Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 10-24-2006, 03:26 PM   #11
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875
Default Re: Ben could play Sunday

I'm sure the doctors and Ben know what they are doing. If he is medically cleared and feels fine, then start him. Charlie is a good backup but Ben is hot right now. He needs to keep that fire going.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:27 PM   #12
DoctorJanSteelerFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 1126

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I, too, think Ben should sit out on Sunday, but obviously, that's not my call. I'd feel better if he was seeing a different neurosurgeon for reasons I won't go into here. I think Ben throws caution to the wind a little too much at times - he's not Superman. We're playing the Raiders this week - why not play it safe and start Charlie?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines86Ward View Post
They need to sit Ben on sunday, give him an extra week of rest & preparation. The 2nd concussion generally needs more time to heal than the 1st one, so let Ben take some time off to prevent further problems in the future. Batch would do just fine against the Raiders, hell, St. Pierre would do just fine against the Raiders.....
I agree with you guys 100%. Just like posts under "BEN REPORT: CONCUSSION" I'll say it again:
It would be INSANE, medically negligent and potentially life-threatening if they allow Ben to play next week. (And, sorry to say, IMO much longer because this is his 2nd concussion AND he lost consciousness.) He also needs clearance from NON-NFL neurologist(s). Multiple concussions have cumulative effects. Prior concussions lower the threshold for subsequent concussion injury and increase symptom severity in even seemingly mild subsequent concussions. Post-concussion symptoms can be quite subtle and may go unnoticed by the athlete, team medical staff, or coaches. (Perhaps like Ben's 3-game sluggishness )

Is it worth jeopardizing his entire career for a few games? In other words, let's say Ben played this week against Oakland, was sacked, hit his head on the ground. The chances are much greater now not just that he would have a concussion but that he could sustain permanent brain injury and never play football again. So, let’s hope and pray NFL-affiliated and NON-NFL-affiliated neurologists will think of him as their own son or brother and not a money-making “Star-QB” machine.

BASIC INFO ON CONCUSSIONS, if anyone is interested:
http://www.neurosurgery.pitt.edu/trauma/concussion.html
http://concussion.upmc.com/Treatment.htm

Last edited by DoctorJanSteelerFan; 10-24-2006 at 04:49 PM.
DoctorJanSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:20 PM   #13
DoctorJanSteelerFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 1126

Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
"With regard to getting clearance from the medical staff, I am linking to an article in ESPN The Magazine ("Doctor Yes") that claims the NFL's doctor in charge of its studies on the impact of concussions (A RHEUMATOLOGIST, NOT A NEUROLOGIST) is cooking the books with his studies regarding the long term impact of concussions. Anyone interested in whether or not Ben should play next week may want to read this article and consider if the NFL is spewing happy talk to minimize the consequences of multiple concussions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...t&lid=tab3pos1

As a pro athlete, Ben is conditioned to "playing hurt." Team doctors are notorious for rushing players back. Cowher rushed Ben back once already this season; Cowher needs to sit Ben regardless of whether Ben and the team doc think it is OK for him to go. In addition, Ben's mentors Jim Kelley and Dan Marino need to have Ben talk with Steve Young and Troy Aikman..."

I'm quoting Atlanta Dan here because doggone it this is important and I'm hopping mad at unscrupulous, unscientific doctors of all shapes and sizes. Noone is perfect but just like CEOs are getting caught left and right with both their hands in the cookie jars, too many (NOT ALL) doctors are not only idiots but they are willfully endangering athletes lives for their own personal satisfaction.

I would personally like to kick the a**es of ANY team doctor who thumbs his nose at injury and sends kids back out prematurely. And WAY too many are doing it in the NFL. We all know you don't need an MD to see the results of concussions. Look at boxers and military men and women with concussions and/or brain injuries. THERE ARE LONG-TERM EFFECTS.

OK I had to vent....
DoctorJanSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote