Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS
Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 09:51 PM   #411
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

We need Sid back in the lineup, but I still see a slide happening. Had this feeling for the past couple of weeks. I'm really upset over this loss tonight despite the point, because it is a game we could have and should have won. This is also the 2nd time in the past 2 weeks that they've lost a game when they've led after 2 periods. Not good.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:52 PM   #412
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
Just sickening. But at least we got a point out of it.
No doubt a tough loss, but I'll take the point.

Sid has two nights off, get him rested up and ready to go Tuesday night against the Isles. Try and grab two points. 60 more games.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:54 PM   #413
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

http://pittsburghpenguins.com/team/f...rts/2152.0.php

STRAKA'S LATE GOAL LIFTS RANGERS PAST PENGUINS IN OT

by Joe Sager
pittsburghpenguins.com
11/25/2006

Martin Straka?s goal late in overtime Saturday gave the New York Rangers a 2-1 win over the Penguins at Mellon Arena.

Straka, a former Penguins player, found the back of the net with 2.2 seconds left on the clock in the extra session.

?It?s tough to lose like that ? with two seconds left,? Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury said.

Fleury, who stopped 28 of 30 shots, was strong in goal for the Penguins (10-8-4), who played their third game in four days. The young goaltender made four key saves as the Penguins killed off three penalties in a 4:54 span early into the contest, but neither team managed to find the back of the net in the first period.

Evgeni Malkin got the Penguins on the scoreboard with 9:25 left in the second period on a power-play goal. Erik Christensen was positioned behind the Rangers net with the puck and he slid a pass to Malkin, who was closing in on the far post. Malkin chipped the puck over Henrik Lundqvist for the goal. Sergei Gonchar assisted on the goal, which gave him 500 points in his NHL career.

New York got the benefit of a break in the third period as Jaromir Jagr had a puck bounce right to his stick and he slid it into an open net to tie the contest 12:15 into the third period.

Penguins rookie Jordan Staal had a chance to give the Penguins the win in overtime as he was awarded a penalty shot. However, he never got the puck on net as it rolled past his stick when he brought it from his backhand to his forehand in front of Lundqvist.

Straka provided the game-winner when he slid the puck into the goal with 2.2 seconds to go.

ICE CHIPS: Michel Ouellet, Andre Roy and Sidney Crosby were the Penguins? scratches?Darius Kasparaitis and Thomas Pock were the Rangers? scratches?The announced attendance was 17,134?Jaromir Jagr (No. 1), Evgeni Malkin (No. 2) and Henrik Lundqvist (No. 3) were named the game?s three stars.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 11-25-2006, 09:59 PM   #414
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

http://pittsburghpenguins.com/team/f...rts/2153.0.php

MOORE ADAPTING WELL TO LIFE IN PITTSBURGH WITH PENGUINS

by Joe Sager
pittsburghpenguins.com
11/25/2006

The transition from New York to Pittsburgh has been a relatively easy one for Dominic Moore.

After all, Penguins fans have embraced the blue-collar style he brings to the ice as a solid two-way center. People in a hard-working city appreciate a hard-working player such as Moore.

?I like to be as complete a player as I can and make plays at both ends of the rink. Basically, the role is to help the team win games, whatever way that might be,? he said. ?There certainly is a hard-working mentality to this city, too. Obviously, they respect that and that?s something I try to bring to what I do. It?s definitely nice to know there are people who understand that, for sure.?

The 6-foot, 195-pounder had nine goals and nine assists in 82 games last year with the Rangers as a rookie. The 26-year-old came to Pittsburgh from Nashville after the Predators acquired him from New York in July.

?I love it here so far. It?s been great,? he said. ?We have a great group of guys here. A young team, but we?re having a lot of fun and getting better with every game. It?s been great.?

One Penguins player whose eyes perked up when he learned about the trade for Moore is rookie Noah Welch. That?s because he and Moore played college hockey together for two years at Harvard (2001-03).

?When I was at Harvard, I thought for sure that Dom was going to play in the NHL and hoped that I would some day, too,? Welch said. ?He was a Rangers guy at the time and I was with Pittsburgh. I never thought we?d be teammates again at this level, so it was a really, really nice treat when I found out this summer that he got traded to Pittsburgh. It gave me extra motivation to make sure I was here.?

Moore has four goals and four assists in 22 games for the Penguins so far this season. And, even though he hasn?t been called on to score highlight-reel goals, that doesn?t mean he can?t. Moore tallied 64 goals, 83 assists and 147 points in 128 games in his Harvard career.

?He was pretty much always the best player on the ice, no matter who we played,? Welch said. ?He was definitely a leader on our team and he helped me out a lot. When I was a freshman, he was one of the guys that right away I got off to a good start with and became pretty good buddies with. He scored some really, really pretty goals ? some unbelievable goals in college. When I think of him, the first thing that comes to my mind are three or four goals that were just unbelievable.?

Nevertheless, Welch is not surprised Moore has excelled as a third-line center who must be responsible on both ends of the rink.

?I think that just shows the complete package he has. He has a lot of different dimensions to his game,? he said. ?At this level, you play a role and he?s playing a role for us right now. I think that?s only going to get bigger as he gets more years and experience in this league. I can see him in the next couple of years becoming a first- or second-line guy and putting up numbers, but also being really reliable defensively and on draws. I think he has a huge upside and he?s only getting better game to game.?

Right now, though, Moore is just enjoying helping the Penguins win games.

?Everyone here seems to be very friendly and laid back. That makes it fun to be around, for sure,? he said. ?I kind of enjoy Pittsburgh. It?s still a big city, but it has a small-town feel to it. It?s a big sports town, which I love about it. That?s certainly been a pleasure.?

Moore had little trouble transitioning to the Penguins? style of play.

?It?s not a matter of scrapping everything you learned. A lot of the systems are pretty similar. There are some changes, obviously,? he said. ?The coaching staff has done a great job trying to get everyone on the same page. I feel like, with the talent we have in this room, if everyone sort of buys into doing those team concept things, we could be very tough to deal with.?

Dominic, Mark and Steve Moore during their Harvard days.
Harvard University

Moore is looking forward to playing his ex-teammates for the third time this season.

?It was really fun playing in New York [on Oct. 12]. It was great to be back and get that last-second victory. We were all pretty excited to get that win. That was a big thrill,? he said. ?I can?t wait to play them again. It should be a lot of fun. You want to win, but it?s a little different than playing any other team.?

The Ontario native comes from a talented family of hockey players. His two older brothers, Mark and Steve, were also NHL draft choices. Coincidentally, Mark Moore was drafted by the Penguins in 1997 and spent part of the 2000-01 season with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. Steve was drafted by Colorado and spent parts of three seasons with the Avalanche.

Moore, who majored in sociology at Harvard, got to skate one year with both siblings when all three suited up for the Crimson during the 1999-00 season.

Nevertheless, the 26-year-old is excited to be a part of the Penguins? promising future.

?Pittsburgh is a great city right now, but you see a lot of the areas around the city being revitalized,? he said. ?I think maybe the same thing can be said about the Penguins. We?re a good team right now, but we?re in the process of developing ourselves as well.?

Old 11-25-2006, 10:06 PM   #415
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

http://postgazette.com/pg/06328/740896-61.stm

A Progress Report: Penguins' record, play bears little, if any, resemblance to last season

Friday, November 24, 2006
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

There are many ways to measure the progress the Penguins have made in the past year.

You could do it with their 20-game record -- 10-7-3, after being 6-8-6 at the same point in 2005-06.

You could do it with the point total that record represents -- 23, an obvious upgrade on the 18 they had after 20 games in 2005-06.

You could do it by noting how they've pared their goals-allowed total from 83 to 63, or bumped up their goal output from 60 to 65.

Or you could ignore all the numbers and simply watch them play because, most of the time, that's all it takes to recognize how different things are.

"You can see there's a big improvement," defenseman Sergei Gonchar said. "Not only in the standings, but in the way we're playing. The system is there, the effort is there every night, pretty much. I guess that's why we are where we are."

Where they are as they close out the first quarter of the season -- technically, it will end midway through the second period of their game at 2:08 p.m. today on Long Island -- is in the middle of the Eastern Conference playoff race.

They are tied with the New York Islanders and Tampa Bay for eighth place in the East, and will have to be there -- or higher -- when the season ends if they are to qualify for the playoffs for the first time since 2001.

But it says something about these Penguins that when they talk about challenging for a spot in the playoffs, no one snickers.

Of course, no one did in late November last year, either. But that was mostly because no one even remotely rooted in reality would not have dared to suggest such a thing was possible.

This season, however, their 20-game record projects to 94 points; Tampa Bay claimed the final Eastern spot in 2005-06 with 92.

"There's no doubt we're happy [with the first quarter]," coach Michel Therrien said. "When we started the season, we said we wanted to be part of a group that was going to battle to make the playoffs. That was our goal, and we're right there."

Numerous factors have contributed to the Penguins' solid start. Some of the biggest include:

Goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, who has elevated his game significantly and is performing with a consistency missing in previous seasons. He has a 2.82 goals against average and .912 save percentage after finishing 2005-06 at 3.25 and .898.

The play of second-year center Sidney Crosby, who is poised to make a serious run at the NHL scoring championship, and rookie Evgeni Malkin, who has made a seamless transition to North American hockey. They form a 1-2 punch down the middle that eventually could rival the finest in hockey history.

A team-wide commitment to better defense. Fleury's performance is a huge factor, but so is the structure introduced by Therrien and the willingness of players to work as hard to prevent goals as they do to produce them.

"When we started the season, we knew that if we were going the same way we did last year, we were going to get killed," Therrien said.

Although they've avoided that, the Penguins do have some blemishes that could sabotage their season. Prominent on that list is:

The failure of their wingers to generate goals. First-line right winger Colby Armstrong, who doesn't have any, is the poster boy for this problem, but right wingers Mark Recchi and Michel Ouellet are the only non-centers to score as many as six. That's not enough, especially with set-up men like Crosby and Malkin.

Their penalty-killing, which is steadily sliding down the league rankings. It is the ninth-worst in the league, with a success rate of 81.4 percent, and is particularly ineffective on the road (72.6 percent). With so little margin for error, the Penguins can't afford to lose an undue number of one-goal games because of subpar penalty-killing. Being the most-penalized team in the East (18 minutes per game) doesn't help.

Modest depth. The profound impact Mark Eaton's dislocated wrist has had on their penalty-killing and overall defense underscores the shortage of solid defensemen in the organization, and if they had wingers in the minors who were good bets to score at this level, they'd be up by now.

Whether any of those will push the Penguins out of playoff contention remains to be seen. It hasn't happened yet, though, and that's unmistakable evidence of progress for players who endured so much defeat and disappointment last season.

"We're not last in the standings," Fleury said. "We're right there."

(Dave Molinari can be reached at DWMolinari@Yahoo.com. )

Old 11-25-2006, 10:10 PM   #416
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Pretty good read from yahoo......

March of the Penguin

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns
Old 11-25-2006, 10:11 PM   #417
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Pretty good read from yahoo......

March of the Penguin

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns
Definantly a good read.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:56 AM   #418
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Penguins Notebook: Crosby misses 3rd game in a row
Sunday, November 26, 2006

By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

His sore groin is getting better all the time, Sidney Crosby said.

Fact is, he has made a lot of progress during the past four days or so.

But Crosby still is waiting for the day when "I'm not going to feel it much at all," and that hasn't arrived yet, so he sat out his third consecutive game when the Penguins faced the New York Rangers at Mellon Arena last night.

Crosby went on the ice briefly during the Penguins' game-day skate yesterday, but pronounced his groin to be "still a little sore" after he adjourned to the locker room.

"It's not ready," he said.

This is Crosby's longest absence from the lineup since he missed four games because of a sprained knee in his final season with Rimouski in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League in 2004-05.

"Hopefully, [this absence] is done at three," he said.

The Penguins do not play again until Tuesday, when the New York Islanders will visit Mellon Arena at 7:08 p.m.

Crosby said his frustration is compounded because two of the games he has missed were against Atlantic Division opponents, but acknowledged that returning prematurely would cause more problems than it solves.

"It's not something you can really play through," he said. "The more you play through it, the worse it's going to get."

A lesson for Malkin

Center Evgeni Malkin, rocked by a hard hit from Islanders defenseman Brendan Witt late in the third period of the Penguins' 3-1 loss on Long Island Friday, was back in the lineup last night.

"If he would have been hurt in the first period, he would have come back [during the Islanders' game]," coach Michel Therrien said.

He characterized Witt's check as "a good hit," and noted that Malkin paid for getting caught looking down.

"It's part of the learning process," Therrien said. "You get to the blue line, make sure you keep your head up.

"We told him before, but it's like [telling] a little kid, 'Don't touch the stove. You're going to get burned.'

"[The child responds] 'Yes, Dad. Yes, Dad.' But one day, they always touch it."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06330/741329-61.stm
Old 11-26-2006, 09:35 AM   #419
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Another heartbreaking loss last night.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:03 AM   #420
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Just hopefully Crosby will be back soon.

Closed Thread