Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-12-2006, 06:26 PM   #1
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Default Who do you think should be our team leader?

So, here is my question... who do you think needs to step up and take over as the leader of our '06 Steelers?
I think that Ben has to stand up and take charge of this team and let his teammates know that he is gonna take all these failures on his shoulders and carry our team back to where we are supposed to be.... Do you agree?
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:33 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,517 Times in 3,750 Posts
Default Re: Who do you think should be our team leader?

My impression is that Ben was not regarded with universal admiration by his team mates even after the Super Bowl win and that his selfish/stupid act of putting the team's prospects at risk by tooling around town without a helmet on a bike that was far too powerful for someone with his limited riding skills to be operating confirms that for now he is not leading his teammates in much of anything except trips to the emergency room.

With Porter hurt, the leaders to step up would seem to be Farrior, Faneca, and (if he starts making some plays) Ward.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:24 PM   #3
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

i dont think you can choose to be a leader as much as you need to be an impacting player on the team and earn their trust by playing well. the leader is the speaker of the house, i think we have plenty of leaders and i also think that we lost about 260 pounds of leadership to CBS. i do agree that ben does need to step up and become our all time leader.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:32 PM   #4
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

I think thats one of the big problems with this team right now is there is no leadership. We miss Jerome's leadership bigtime. I thought Hines Ward would be one of the players to step up a take the role of being a leader. But to me I know he is battling a hamstring injury. But he was battling a hamstring injury last year also. But to me Hines Ward is different this year and doesn't seem the same. I don't know if Hines Ward at his age is content and has lost some of his passion for the game. So I really don't think he has stepped up to take that leadership role.

About Ben and being a leader. He did make a very selfish act by riding a motorcycle. That isn't being a leader. Plus Ben does alot of talking about how he wants to be great and a team leader. But talk is cheap and actions speak much louder then words. Thats why I'm being so hard on Ben. I'm tired of the talk and the excuses. Its time to put up or shut up. I'm still a fan of Ben's. But I'm going to cut him any slack. I don't get cut any slack at work when I don't perform up to par. So Big Ben should be no different.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:52 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,080 Times in 4,583 Posts

i nominate bill cowher. dont quit bill!

not yet atleast. theres still 12 games to go!

Last edited by tony hipchest; 10-12-2006 at 08:57 PM.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:01 PM   #6
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86 View Post
i dont think you can choose to be a leader as much as you need to be an impacting player on the team and earn their trust by playing well. the leader is the speaker of the house, i think we have plenty of leaders and i also think that we lost about 260 pounds of leadership to CBS. i do agree that ben does need to step up and become our all time leader.

Very well said. Should this be applied by ALL ,.......fortune would once again be in our favor.

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:25 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,080 Times in 4,583 Posts

ben has been showing good leadership skills everywhere but on the field. after his accident i really thought the line was gonna protect him like the crown jewels. in spite of them not, he has been very accountable and until last week, been more than willing to shoulder ALL the blame.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:09 PM   #8
I.C. Lights
Starter

Member Number: 530

I think Hines needs to step up as a leader. I know he's injured, but being on the sidelines never kept the bus from this role. He's got the leverage and the respect to make a difference.
I.C. Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:14 PM   #9
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
My impression is that Ben was not regarded with universal admiration by his team mates even after the Super Bowl win and that his selfish/stupid act of putting the team's prospects at risk by tooling around town without a helmet on a bike that was far too powerful for someone with his limited riding skills to be operating confirms that for now he is not leading his teammates in much of anything except trips to the emergency room.

With Porter hurt, the leaders to step up would seem to be Farrior, Faneca, and (if he starts making some plays) Ward.
Though I love Ben to pieces, the above statement also unfortunately reflects my thoughts.

Imho, Farrior would be the perfect guy to take over the team leadership role.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:48 PM   #10
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

The leadership role is not overrated, though I will say that when a team is losing it always seems to come up. For all we know Ward or Farrior or anyother player could be a leader (vocal) in the locker room, but because we are losing and no one is playing at a high level we seem to think that there is no leader on the team. It also comes down to the followers, if they are not on board with whoever the leader is then that can turn very ugly. I think once Ben or Ward comes out and has a big game and we get a victory everyone will say there is our leader. IMO having leadership on a team can be a fickle thing, but if your winning it's a easy thing.