Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-09-2006, 12:58 AM   #11
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: OK - Why Has It All Come Apart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersHoss View Post
Man, this is ridiculous. Everyone is all over them already. I will admit that they are in trouble, but come on. You people bashing Cohwer, and the whole team, were probably the same fans who claimed that they were the best in the world after they won the Superbowl and wanted them as the President of the United States. Which way to the Bandwagon???
Cut them some slack will ya. We are SteelerNation. We support them 100% win or Lose
Supporting them 100 percent doesn't mean I am blind. There seems to not have been the desire. Furthermore... Thier DB's have been suspect over the last 4 years. Don't you remember how teams could still drive through the air on us last year?

I have been scared of our DB's against the pass for the last few years. That is not bashing.. that is being honest.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:16 AM   #12
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

At this point in time, I'm really all out of answers. It seemed like everything has come unraveled all at the same time. Ben is still making bad decisions, the OL has only looked good against average-to-bad defenses, horrible play-calling and the defense is not making big plays when they needed. It's extremely frustrating for me as a fan and I'm sure for every single person in the Steelers' locker room.

All I can do is hope they right themselves and get the ship back on track, because I sure as hell am not giving up on them. There's plenty of football left, and while their situation is not good, it is NOT insurmountable.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:30 AM   #13
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

OK... so we are 1-3... are we ready to throw in towel now?... well... not me.. I love our team and we are just struggling with our passing game right now. Dont give up on our team just yet.. we have a long road ahead of us but we can get things turned around. I agree that Cowher just doesnt seem to have the same fire but I hope that he has enough respect for the Rooneys not to let his team down over a contract dispute.. I love Cowher and I think that everyone is on him Way Too Early... We have a long road ahead of us and now we will find our who the true Steelers fans are...
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:43 AM   #14
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2268

Quote:
Man, this is ridiculous. Everyone is all over them already. I will admit that they are in trouble, but come on. You people bashing Cohwer, and the whole team, were probably the same fans who claimed that they were the best in the world after they won the Superbowl and wanted them as the President of the United States. Which way to the Bandwagon???
Cut them some slack will ya. We are SteelerNation. We support them 100% win or Lose

You get em Hoss. We cans still do it

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
ARKIESTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:26 AM   #15
Btrice
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Supporting them 100 percent doesn't mean I am blind.
Very much agreed.

There is a fan on the opposite side of the spectrum from the "fair weather fan", he is called "caecoptimisticus infinitas" (he of infinite blind-optimism, or something like that, my Latin leaves much to be desired) This fan finds the good in everything no matter how much trouble stares him in the face. Burying your head in positive thinking is the same as burying your head in the sand.

This team has problems. Until they get them fixed we are going to continue to lose. And we'll deserve it. But that criticism in no way means I want them to lose or will not continue to hope they turn it around.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:59 AM   #16
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Great post Hoss and I'm with you hon!

Reading some of the comments in the game day thread earlier this morning made me want to heave. Some of you call yourselves Steelers fans? Throwing in your TT's just 4 games into the season???? Calling for Cowher's head???? Wanting to shatter Ben's confidence when he is trying to get it back and put in Batch???? I also noted that many of you don't come around unless the Steelers are in trouble during a game - what the hell is that all about? Nevermind - the answer is pretty clear.

Blind optimism my ass. It's called faith in and loyalty to an organization and team I have loved for over 40 years, a team I have experienced the highs and lows with and a team that has given me season upon season of excitement, surprises and fulfillment. If we were in Week 12 or 13, I could possibly understand some of the comments, but for God's sake - we're FOUR games into the season and some of you want to throw in the towel and declare this season over - do you even realize how ridiculous that sounds????

I also am not blind to the problems that the team is experiencing, but as I've said in other threads, they are fixable. There are 12 weeks of football remaining (3/4 of the season) and I'm going to continue to believe that this team will get it together. When adversity stared them in the face last season, they believed enough in themselves and each other to put their noses to the grindstone and do whatever it took to win 8 straight en route to the Super Bowl. If they don't travel the same path this season for whatever reason, sure I'll be somewhat disappointed, but I'm still going to be standing there right beside them and looking forward to next season as I've done in the past. Steelers fans have become spoiled, plain and simple.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:07 AM   #17
Btrice
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3145

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Blind optimism my ass. It's called faith in and loyalty to an organization and team I have loved for over 40 years, a team I have experienced the highs and lows with and a team that has given me season upon season of excitement, surprises and fulfillment.
Fine, if not blind optimism, in your case its anti-realism coupled with the typical "I'm a better fan than you" attitude. Sure the problems can be fixed, but they had a week off to fix some things and the pass protection issue is one we've had for several years now. Its obvious that a couple of these problems are here to stay. Shattering Ben's confidence requires that there has to be something there to shatter in the first place. Anybody who pays attention to the games can see Cowher isn't nearly as active on the sidelines as he has been in years past.

