Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 10-31-2006, 05:46 AM   #21
Texasfan
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Member Number: 2904
Default Re: A lesson in humility...by the Almighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
The Sunday Ticket is around $200 a year.

Having done the sports bar scene from the late 1980s with the Steelers until I received a dish as a Christmas gift in 1996, I would respectfully submit that when you factor in the cost of patronizing the sports bar in terms of food & drink + the advantage of watching the games in the comfort of your own home that DirecTV is worth the $$.
It's true that NFL ST is about $200/year. But you cannot just get the NFL ST. You usually spend on the monthly fee as well. This comes to about $40/month plus the Sunday Ticket. It is not as easily justified as you put it. For me it is a good deal, I stay at home, save money (because I do drink alcoholic bev's) and I get to watch it with my boys.
Texasfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 06:37 AM   #22
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

I really don't understand why everybody is giving the guy so much flack about going to the sports bar to watch the game. If his wife is ok with it once in a while, what's the big deal? It's not like going to a singles bar. And as far as the money for Sunday Ticket to watch it at home......that's a personal choice. We could spend that money, too and we may at some point. Not living in the Pittsburgh area means 3 choices.......not watching the game, spend the money, or go to a sports bar. This is the first year we've gone to the bars to watch the games and as nice as it sounds to be able to stay home and watch the game, that also means I would have never have met nice people like Meanie and his wife and FloodCityGirl!! It as been both a pleasure and a privalage to enjoy the season (???........gee.....imagine if we were actually winning!) with them. When we add up how much we are spending each week (we all generally get dinner or lunch while we are there plus beverages), yes I suppose we could pay for the games at home. But watching our Steeleers win or lose in the company of 200 other Steeler fans (and a few Bungles fans thown into the mix) has been awesome!

Give the guy a break for actually having his priorities straight.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."

Last edited by stillers4me; 10-31-2006 at 06:44 AM.
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:20 AM   #23
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
You know last year I was blessed, bountifully. My daughter was born in June 2005 and that following football season my beloved Steelers won the Super Bowl!! I was in heaven...or was I?
The other day at a men's bible study group I was asked if I've placed the Steelers on a pedistal and made them an idol before God.
That hit me, hit me hard.
Last year after the Super Bowl and about a half hour of celebrating with friends in the fan club, I headed home to get my wife and daughter. I got to where they were at and my wife, being tired and ready for bed mumbled, "Your daughter is on the floor, get her and let's go...I'm tired!" To me I didn't care how she was, my team just won the Super Bowl. But it wasn't until these recent events at the men's group that I've realized that I put the Steelers before my family as well.
So this year, I told my wife that I would go to the bar once a month to watch the games and other than that, I'll be home to help out with whatever.
BUT, I was still putting the Steelers before God.
So now here we are 8 weeks into the NFL season and at times I have worshipped an organization and players before the Almighty God.
Don't get me wrong, I'll always be a Steelers Fan and my daughter will also be raised the same. However, I can not be a Fan that puts anything of this earth before the Lord and I will not allow my daughter to walk that path.
The Lord was with me last year when all the good things happened with the Steelers and he's with me now and I'm learning that as much as I love football, the final outcome of the season (winning or losing) isn't as important as I have made it to be!
For as much as I bleed black and gold, as much as I dislike trolls that have no or little football knowledge, and as much as I love the Steelers.....I LOVE JESUS MORE!!!!
This year, so far, has been a lesson in humility. A lesson in learning that there is more to my life on God's green earth than the Steelers and/or football in general. It's about being a great, loving husband and father! It's about teaching my family about Christ and how we should ALWAYS focus our eyes on HIM!
To all my friends in Steelers Nation - we are the best fans in the world! I pray God's blessings on all of you. To all of the trolls, I pray God's blessings on you too!
When I first read your post, several passages in the Bible immediately came to mind, namely those contained in Genesis, Ephesians and Colossians. Follow the link below, and I think things may become somewhat clearer.

God created Man in His own image and likeness, but created him with imperfections and flaws, and gave him the power of intellect and the ability to reason.

I don't see where you have done anything wrong or have put football over your belief in and your love of God or your family, hon. You come across as a very loving and responsible husband and father, love the Lord and attend Bible study - your belief in family values and God is very strong from what I interpreted relative to what you wrote above and I don't feel that your relationship with God or with your family is being compromised by your feelings regarding the Steelers. Just my two cents.

http://www.bibleviews.com/Creation-man.html

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:40 AM   #24
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
I really don't understand why everybody is giving the guy so much flack about going to the sports bar to watch the game. If his wife is ok with it once in a while, what's the big deal? It's not like going to a singles bar. And as far as the money for Sunday Ticket to watch it at home......that's a personal choice. We could spend that money, too and we may at some point. Not living in the Pittsburgh area means 3 choices.......not watching the game, spend the money, or go to a sports bar. This is the first year we've gone to the bars to watch the games and as nice as it sounds to be able to stay home and watch the game, that also means I would have never have met nice people like Meanie and his wife and FloodCityGirl!! It as been both a pleasure and a privalage to enjoy the season (???........gee.....imagine if we were actually winning!) with them. When we add up how much we are spending each week (we all generally get dinner or lunch while we are there plus beverages), yes I suppose we could pay for the games at home. But watching our Steeleers win or lose in the company of 200 other Steeler fans (and a few Bungles fans thown into the mix) has been awesome!

Give the guy a break for actually having his priorities straight.
Right back at ya, Stillers! It definately helps to be with the faithful, win or lose!

Now...about that hubby of yours......????!!!!! (lol)

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote