Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-25-2006, 04:28 PM   #11
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047
Default Re: Big Ben practices, likely to start against Raiders

Even though the Raiders are a bad team as a whole -- it's almost all on their offense - their defense is actually pretty good and they are decent at bringing pressure too ..I would hate to see Ben get hit several times and then have to sit out several games from the cumulative effect of back-to-back concussions -- he is far more likely to have another one since he had one just last week and it doesn't have to be a helmet-to-helmet hit either -- Steve Young, Chris Miller and Joe Montana got concussions later in their careers from being thrown to the turf and glancing minimal hits ...that's what it will come to eventually if he's not careful -- I also agree with Dr Jan based on my own experience coaching at the lower levels --- Play Charlie!!!!!!!!!!!!
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:37 PM   #12
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545

I could undrstand having him play if it was against a quality opponent. But the Raiders ! Come on! If we can't beat the Raiders with Batch then we might as well roll over and die! Why risk Ben being hit, and hurt AGAIN by big fat Warren Sapp?How would that look?
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:01 PM   #13
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,110 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCod Steel Head View Post
I could undrstand having him play if it was against a quality opponent. But the Raiders ! Come on! If we can't beat the Raiders with Batch then we might as well roll over and die! Why risk Ben being hit, and hurt AGAIN by big fat Warren Sapp?How would that look?
You raise an interesting point I have been pondering regarding the expressed concerns for Ben's health by playing this week against this team.

Would we be as concerned about the risk to Ben's health if it were a better opponent in more important game (say Ben was coming off a concussion going into a playoff game?) In other words, whether he gets plastered by Warren Sapp this week or (hypothetically) by Shawn Merriman in the AFC Championship should the time of his next concussion make any difference?

That is what cost/benefit analysis is all about but I find myself wondering whether the risks to Ben playing are being regarded by at least myself as more intolerable because the Steelers are having a lousy year with no currently viable prospects to make the playoffs and, even so, should be able to beat Oakland whether Ben plays or not.

Any thoughts?
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:51 PM   #14
Stillers43
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 2322

It is too risky to start our fanchise QB against the lowly Raiders. Nice post! SAVE BEN PLAY BATCH! Kinda catchy.

HERE WE GO STEELERS! HERE WE GO!
Stillers43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:00 PM   #15
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

i think they should start batch and if we dig ourselves a whole then we put ben in either in the late second quarter or the early part of the third quarter.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:30 PM   #16
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86 View Post
i think they should start batch and if we dig ourselves a whole then we put ben in either in the late second quarter or the early part of the third quarter.
Me thinks the hole has already been dug.........
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:33 PM   #17
Duck44
Water Boy

Member Number: 2440

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCod Steel Head View Post
I think its a foolish decision to play him.
I agree. This guy could be a Steeler QB for the next 10-12 years. Why risk permanent injury for onr game when Batch has looked good.
Duck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:47 PM   #18
DoctorJanSteelerFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 1126

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo View Post
..I would hate to see Ben get hit several times and then have to sit out several games from the cumulative effect of back-to-back concussions -- he is far more likely to have another one since he had one just last week and it doesn't have to be a helmet-to-helmet hit either -- Steve Young, Chris Miller and Joe Montana got concussions later in their careers from being thrown to the turf and glancing minimal hits ...that's what it will come to eventually if he's not careful -- I also agree with Dr Jan based on my own experience coaching at the lower levels --- Play Charlie!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bravo, Coach Sumo!
DoctorJanSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:11 PM   #19
DoctorJanSteelerFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 1126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
thank you for your perspective about all this. I was wondering if you could explain to us in detail the medical risk of ben playing.
I'll give it a shot, Big D...... I'm in a rush so I hope I make sense...

“Concussions often cause significant and sustained neuropsychological impairments in information-processing speed, problem solving, planning, and memory, and these impairments are worse with multiple concussions. Suffering a second concussion while still having symptoms from a previous concussion can be lethal.”
http://www.neurosurgery.pitt.edu/trauma/concussion.html
In addition, symptoms sometimes don't show up until after a time-delay of days, weeks or even months.

“Head trauma is a common problem in sports that has the potential for serious complications if not managed correctly. Even what appears to be a "minor ding" or "bell ringer" without loss of consciousness, has the risk of catastrophic results in a [player] who is returned to action too soon. The medical literature and lay press are reporting instances of death from "second impact syndrome" even after mild concussions.”
http://www.uil.utexas.edu/athletics/...ncussions.html

http://www.exra.org/Concussion%20risk-2003.htm
A Two-Year Prospective Study of Relative Risk of a Second Cerebral Concussion, concluded that the "risk of sustaining a cerebral concussion is nearly six times greater for individuals with a history of previous concussion than for individuals with no such history."

Multiple concussions suffered over a period of months or years increases the risk of permanent brain damage and post-concussion syndrome, in which neurological or cognitive problems become chronic. Even mild concussions occurring within hours, days or weeks of each other can result in "Second Impact Syndrome," (SIS) which can be fatal. Second Impact Syndrome (SIS) results from an acute, usually fatal brain swelling that occurs when a second concussion is sustained before complete recovery from a previous concussion.

Each concussion is cumulative and can have long-term effects. If there is loss of consciousness (LOC) WITH the concussion, then even more precautions must be taken. Some of the effects do not show up right away. There also must be a proper amount of time to recover from each separate incident. Following a concussion without full recovery, even a minor "bump" to the head can result in another concussion. Allowing an athlete to return to play too early increases their chances of more serious brain injury. Memory, reaction time and processing speed among others can all be affected. (IMO, it is one of the reasons Ben looked so sluggish until Kansas City. Also adding insult to injury, IMO he returned prematurely following his appendectomy, contributing to unconscious "guarding" of his abdomen when an opponent tried to sack him.)

The NCAA Concussion Study (reported in JAMA 2003;290:2549-2555) concluded that there ARE cumulative effects for concussions. "...Players with a history of previous concussions are more likely to have future concussive injuries than those with no history; 1 in 15 players with a concussion may have additional concussions in the same playing season; and previous concussions may be associated with slower recovery of neurological function."

According to news reports on MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15418846/from/RS.3/), Ben lost consciousness, had some amnesia with the play and still has headaches. All of these symptoms indicate a severe concussion and a concussion that involves ANY loss of consciousness is labeled severe and classified as a Grade 3 Concussion.. Loss of consciousness, headaches and memory loss are more often associated with severe concussions. There is no such thing as a "minor concussion." In most cases a single concussion should not cause permanent damage. A second concussion soon after the first one, however, does not have to be very strong for its effects to be deadly or permanently disabling.

First, let’s set aside Ben’s first “Motorcycle Concussion” with its additional trauma. The “Atlanta Concussion” WITH his Loss of Consciousness (LOC) of several minutes puts him at risk for the “Second Impact Syndrome” (SIS-as described above) until he is fully recovered. Research has shown that allowing enough time for the brain to heal and recover before return-to-play is crucial in preventing more severe damage from possible further brain trauma during contact play. So an additional hit to his head (even a minor one and there is no way of calculating what force would be required) before his brain has had a chance to "recover" could result in not only another concussion but also varying neurological deficits and injury as noted above. Now, let's add back in the first “Motorcycle Concussion” (even though 4 months ago) PLUS the “Atlanta Concussion” and go back over his highschool and college career for any mild concussions, and this puts him at ADDITIONAL major risk for "SIS" and "Numerous Concussive Syndrome".

Both the American Academy of Neurology and Colorado Medical Society (used by the NCAA) describe a “Grade 3 Concussion” as a concussion with loss of consciousness of ANY duration. It is the most severe concussion. (These “published” guidelines have not been updated for almost 10 years and we now recognize that concussions are even MORE serious than thought.)

Guidelines for a FIRST Grade 3 Concussion include:
----Brief Loss of Consciousness (seconds)-----1 week minimum until return to play
----Prolonged LOC (minutes)--------------------2 weeks minimum
For MULTIPLE Grade 3 Concussions (according to AAN):
----AAN: 1 month or longer based on clinical decision of attending physician
----Colorado Medical Society guidelines: Terminate season.

SAVE BEN. PLAY BATCH.

Last edited by DoctorJanSteelerFan; 10-25-2006 at 11:51 PM.
DoctorJanSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:42 PM   #20
holmes
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3121

If Ben does play it will be a total incompetence on the coaching staff as well as the medical staff. The only thing that matters in the NFL (not for long - which may amount to the amount of time we have Ben, unless someone stops him from foolishly making a wrong decision to come back to soon) is winning...at any costs. We need to protect our investment, even if we do have a few more losses. But we probably won't with the way Charlie is playing.
holmes is offline   Reply With Quote