Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
• Intelligent and friendly discussions.
• It's free and it's quick. Always.
• Enter events in the forums calendar.
• Very user friendly software.
• Exclusive contests and giveaways.
Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
|Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact||Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.|
|10-22-2006, 07:43 AM||#1|
Join Date: May 2006
Member Number: 2363
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Game 6 Matchup: Steelers vs. Falcons
Sunday, October 22, 2006
Gerry Dulac breaks down the first trip to Atlanta since 1996
What the Steelers will do: After seeing what the Giants did last week to Michael Vick -- seven sacks, four fumbles -- do not expect the Steelers to be passive. SS Troy Polamalu will be especially active in their defensive scheme, chasing Vick the way he dogged Kansas City's Larry Johnson last week. They will keep their defensive linemen in their lanes to read Vick and contain RB Warrick Dunn, who is fourth in the NFL with 511 yards rushing. The other way to defense Vick: Keep the ball away from him by controlling on the ground.
What the Falcons will do: It's no secret what the Falcons will do offensively because they lead the NFL in rushing and are the only team with two players -- Dunn and Vick (401) -- with more than 400 yards. But what Vick will try to do is sneak one of his receivers, particularly Ashley Lelei, down the field if he catches the Steelers coming up to stop the run. Defensively, the Falcons have injuries along their D-line, including John Abraham (groin), who missed three games and played only sparingly last week. After allowing an average of 70.5 yards rushing in four games, they gave up 259 to the Giants.
Keep an eye on ...
CB DeAngelo Hall: He is one of the top cover corners in the league and part of a pass defense that didn't allow a touchdown pass until last week's loss to the Giants. Hall is tied for the NFL lead with four interceptions and 131 return yards, including a 37-yard scoring return. He also has eight passes defensed. His matchup with WR Hines Ward will be one of the game's best.
Game: Steelers (2-3) at Atlanta Falcons (3-2).
When: 1 p.m.
Where: Georgia Dome, Atlanta.
Radio: WDVE-FM (102.5), WBGG-AM (970).
Line: Steelers by 21/2.
FYI: The Steelers are just 6-7 in games played in a dome under Bill Cowher.
Bill Cowher is 3-0-1 and the Steelers are 11-1-1 lifetime against the Falcons. In addition, Ben Roethlisberger is 7-0 against teams from the NFC, including the Super Bowl. But Vick has never lost to an AFC team at the Georgia Dome (6-0).
Keys to victory
To win, the Falcons must ...
1. Not let Willie get silly. After allowing 185 yards rushing to Tiki Barber, they have to clamp down on Willie Parker, the AFC's No. 3 rusher.
2. Get Dunn on the run. That, though, will be a difficult chore vs. a Steelers defense that has allowed just one 100-yard rusher in 39 games.
3. Have Vick be slick. He has to force the linemen out of their lanes in the run game and keep the cornerbacks guessing in the passing game.
To win, the Steelers must ...
1. Be like Sherman. That means, running right through Atlanta, which gave up 259 yards rushing to the Giants.
2. Exorcise the option. In particular, not get caught out of position on the option draw, a new wrinkle in the Atlanta run offense.
3. Keep Lelei from getting Le-long. The cornerbacks have to be patient and not lose coverage when Vick starts to scramble.
|10-22-2006, 11:21 AM||#2|
Join Date: Jun 2006
Member Number: 2390
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Game 6 Matchup: Steelers vs. Falcons
Good notes and pretty darn good gameplans as well... I agree the Steelers must contain Vick and Dunn to have a chance at this game..which I believe they will and if the Steelers can run the ball like they did last game then this game will come down to wether or not Vick can actually pass the ball or not... it just seems like sometimes our secondary can make a decent QB look like a Pro Bowler and I hope that that doesnt happen today or we could be in alot of trouble..
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|