Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-04-2006, 02:43 PM   #1
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304
Default The Clock

Has anyone noticed this "new rule?" Clearly it is an asinine rule. I noticed it on Friday night, enjoying the Scarlet Knights eek out a win at South Florida. USF scored a TD with :15 to go to pull within 22-20, so naturally they have to go for 2 points. They fail (thanks to a dropped pass - my how the fortunes of Rutgers have turned). So with USF having no timeouts, all Rutgers has to do after the onsides kick is run one play to take a knee and the ballgame is over.

But WAIT! Thanks to the new clock rule, Rutgers doesn't even have to send the offense on the field! The officials spot the ball, and the clock runs off the final :15 while the coaches are shaking hands.
If a team has all of their timeouts, in a similar situation they will have to burn their first one before the other team even runs first down! It eliminates a team from completing a defensive stand by a three-and-out at the expense of their timeouts.

It's a spectacularly bad rule, basically if you score in the last minute of a game now, the other team has absolutely no chance of coming back.
Another thing to remember is that the clock starts when the ball is kicked, not when the ball is touched which takes more time off the clock, returner runs it back and is tackled, clock stops whilst the ball is set then it starts again. Georgia scored with 46 seconds left last week, Colorado were huddling on the sideline when the clock started after the return so they only got two plays off - it is bad enough as it is but when it eliminates things like receivers going in motion because it takes too much time of the clock then it shows you how stupid it is.
One team last week (can't remember who) held the ball for an entire quarter because of the new clock rules too.

I can't see why they can't have it like the NFL where they keep the clock running after every first down.
Apparently they can't shorten halftime because then the marching bands can't fit their performances in to anything less than 20 minutes. Sums up nicely where the NCAA's priorities lie......
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047
Default Re: The Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn View Post
Has anyone noticed this "new rule?" Clearly it is an asinine rule. I noticed it on Friday night, enjoying the Scarlet Knights eek out a win at South Florida. USF scored a TD with :15 to go to pull within 22-20, so naturally they have to go for 2 points. They fail (thanks to a dropped pass - my how the fortunes of Rutgers have turned). So with USF having no timeouts, all Rutgers has to do after the onsides kick is run one play to take a knee and the ballgame is over.

But WAIT! Thanks to the new clock rule, Rutgers doesn't even have to send the offense on the field! The officials spot the ball, and the clock runs off the final :15 while the coaches are shaking hands.
If a team has all of their timeouts, in a similar situation they will have to burn their first one before the other team even runs first down! It eliminates a team from completing a defensive stand by a three-and-out at the expense of their timeouts.

It's a spectacularly bad rule, basically if you score in the last minute of a game now, the other team has absolutely no chance of coming back.
Another thing to remember is that the clock starts when the ball is kicked, not when the ball is touched which takes more time off the clock, returner runs it back and is tackled, clock stops whilst the ball is set then it starts again. Georgia scored with 46 seconds left last week, Colorado were huddling on the sideline when the clock started after the return so they only got two plays off - it is bad enough as it is but when it eliminates things like receivers going in motion because it takes too much time of the clock then it shows you how stupid it is.
One team last week (can't remember who) held the ball for an entire quarter because of the new clock rules too.

I can't see why they can't have it like the NFL where they keep the clock running after every first down.
Apparently they can't shorten halftime because then the marching bands can't fit their performances in to anything less than 20 minutes. Sums up nicely where the NCAA's priorities lie......
They're trying to fix something that wasn't broke to begin with -- I bet they switch it back within a couple of years...
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:28 PM   #3
steelcurtain09
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn View Post
Hey!!! wht bout us band geeks who like the marching band performances.
how would u feel if during the sb halftime show the announcer said "oops ur time is up. bye prince" (thought tht is wht i am wishin will happen)? or for nonprince fans pick ur favorite band and put in place of prince.
steelcurtain09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:38 PM   #4
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304

WHOA! Noone is more into band than I am! I love college & high school bands.

My husband was a band "geek" as you call them j/k and he is the most well rounded individual I know. The experiences he obtained from band never can be outdone. He also received a music schlorship. The comment, "You can tell where NCAA's priorities lie..." was a stupid comment and not even closely meant to infer that band is bad.

This whole clock thing really irks me to no end as does the NCAA with their arcaric rules, the BCS which is total BS, it was not at all meant for any kid who takes on band because that is a huge undertaking and only a person who is willing to committ hours upon hours of practice and many happy times, as well as work, need apply.

I am so sorry, I love bands, I love cheerleaders, I love the debate team, the chess club I respect any kid that applies themselves to doing anything extracurricular supervised by teachers.

<how would u feel if during the sb halftime show the announcer said "oops ur time is up. bye prince" (thought tht is wht i am wishin will happen)? or for nonprince fans pick ur favorite band and put in place of prince.>

I would choose a band over anyone, anytime!

got band?

Last edited by Lyn; 10-05-2006 at 01:57 PM.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:54 PM   #5
Stillers#1
Banned

Member Number: 1082

I'm sorry but halftime shows are pointless. I have never sat through one, and don't ever intend too. Football games are for football.

On topic, shortening halftime would be dumb anyways. You need a bit of a break from playing, and there is a lot of strategy going on from the coaches during halftime. But if the reason they decided no to shorten halftime was b/c of the bands, then I say shame on the NCAA.
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:07 AM   #6
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Halftime breaks are a must for adjustments and a little breather for the senoire players on all teams..hehee couldnt resist... The new rules for the clock pretty much stinks and I hate it and i am glad that I am not the only one that thinks so.. the NCAA and The BCS is nothing but BS
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote