Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-22-2005, 06:35 AM   #1
SteelProven
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 394
Default Hampton talks heat up

PITTSBURGH ? The Steelers talked to Casey Hampton before Saturday night?s game and sources now believe the team will sign the Pro Bowl nose tackle to a contract extension within the next couple of days.

Hampton said Saturday night he wasn?t surprised that the Steelers sat him down to talk about an extension before the game against the Miami Dolphins.

Hampton is heading into the final year of his contract. The 2001 first-round pick has his weight down and has proven that the injured knee, which kept him out of 10 games last season, is sound. Those two facts prevented the Steelers from getting serious with Hampton up until this point.

?It?s the last year of my deal, so obviously they want to get something done,? Hampton said. ?They don?t want me on the free-agent market or anything like that.?

Since the Steelers won?t negotiate during the regular season, the sides must cut a deal prior to the Sept. 11 opener, otherwise Hampton could test the free-agent market next March. However, Hampton doesn?t see that as being the case.

?This is where I want to be at, so there isn?t a secret about that,? he said.

The Steelers are also talking with the rest of their potential 2006 free agents. The most important might be free safety Chris Hope, who turns 25 in a month and is now becoming comfortable at the dawn of his second season as a starter.

?If that?s something they?re interested in doing, I would definitely be interested in being a Steeler for as long as I can,? Hope said. ?Being that most of our team on defense is young, we have an opportunity to be good if we stay healthy and continue to grow together. But business is business.?

Is Hope looking for big money?

?Oh yeah,? he said. ?Hopefully, if I have a season like I did last year, and make a couple more picks that I know I can make, anything can happen.?
SteelProven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:31 AM   #2
figg
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 416
Default Re: Hampton talks heat up

were did you get this?
Old 08-22-2005, 07:32 AM   #3
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544
Default Re: Hampton talks heat up

I'm sure Ward isnt gonna be happy if they sign Hampton before him, but Hampton is a good sign-back. I mean I love Hoke and all, but Casey's just a beast. With Hampton, Hoke, Smith, Kimo, and Keisel, our DL is set.

We just signed Hope to a 1 year contract. I think that shows that the FO isnt that interested in getting a deal done before the season starts. I think they want to see is he has a break-out season, or break-down season... lol then again, I have made it known I'm not a fan of Hope, so it could be just me.

I wouldn't blame Hines after this point. Think about it from his view. They resigned Maddox, then said HE was top priority next year. Then they sign back everyone else, and all their draft picks before him. Now he shows up for camp and they sign Hampton before him. I would not be happy.