Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-10-2006, 11:36 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Broken neck could end career of Bengals' Pollack

Broken neck could end career of Bengals' Pollack
ESPN.com news services

Cincinnati Bengals linebacker David Pollack undoubtedly has Dec. 13 circled on his calendar. That's the day when Pollack will meet with doctors to decide whether he'll ever play football again.

Pollack fractured the C-6 vertebra in his neck against the Browns on Sept. 17 and was placed on injured reserve the following day. Still wearing a protective halo to get his neck in place, Pollack visited the team's locker room Thursday at Paul Brown Stadium.

"If I'm not more likely to get hurt again, then I'll play," Pollack told the Cincinnati Enquirer. "If I am, then I won't. Cut and dried. It's a very real possibility that I won't play again. At the end of it, if the doctor says I'm 5 percent more likely to get injured again, there's a zero percent chance I'll ever play again. That's a fact."

The 24-year-old Pollack, a first-round pick from Georgia in 2005, has played in 16 games for the Bengals, starting six.

Pollack said he has used his time away from the game in prayer and Bible study. He said there are few distractions because of his limited mobility.

"I'd love to play football; it's what I've done for so long," he told the Enquirer. "But in the end, really, if I'm more likely to get hurt, God doesn't close one door without opening another one. He's got something special for me, regardless. There's going to be something cool. There's going to be something awesome."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2656571
Old 11-10-2006, 12:11 PM   #2
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648
Default Re: Broken neck could end career of Bengals' Pollack

As much as I intensely dislike the Bengals, you hate to see that happen to any player. And it's good to see he's relying on his faith to see him through this. I wish him the best whatever happens.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphissteelergirl View Post
As much as I intensely dislike the Bengals, you hate to see that happen to any player. And it's good to see he's relying on his faith to see him through this. I wish him the best whatever happens.
I am with you on that...He seems to be a stand up guy on all accounts.... I like to save articles like this for my son...so he can see that faith/sucess/character can co-exist....too often the TO's and the Chris Henrys overshadow REAL MEN like Pollack
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:14 PM   #4
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

With the speed and strength of these guys coming into the pros now, I think we will see a lot more of these types of injuries - I was talking to a long time scout and physical therapist that works for the Chargers - being on the sidelines for over 20 years in the NFL -he says "they just keep getting stronger and faster - I'm worried about the severity of neck and spinal injuires - so many guys want to lead with their helmet just to make a statement.."
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:23 PM   #5
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

After what happened to Gannon, I hate to read stuff like that. I hope he is able to resume his career. If he is told no, I hope he is smart enough to heed the warning... his life isn't worth the risk.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:02 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,200 Times in 3,492 Posts

seeing him in the pre game special last week with that halo screwed into his skull was eye opening. i felt for his wife who had to clean the screwholes with q-tips. the work he does with children in hospitals is a far greater community service that buying young girls liquor and screwing them.

he is too good for the bengals. im suprised they even drafted him. if he ever plays again i hope it is with a quality team who actually has a shot of winning something.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:22 AM   #7
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

A very inspiring young man.........I believe God has a greater plan for him that playing for the Bengals.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:20 AM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I echo everyone's sentiments here. What a sad, but truly inspiring story. I'm sure this young man will make the best decision for he and his family and utilize his other talents in a very positive way that will continue to benefit a lot of children. My prayers are with you, David.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:33 AM   #9
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
A very inspiring young man.........I believe God has a greater plan for him that playing for the Bengals.
....exactly
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote