league......... period
I'm sure that these stats have been thrown in the faces of the Steelers coaches 1000 times. My belief is that Stats don't win games. I believe that the Steelers have been VERY EFFECTIVE with running the ball this year. As someone else has already pointed out, the problem with the Steelers offense this year is Roethlisberger's anemic play thus far.

The Steelers coaches are doing their best with the game plan. The bottom line is this:
The Steelers and EVERY OTHER NFL team are going to lose games and in those losses they're not going to look very effective whether it be on the offensive or defensive side of the ball. Yes we lost 2 straight but nearly every other team is going to lose 2 in a row at some point during the season. I would rather lose early than late. Losses, and at times an ineffective looking offense, is nothing more than life in the NFL. Geez you act as if we have Dennis Green's coaching staff. Why don't we all call for heads to roll?

Last edited by Steel Pit; 10-05-2006 at 11:32 PM.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:18 AM   #15
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

Dennis Green???? - dont know where that came from.

Actually the stats do point to Whisenhunt being "pass-happy" ..... on 1st down.... which is what I said in the first place.
-last two games Whisenhunt has made play calls on 54 1st downs
-33 pass attempts (not including pass plays that ended in sacks)
-22 of those 33 pass attempts fell incomplete

Ineffective play on 1st down leads to 2nd/3rd & long.... which leads to Steelers losses.... so stats can tell a different story.

And as far as the whole, "we are behind already and thats why in games we lose Ben throws more", that is a chicken and the egg thing..... which came first?

And the statistics that show carries we give to our running game.... those can be skewed too....

Are draw plays and delayed hand-offs on 3rd and 9 really the kind of running plays we want to use to establish the run.... I dont think so.
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote