Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-23-2006, 01:08 PM   #1
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604
Default Bill Cowher:North Carolina instead NC State??

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...a-bunting.html

As crazy as it sounds I figured someone might as well throw this out there.
I doubt Bill Cowher would go into the college ranks if he left after this season and his name has been mentioned as a possible replacement for Chuck Amato at NC State but all of a sudden there's an opening for Head Football Coach at UNC.

Let the wild speculations begin.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:21 PM   #2
Paul Pyrch
Draft Prospect

Location: Originally from Ambridge, PA now living in Virginia Beach, VA
Member Number: 3116
Default Re: Bill Cowher:North Carolina instead NC State??

Sure wouldn't surprise me at all. I really think Cower is gone after this year.
Paul Pyrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:43 PM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Pyrch View Post
Sure wouldn't surprise me at all. I really think Cower is gone after this year.
Naaaaw. I think Cowher stays one more season and honors his contract with the Rooneys. In addition to being a superb coach, he's an honorable man.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:46 PM   #4
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

If he's gone after this year, he should have left on the podium in Detroit like Jerome did. He could have saved us the mediocricy he is accepting from the players!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:48 PM   #5
Paul Pyrch
Draft Prospect

Location: Originally from Ambridge, PA now living in Virginia Beach, VA
Member Number: 3116

YEP! I agree that Cower is an honorable man, etc. but let's wait and see who is correct. I wish he would stay but I truly think he will be gone after this season.
Paul Pyrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:48 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,252 Times in 3,627 Posts

As an ACC alum, I can state North Carolina and North Carolina State cannot compete with the top programs in their own conference let alone the top powers nationwide. No matter the star power of the coach, you need a history of being a power program to compete for national championships (just ask Steve Spurrier), which would be the only lure for Cowher.
I cannot imagine Cowher hungers to match coaching wits with Chan Gailey and Ralph Friedgen in order to play in a bowl game in Shreveport the week between Christmas and New Years.

The only marquee progarm that is opening up a HC job that is worthy of Cowher's talent & reputation is Miami and I cannot see him going there so long as his wife is living in Raleigh.
If Cowher coaches next year (which I doubt) it will be in Pittsburgh

Cowher can make far more in the pros than he can at any NCAA program - if he leaves the Steelers my bet is he does some TV, waits until his youngest goes off to college, and comes back for a mega-buck contract with another NFL team.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:49 AM   #7
ncoolong
Water Boy

Member Number: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Naaaaw. I think Cowher stays one more season and honors his contract with the Rooneys. In addition to being a superb coach, he's an honorable man.
YES! Thank you! Someone gets it! Cowher's from Crafton, grew up watching this team, knowing exactly the kind of ownership he was working with. They gave him a chance to possibly be considered for the Hall of Fame. While I don't think he will end his career with the Steelers, I don't think he's going to bail when he has a year left on his contract. He will fufill his agreement.
ncoolong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:12 PM   #8
Tim
Starter

Member Number: 661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
As an ACC alum, I can state North Carolina and North Carolina State cannot compete with the top programs in their own conference let alone the top powers nationwide.
The problem with college of late is that they don't have any patience. College teams require very precise building because players come and go so quickly. At best you get a guy for 4 playable seasons. And the better they are, the less time you have them.

College teams require recruiting and prospective players need to know they're going not just to a stable coaching environment, but one that's able to showcase their talents. It used to be that parents would be happy to see their kids graduate, but that's not the focus any longer. For better or worse, if your kid is a good football player, you don't just want them to succeed at the college level, but have a good shot at the pros as well.

IMO, you're not going to get that if you're rotating coaching staffs every 2 years because they didn't give you the perfect season, or a 8, 9, or 10 win season, or that bowl game you wanted. If you're not prepared to give a coach at least 4 seasons to build a program, your school shouldn't even be in the football business.

As for Cowher. I hope he stays, but since I work here at NC State, I'd sure wouldn't mind running into him around on campus from time to time ;)

I HIGHLY doubt he'd coach for UNC.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:17 PM   #9
steeler dude
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3223

if cowher goes after this year it would have to be agreed upon with owner dan rooney i think his contract has another year on it. with that being said i think it could be his last year seeing that ken whisenhunt turned down the raiders offer for head coach and pasted on a number of other interviews with others teams. so if cowher leaves and i hope he dosent i will be ok with whisenhunt