Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-20-2006, 06:16 PM   #41
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Re: And after Cowher there was....Wannstedt?

And if you count Marvin Lewis as a coach instead of as a warden you're over the quota.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Breakdown of United states demographic

White American, 80.4%, or about 238.3 million, (the definition of White includes Hispanic people who are White or reported "some other race" in the 2000 census)

Black or African American 12.8% or 37.9 million,

Asian American 4.2% or 12.4 million,

American Indian 1% or 2.9 million

Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander 0.2% or 0.6 million,

Two or more races 1.5% or 4.5 million

With 32 teams...if my calculations are correct, 6.2 jobs would go to minorities with roughly 4 jobs going to Black Americans...currently we have...
1)Lovie Smith/Bears
2)Herm Edwards/Chiefs
3)Tony Dungy/Colts...
4)Dennis Green/Cardinals.
5)Romeo Crennel/Cleveland
6)Art Shell/Raiders

There are also 5 GM jobs held by Minorites....(all of this should be credited to the "Rooney Rule" of 2002)

Seems like a non-issue unless someone is complaining that we dont have enough Hispanic or Asian coaches.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:51 PM   #42
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Breakdown of United states demographic

White American, 80.4%, or about 238.3 million, (the definition of White includes Hispanic people who are White or reported "some other race" in the 2000 census)

Black or African American 12.8% or 37.9 million,

Asian American 4.2% or 12.4 million,

American Indian 1% or 2.9 million

Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander 0.2% or 0.6 million,

Two or more races 1.5% or 4.5 million

With 32 teams...if my calculations are correct, 6.2 jobs would go to minorities with roughly 4 jobs going to Black Americans...currently we have...
1)Lovie Smith/Bears
2)Herm Edwards/Chiefs
3)Tony Dungy/Colts...
4)Dennis Green/Cardinals.
5)Romeo Crennel/Cleveland
6)Art Shell/Raiders

There are also 5 GM jobs held by Minorites....(all of this should be credited to the "Rooney Rule" of 2002)

Seems like a non-issue unless someone is complaining that we dont have enough Hispanic or Asian coaches.
So basicly,....Hispanics (whom have, Negro, Mongol and caucasian blood) and all other people that are varying mixtures geneticly of these three "STOCK's",.... are now considered "White" ?
Whereas not very long ago,....ALL people with any genes from the continent of Africa to any extent where considered inferior to those of NORTHERN european descent. (And NON white)
Apparently maintaining the doctrines of division, ( and ultimatley control by the true minority, whom don't give a f#ck about any such nonsense LOL),....are taking yet another interesting turn.
Don't you understand that they're are only three types of people in this world,.....
1:The Wealthy/ruling elite
2: The poor
3: And the sheep in the middle whom,...provide the perfect buffer between the first two by dwelling on such shit as "race", Politic's and whatever else they're PROGRAMMED to think about.
The Rooney Family will hire whomever they feel is qualified and fits this organization's ideal's and philosophy. Regardless,....of "race" and especially any opinions of the "Unilluminated"
Perhap's i'm wrong for making this public. (LOL)
But honor dictates as much.

"Hail Caesar,........HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Last edited by SteelCzar76; 10-20-2006 at 08:40 PM.
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:21 PM   #43
Jacknut
Water Boy
Supporter

Member Number: 3331

I adovate we hire a minority coach... from the minority that knows how to win.
Jacknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:56 PM   #44
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,144 Times in 2,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
I see.

Well I guess I remember a general feeling that more minority coaches should be promoted, the logic was that so many players are African American that they should be better represented within the coaching ranks.

I do have quite a bit of access to most American sports media - nfl.com, espn, SI and most of the online joirnals that dont require the (pain in the ass) registration details (where I have a fictional address and zipcode in the States)

Guys like Jesse Jackson seem like leeches to me, I remember him hopping on the bandwagon in the McNabb v Owens soap opera - I was disappointed he decide to take the more high profile guys side rather than the one who deserved his support.

NM
agreed on j. jackson.

there was a huge firestorm brewing until a. davis hired art shell. i commented on it back in feb. when shell was hired:
Quote:
Re: raider new coach!!

the nfl just breathed a big sigh of relief. al davis bailed them out of what was a big stink of 9 coaches being hired and not one of them a minority (herm edwards just swithed teams). not only did davis do what was right for his team but he did what was right for the nfl. good job al, although im sure he will still be viewed as the bad guy, renegade owner of the nfl. perhaps unfairly.
funny how the impending firestorm ended immediately after shell was hired.

i agree with LLT. the nfl has been very proactive (much more than corporate america). weve seen the gains black qb's have made in the nfl w/o any quota system and i think with time we will see the same gains made in the coaching ranks.

actually id have to say theres been an equal progression of minority coaches and qbs in the nfl.

Last edited by tony hipchest; 10-20-2006 at 09:09 PM.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:33 PM   #45
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknut View Post
I adovate we hire a minority coach... from the minority that knows how to win.
Now that's what I'm talking about!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 10:00 AM   #46
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
there wasnt a specific incident. there were many incidents and it was a hot topic of sports media (including popular periodicals such as usa today/ sports weekly, sports illustrated, hbo's inside the nfl, espn's sportscenter and nfl live, total access, fox and cbs pre game shows, etc.) that so many opennings were being filled and not one by a minority. it was almost applauded when the last vacancy was filled by a minority (al davis hiring art shell) if this didnt happen you wouldve heard alot more about it.

im pretty sure you could do a search and even jesse jackson had an opinion of last years jobs being filled. im not sure how many 'official' complaints were filed though.
I think people still bring it up and it is becomes more of a hot topic when one makes the arguement that the percentage of minority players in the NFL does not translate into an equal percentage of minority coaching...I still believe that the best man should get the job...but also understand that it is hard to determine who the best man is when someonhe may not ever get the chance to prove himself.
So then the question is....what is a fair percentage?...should the ruler be that coaches should reflect the percentage of minorities based on national demographics..or reflect the percentage of the players they are representing.
Where I work there are 0 minorities on the floor..but we have one minority supervisor...if one would follow the second rule... than our one minority supervisor would not have her job since she does not reflect the percentage of those she represents.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 10:48 AM   #47
Stillers#1
Banned

Member Number: 1082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines0wnz View Post
Hell no. And if Whisenhunt uncorks another untimely play fake then he shouldn't be mentioned either.
Amazing how quickly people are turning on Whiz, he is right more often than Although, personally I would rather see Grimm promoted. He seems like he is most like Cowher.
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 11:54 AM   #48
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,144 Times in 2,644 Posts

Quote:
I think people still bring it up and it is becomes more of a hot topic when one makes the arguement that the percentage of minority players in the NFL does not translate into an equal percentage of minority coaching...I still believe that the best man should get the job...but also understand that it is hard to determine who the best man is when someonhe may not ever get the chance to prove himself.
So then the question is....what is a fair percentage?...should the ruler be that coaches should reflect the percentage of minorities based on national demographics..or reflect the percentage of the players they are representing.
Where I work there are 0 minorities on the floor..but we have one minority supervisor...if one would follow the second rule... than our one minority supervisor would not have her job since she does not reflect the percentage of those she represents.
good points. if there was a rule it seems fair that they be based on national demographics.

the rooney rule is working and the color barrier has been busted down. but there will not be a world of change overnight. eventually as coaches become more qualified we will see more blacks in the top jobs. the same has been seen with black qb's. it hardly seems an issue anymore (besides the 1 rush limbaugh incident). in fact i dont remember much being said about vince young being the qb taken 1st ahead of m. leinart.

20 years ago this wouldve been a huge story. back them some wouldve cried conspiracy in some sort of secret affirmative action manuver.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote