Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-09-2006, 05:11 PM   #11
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717
Default Re: An Outsiders Perspective

not to sound like ive lost faith in them but going 7-5 to superbowl victory wasnt an easy task. we wouldnt of made it to the playoffs if we would have faced real teams. we faced the lions, browns, and 1 more. yes the bears game was great but lets see if we can do that this year. our offense is off track and our defense is getting tired of being on the field. we need someone or something to happen to have a ticket to miami in feb.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:28 PM   #12
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark View Post
A man standing on the sideline (Cowher) with your arms folded and a blank stare is not a General!

Time to lick some wounds and get ready for a newlife KC team.
I know of a man just like that but, instead of having his arms crossed and a blank stare, he just writes on a clipboard.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:18 PM   #13
Blitzburgh
Banned

Member Number: 2863

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark View Post
A man standing on the sideline (Cowher) with your arms folded and a blank stare is not a General! .

This is what bothered me. Cowher looks and sounds like a man who's "checked out" already. No passion, no fire, no ralling the troops. His blank stare at the scoreboard hoping it would automatically change as he watched it reminded me of the old Korky Stewart "deer in headlights" look.
Blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:27 PM   #14
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Hey all,

Just thought id jot down a few thoughts regarding the Steelers season so far, it has been absorbing stuff although obviously not very enjoyable for most of you guys.

I think alot of the poster related anguish has been caused by unrealistic expectations running into this season.

I have said this many times, but all teams have their weaknesses be it on offense or on defense - its how you cope and adapt throughout the season that defines how and when that season finishes.

Alot of our 'new' posters seem to think that Steelers regular season success was pretty much a given this year based upon winning the SB last year.

Its the same thing that plagues the Patriots board, despite mostly winning under BB and Kraft it doesnt take too long for fans to turn against them - the odd bad result is enough to ensure all sorts of crazy talk.

Well last years regular season wasn't particularly impressive from a Steeler point of view, and as you all remember it required favors from other teams to get you into the postseason.

What happened in the postseason from that point on was pretty astonishing, the uncharacteristic freedom that Pittsburgh played with was unlike any other Cowher led playoff team.

Alot of factors fell into place to make Pittsburgh champions last year, but I cant really think of a time when they were dominant over a period of 3 or 4 games consecutively.

Pittsburgh was a good team last year, that played great at the right times and they would have been exactly the same this year (a good team, that is) if it wasn't for the injury problems suffered by Ben.

Cowher remains a good coach, but obviously not a great one, who leads a good team.

Every game is a battle, that talk of 13-3 is a little on the crazy side but 10-6 is attainable - and maybe that will be enough to get you into the postseason..and from then on...who knows?

Never throw the towel in before the fat lady sings, you'll only look foolish trying to scramble back on the bandwagon if it all comes back together.

NM

There is no such thing as "unrealistic expectations" in regards to acheievement LITP. It's simply a matter of what your are prepared to do to make such expectations reality. 13-3 is VERY attainable,.... IF the f/O, the coaching staff and our CORE players do whatever it takes to make it so.
As far as us being "exactly" the same as last year if Ben was healthy,....knock it off,....he doesn't have the ground game's protection (Bussy) and NO help in regards to targets outside of Hine's and Heath. This is'nt knocking him,....he's our guy for years to come,....but he was never a great pure passer to begin with. The kid needs alot of help to win. I've always said this,......it's nothing new.
In regards to coach,.......he's stubborn, inflexible and overly conservative for the most part,.....but if you prove that you are TRUELY worth his trust he'll handle it accordingly.
He won't say it to John Q public,.......but he knows who's worthy and who's just lucky with some,... "upside".
He's (Coach) been trying to make "Lemonade out of Lemons" in regards to personel for years and has accuited himself well considering what he's been given in regards to crucial positions, due to the cap and the unwillingness of the F/O to keep and or Draft the correct players.
Bottom line,........this is our house, we can VENT anyway we decide,...Nobody's throwing in any Terrible Towel's until we're carried by six. Your opinion is respected,....but this is FAMILY buisness.

"HAIL CAESAR,.........HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:37 PM   #15
I.C. Lights
Starter

Member Number: 530

LITP has some good points, but I definitely can think of a time when we played 3 or 4 dominant games in a row, and it was 2 years ago when we went 15-1. That team was essentially the same as last year's team - both were great.

So what's the difference now? Well, we've had some injuries and we've lost some players. Our biggest injuries, however, are mental: Ben has obviously lost some focus and the team has lost an essential leader in Bettis. Our biggest loss is the loss of hunger. It's what defined our team last year avenging a playoff loss that never should have happened the year before. Now, its just not there and it shows.

The good news of all this is that it can be changed. I don't believe the problem lies in our personnel, not to the extent our current record reflects anyway. I agree with those who said we need some adjustments. We also need a spark. The next three games are extremely winnable and extremely important to provide that spark.
I.C. Lights is offline   Reply With Quote