Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-22-2006, 11:23 PM   #21
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900
Default Re: Why no talkin??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
please dont blame the db's! watch the highlights. about every one of crumplers catches he was SINGLE covered. this dude is like gates or gonzalez. if troy is gonna be focused on stopping vicks run, there MUST be some help for a 200lb db covering crumpler. he is big, and he is fast and he uses those basketball skills to block out a single tiny guy in coverage. hes gonna win that battle just about every time (as he proved today).

can anyone tell me how many balls were caught on ike today? im thinking 0
mcfadden has been like glue on the man he covers.
polamalu made an exellent int in a baited toss to a wr.

everytime someone has made a td grab over deshea he has been on the man like saran wrap. hes just a little short to be covering 6 foot 5 guys who luck out and make highlight film grabs. credit has to go to the wr's in these cases for making the catch and the qb for making PERFECT throws. (it is disheartenning that it happened against atl, sd, and cin though)
I hate making this kind of reply, but I completely agree here with your post Tony. It was either a saftey or LB on Crumpler. He was the one who ate our lunch. The catch that Jenkins made in the corner of the endzone was just a perfect pass from Vick, you can't blame our DB for that play.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:28 AM   #22
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
please dont blame the db's! watch the highlights. about every one of crumplers catches he was SINGLE covered. this dude is like gates or gonzalez. if troy is gonna be focused on stopping vicks run, there MUST be some help for a 200lb db covering crumpler. he is big, and he is fast and he uses those basketball skills to block out a single tiny guy in coverage. hes gonna win that battle just about every time (as he proved today).

can anyone tell me how many balls were caught on ike today? im thinking 0
mcfadden has been like glue on the man he covers.
polamalu made an exellent int in a baited toss to a wr.

everytime someone has made a td grab over deshea he has been on the man like saran wrap. hes just a little short to be covering 6 foot 5 guys who luck out and make highlight film grabs. credit has to go to the wr's in these cases for making the catch and the qb for making PERFECT throws. (it is disheartenning that it happened against atl, sd, and cin though)

For the record,...I've never metioned (nor will i ever) Troy in the same regard, or should i say lack thereof,.....as the rest of the secondary. Your the homey Tone so i guess we'll just have to agree to disagree,....but they're very suspect.
It's not their faults that they're undersized with poor awareness and lack of playmaking ability. That is a matter of genetics. I don't knock them for that. I knock the fact that they are even on the field to be "Run amuck".
It's always a matter of "bend, but don't break". Until teams start really going after them aggressively,...which then of course they allow plays that almost always result in points for the opposition at the worst possible times.
(But i guess that at least makes them consistent at something ?) LOL Bottom line,.....Troy needs help.

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:39 AM   #23
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

Other then the Cincy game our DB'S have played pretty well. If you go back and look at the stats it will show that two TE'S we've faced are the ones who really beat us up. We are strugling with TE'S, but the two we've played are two of the top four in the league.

I also take Ike out of this thread all together, this guy has matched up against the top WR on the other team. Look at the results....Chambers was shut down as was Chad Johnson and Kenan mccardell(sp?). With the teams that are upcoming I think we will match up very well. Oakland has their 2nd strip QB going......Denver's passing game is a joke except for Walker and you know Ike will be on him. Cleveland and Baltimore will not give us that many problems except for the TE play. Carolina scares me a bit, with Smith and Johnson are DB'S are going to have to come out and play a good game.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:02 AM   #24
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,064 Times in 2,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCzar76 View Post
For the record,...I've never metioned (nor will i ever) Troy in the same regard, or should i say lack thereof,.....as the rest of the secondary. Your the homey Tone so i guess we'll just have to agree to disagree,....but they're very suspect.
It's not their faults that they're undersized with poor awareness and lack of playmaking ability. That is a matter of genetics. I don't knock them for that. I knock the fact that they are even on the field to be "Run amuck".
It's always a matter of "bend, but don't break". Until teams start really going after them aggressively,...which then of course they allow plays that almost always result in points for the opposition at the worst possible times.
(But i guess that at least makes them consistent at something ?) LOL Bottom line,.....Troy needs help.

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"
deshea has been picked on. i will give you that. plex used to own c. mccalister (known as a pretty good db in the league) all the time in the same way deshea has been against sd, cin, and today.

1) steelerfans have been spoiled with rod woodson much like they have been by jerome bettis or our storied pro bowl centers. no one will replace them.

2) steelers play a zone blitz which is different from "man on man" or a "cover 2". the cornerbacks responsibilities are different than in a conventional defense.

3) do the rooneys really wanna spend the same money as d. snyder for a d. sanders type player?

4) d. hall wasnt too effective against our vagabond group of wr's today. c. bailey wasnt spectacular the last time we played him either. would the 2 of them be invincible in our system?

5) itsbeen almost a year since the last time i. taylor was burned for a td. he is big and tall.
rookie mcfadden prevented manning from leading his team to the afc champ game last year. big players make big plays at big times. i cant knock mcfadden for anything so far this year. he seems to be there to recover muffed punts too.

6) if ike and brian had the skills to pick off 10 passes a year they would be moved to wr in a heartbeat. they are db's for a reason. their coverage is why we seen a lb pick off the ball for the 5th time this season. troy leads the team with 3.

7) cornerbacks are not meant to be singled up on a great atheletic 270 lb te. its a mismatch o coordinators will go to every time. even the best safety in the game will usually lose this matchup. you notice how often heath miller has been doubled this year? almost all the time. thats why he hasnt caught as many passes as we would like. otherwise we would go to him on every play. (teams give h. miller more respect every week than we gave a. crumpler today)

like i said, its a double edged sword. pick your poison. troy couldve spent all day double teaming crumpler and vick may have ran in those 3 td's.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:25 PM   #25
SteelCzar76
Banned

Quote:
deshea has been picked on. i will give you that. plex used to own c. mccalister (known as a pretty good db in the league) all the time in the same way deshea has been against sd, cin, and today.

1) steelerfans have been spoiled with rod woodson much like they have been by jerome bettis or our storied pro bowl centers. no one will replace them.

2) steelers play a zone blitz which is different from "man on man" or a "cover 2". the cornerbacks responsibilities are different than in a conventional defense.

3) do the rooneys really wanna spend the same money as d. snyder for a d. sanders type player?

4) d. hall wasnt too effective against our vagabond group of wr's today. c. bailey wasnt spectacular the last time we played him either. would the 2 of them be invincible in our system?

5) itsbeen almost a year since the last time i. taylor was burned for a td. he is big and tall.
rookie mcfadden prevented manning from leading his team to the afc champ game last year. big players make big plays at big times. i cant knock mcfadden for anything so far this year. he seems to be there to recover muffed punts too.

6) if ike and brian had the skills to pick off 10 passes a year they would be moved to wr in a heartbeat. they are db's for a reason. their coverage is why we seen a lb pick off the ball for the 5th time this season. troy leads the team with 3.

7) cornerbacks are not meant to be singled up on a great atheletic 270 lb te. its a mismatch o coordinators will go to every time. even the best safety in the game will usually lose this matchup. you notice how often heath miller has been doubled this year? almost all the time. thats why he hasnt caught as many passes as we would like. otherwise we would go to him on every play. (teams give h. miller more respect every week than we gave a. crumpler today)

like i said, its a double edged sword. pick your poison. troy couldve spent all day double teaming crumpler and vick may have ran in those 3 td's.

My point "so to speak",.....is thus Tone. With the present rules regarding contact,...gone are the days of the "Shutdown" Cornerback. Because of this fact,... it is all the more important that you have size, speed and actual PLAMAKING talent THROUGHOUT your secondary.
Case in point,.....our aforementioned recent Bane of elite TE's. We are being abused by these cat's because of mismatches due to lack of size, speed and playmaking abiltiy on our part.
Even in Rod's day,....he wasn't alone,......there were two other STUDS on the field with him,.....Carnell Lake and Darren Perry. And while only Troy is of their Caliber,.......Dshea, Clark, Ty, and C#cklocker are not even in the same Galaxy as players.
They're merely solid "Backup's" with average ability being put into battles they cannot win because they just simply aren't gifted enough to do so,......no matter how much "Heart" and or "Character" they supposedly have.
Once again,.... Troy and our pass defense would benefit greatly from another ELITE "Presence" at F/S,.... and at least one clutch "Physical" Corner with speed, size, awareness, good hand eye cooridination and intelligence.
Troy is a once in a generation talent,........i'm not saying such player's would be on his level. I'm saying at least let them be worthy to be in the secondary with him. Worthy,... to be on the field with the other core members of this Defense as a whole.
Note that i still give B-mac the benefit of doubt,....he's very young and has shown some flashes. But we'll see.
Bottom line,...you can't keep Drafting (or bringing in as free agents) project, undersized, small school and or average on the collegiate level DB'S,.... and expect to run a 3-4 at it's full effectiveness. More often than not,......you get what you pay for. (And i don't mean in the sense of high priced free agents)

"Hail Caesar,.......Hail the Black and Gold"
Old 10-23-2006, 06:51 PM   #26
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Ok TE's have gave fits in the past but this year they really havn't guys.

Gates had 3 catches for 55 yards and a TD.

Tony Gonzalez had 3 catches for 15 yard with no TD's.

Randy McMichael had a big 1 catch for 10 yards.

Those are three of the better TE's in the NFL. Plus Gates and Gonzalez are better then Crumpler.

Now lets look at Alge Crumplers stat line. He had 6 catches for 117 yards and 3 TD's. Thats almost 20 yards a catch average. That just reflect the poor gameplan that Dick LeBeau had and the piss poor play of our DB's/LB's on Crumpler. Alge Crumpler is a very good NFL TE but we made him look like Shannon Sharpe in his ****ing prime. I'm still amazed that the Steelers allowed Crumpler to do that to them yesterday.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:33 PM   #27
SteelCzar76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
Ok TE's have gave fits in the past but this year they really havn't guys.

Gates had 3 catches for 55 yards and a TD.

Tony Gonzalez had 3 catches for 15 yard with no TD's.

Randy McMichael had a big 1 catch for 10 yards.

Those are three of the better TE's in the NFL. Plus Gates and Gonzalez are better then Crumpler.

Now lets look at Alge Crumplers stat line. He had 6 catches for 117 yards and 3 TD's. Thats almost 20 yards a catch average. That just reflect the poor gameplan that Dick LeBeau had and the piss poor play of our DB's/LB's on Crumpler. Alge Crumpler is a very good NFL TE but we made him look like Shannon Sharpe in his ****ing prime. I'm still amazed that the Steelers allowed Crumpler to do that to them yesterday.

I agree wholeheartedly BlackandGold. (In regards to Crumpler) I brought up TE's in response to what was mentioned before as an excuse for our secondary's meltdowns. But please believe that i include any and all talented passing offenses in this league. (In regards to this secondary giving up points)

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"