If you really are a "Hometown" person, than you should be used to people in Pittsburgh REQUIRING more of a work ethic from their sports teams than they are getting this season. This reaction from most of the people on here doesn't surprise me. I worked at Irvin and E.T. steel mills for a couple years during college, and some of the biggest Stiller fans I have ever met in my life worked there and even they had some of the same reactions as I am seeing here today. Sure the team wasn't as good back then, but those guys could smell the difference between lack of skill and lackluster hustling. The talent is there, no doubt about it, its just in some cases the players/coaches aren't doing their jobs.

I may not be as old as you but I've been a fan for 27 some odd years now and never during that time has my "fandom" been idealistic.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:46 AM   #18
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,491 Times in 3,734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Steelers fans have become spoiled, plain and simple.
Well, you are correct about that. Regularly going to the playoffs, an increasingly unlikely occurrence this season, will do that to you.

In Cowher's tenure, I believe the only 2 teams that started 1-3 were the 2000 team (which actually started 0-3 and went 9-4 the rest of the way in a season that began with the failed Kent Graham experiment) and the 2002 team (which went 9-2-1 the rest of the regular season after an 0-2 start).

In both cases there was a big shake-up at QB, with Kordell replacing Graham in 2000 and Maddox replacing Kordell in game 3 of the 2002 season (with Kordell steppping in as a relief pitcher while Maddox recuperated from being paralyzed in the Titans game).

The Steelers are entering a softer part of their schedule, but with a 1-3 start they probably need to go 10-2 the rest of the way to have a realistic shot at the playoffs. Anything is possible, but with road games at Baltimore, Cincy, Atlanta, and Carolina, they have left themselves little margin for error and now are at a disadvantage on tiebreakers with 2 potential candidates for the wild card.

This team needs to throttle the Chiefs on Sunday and hopefully get some confidence back.
Talking about almost being there is nice, but blowing a lead in the second half again provides scant reason for optimism.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:15 PM   #19
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btrice View Post
Fine, if not blind optimism, in your case its anti-realism coupled with the typical "I'm a better fan than you" attitude. Sure the problems can be fixed, but they had a week off to fix some things and the pass protection issue is one we've had for several years now. Its obvious that a couple of these problems are here to stay. Shattering Ben's confidence requires that there has to be something there to shatter in the first place. Anybody who pays attention to the games can see Cowher isn't nearly as active on the sidelines as he has been in years past.

If you really are a "Hometown" person, than you should be used to people in Pittsburgh REQUIRING more of a work ethic from their sports teams than they are getting this season. This reaction from most of the people on here doesn't surprise me. I worked at Irvin and E.T. steel mills for a couple years during college, and some of the biggest Stiller fans I have ever met in my life worked there and even they had some of the same reactions as I am seeing here today. Sure the team wasn't as good back then, but those guys could smell the difference between lack of skill and lackluster hustling. The talent is there, no doubt about it, its just in some cases the players/coaches aren't doing their jobs.

I may not be as old as you but I've been a fan for 27 some odd years now and never during that time has my "fandom" been idealistic.
Anti-realism? LMAO!!!!! Mmmmkay. Reading some of your very own comments last night in the game thread shows a bit of contradiction to what you state above, Btrice.

Nothing is or should be obvious to me or any other knowledgeable football fan only FOUR weeks into a season. Being a "hometown" gal most of my life, I know all too well what Pittsburgh fans, especially when it comes to the Steelers, "expect" from their team and I've always felt it was totally unrealistic and unfair. No team, whether it be a professional football club, hockey team, baseball or basketball team, is going to have a winning season every single year or play up to potential every single game, but yet some of you expect nothing less. All pro sports franchises have highs and lows but the true test of a team's character is how they handle the highs and resolve the lows. Only 4 weeks into a 16 game season, I'd think it's fair to suffice that this team has more than ample time to resolve its "lows", work on its problem areas and at the very minimum, make this season at least somewhat respectable.

As for your comment that I have an "I'm a better fan than you" attitude, I'm not going to elaborate on it but I will say this. Those who have come to know me here know all too well what a totally ridiculous statement that is. I am an optimist regarding life in general, as well as towards the teams I love and am loyal to - I focus on the positives instead of dwelling on the negatives. The Rooneys and Cowher have rarely let us down in the past and I'm going to continue to believe that they will come up with the right recipe to turn the team back in the right direction.

P.S. As far as "paying attention to Bill Cowher on the sidelines" - I'm too engrossed in paying attention to the the game itself to watch our HC's mannerisms and animations on the sidelines or lack thereof.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:31 PM   #20
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545

The offense is inconsistent as is the play of the special teams. If they would all show up for the same game we would be okay. Granted Ben still looks rusty which is all the more reason receivers can't drop balls. The special teams puts our defense in tough situations. At this point I'm hoping for a 10-6 season, which is what I thought we would do before the beginning of the season. Now I'm not to sure that even thats possible.
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote