Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-09-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default The Steelers Lack Leadership

Now I havn't been posting on this site lately. Wanted to come back and see what was being said after this recent let down against the Chargers. But yea Ben making horrible decisions is killing us bigtime. We can sit here and make excuse and excuse for him. But I'm not one for making excuses. He needs to step up bigtime. I remember before the accident there were questions about Ben's work ethic and that he really doesn't put in the extra work in to be a very good NFL QB. I know I had a conversation I think it was with Tony about we were hoping after the accident that Ben would finally become more of a film student and put in the extra work. I don't think Ben is and its reflecting with his play on the field.

But another big reason this team is 1-3 right now. Its looks like the Steelers have such a lack of leadership right now. I think we miss Jerome Bettis as the team leader bigtime. We all thought that Hines Ward, Alan Faneca, Joey Porter could pick up the slack of the leadership void when Bettis retired. I don't think anyone has. The whole look like they just quit and didn't care in the second half against the Chargers last night. I think Bill Cowher already has made up his mind that he won't be back next year. To me he is a lame duck coach.

We can all sit here and say the Steelers turned it around last year. But that was last year and this team is alot different. I mean forone Hines Ward looks like he doesn't even care. He seems content that he has his big pay day now, has a ring, has a Super Bowl MVP. The whole team looks like they are living on last years accomplishments. I'm out and peace out to you all.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900
Default Re: The Steelers Lack Leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
Now I havn't been posting on this site lately. Wanted to come back and see what was being said after this recent let down against the Chargers. But yea Ben making horrible decisions is killing us bigtime. We can sit here and make excuse and excuse for him. But I'm not one for making excuses. He needs to step up bigtime. I remember before the accident there were questions about Ben's work ethic and that he really doesn't put in the extra work in to be a very good NFL QB. I know I had a conversation I think it was with Tony about we were hoping after the accident that Ben would finally become more of a film student and put in the extra work. I don't think Ben is and its reflecting with his play on the field.

But another big reason this team is 1-3 right now. Its looks like the Steelers have such a lack of leadership right now. I think we miss Jerome Bettis as the team leader bigtime. We all thought that Hines Ward, Alan Faneca, Joey Porter could pick up the slack of the leadership void when Bettis retired. I don't think anyone has. The whole look like they just quit and didn't care in the second half against the Chargers last night. I think Bill Cowher already has made up his mind that he won't be back next year. To me he is a lame duck coach.

We can all sit here and say the Steelers turned it around last year. But that was last year and this team is alot different. I mean forone Hines Ward looks like he doesn't even care. He seems content that he has his big pay day now, has a ring, has a Super Bowl MVP. The whole team looks like they are living on last years accomplishments. I'm out and peace out to you all.

I don't want to go into a long drawn out post here, but I will say that Hines had is pay day at the very beg of last year. I don't buy that reason, I will however buy that he and some other vets on this team are resting on their laurels from last years SB win.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:09 PM   #3
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark View Post
I don't want to go into a long drawn out post here, but I will say that Hines had is pay day at the very beg of last year. I don't buy that reason, I will however buy that he and some other vets on this team are resting on their laurels from last years SB win.
Dude the only reason I mentioned his contract since it was apart of last years laurels with winning the Super Bowl. He just doesn't look like he has the same passion for the game.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:23 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,838 Times in 2,700 Posts

Hines appeared passionate enough when he blocked the DB into and out of the end zone on Parker's TD run last night. However, Hines hamstring may have lost its passion for the game, a not unexpected problem with a receiver in his early 30s who has a style that punishes both his opponents and his own body. Hines and other players (Porter has been a non-factor since opening night against Miami) may be at the stage of their careers where their minds are writing checks their bodies can no longer cash.

This is not a young team - combine that with what I regarded as a lack of urgency in preseason and Cowher wondering what he will be doing in 2007 and we probably should not be as shocked as we are by this sort of start.

While Hines ran away from his quote in SI that Cincy was a must win game, that luxury is gone. Playing .500 ball will lead to a 7-9 record. The Steelers now have a pile of must win games (KC, both Baltimore games, and Denver to name a few) on their schedule. You cannot win 10 games in 1 week, but if the Steelers do not come out fired up for KC then this team has lost its fire.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:06 PM   #5
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

leadership? maybe but i think it is our play calling, we should of never went for the fake punt gadget whatever thingy play. if we wanted to go for it we should of put ben or batch in.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:18 PM   #6
steelfan 92
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2630

i don't;t think it is leadership, someone needs to tell ben it is ok to take a sack and punt, there is no need to throw it up for anyone to catch. jerome was a big loss, but we have a lot of veterean guys. they just need to come together and be on the same page.
steelfan 92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:50 PM   #7
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
He just doesn't look like he has the same passion for the game.

I'm in total agreement.
Hines has been pulling a long face ever since training camp along with the fact that he's mentioned in more than one interview that he's talked quite a bit lately with Jerome Bettis about life after football and developing a career in the media.
His mind seems like it's elsewhere.

It's not only Hines but this whole team seems to have no fire in its Ass.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:16 PM   #8
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambridge View Post
I'm in total agreement.
Hines has been pulling a long face ever since training camp along with the fact that he's mentioned in more than one interview that he's talked quite a bit lately with Jerome Bettis about life after football and developing a career in the media.
His mind seems like it's elsewhere.

It's not only Hines but this whole team seems to have no fire in its Ass.
I also agree that its the whole team. But you reall can tell with Hines Ward right now.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:29 PM   #9
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfan 92 View Post
i don't;t think it is leadership, someone needs to tell ben it is ok to take a sack and punt, there is no need to throw it up for anyone to catch. jerome was a big loss, but we have a lot of veterean guys. they just need to come together and be on the same page.
We're not getting the plays when we need em. That's all.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:40 PM   #10
Dynasty
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2396

And did anyone notice that after his 2nd pick, Ben pulled a Brister and started smiling all nonchalantly? If he is going to be a leader, he needs to give a "play mistake-free football" kind of vibe. Not the "it doesn't really matter" vibe it seems like he is giving off.