Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Steelers Experience

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-30-2006, 01:09 PM   #11
Stillers#1
Banned

Member Number: 1082
Default Re: What steeler have you met?

Banaszak recruited me to play at W&J (he def showed me the Super Bowl ring) he almost got me too, simply bc the cafeteria was run by Eat n Park and they had smiley cookies.

I also sold Joey Porter a basketball hoop when I worked at the Dicks Sporting Goods at Robinson. I met the Bus there too, when he came and shot free throws with kids in the store by the escalators, I have a few pics with him, i need to dig those up. My buddies wife danced with Deshea at a club downtown.....everytime he makes a bad play he yells at his wife for letting him grind her LOL.
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:00 PM   #12
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

This is a post I made a few months back about my encounter with Franco - I also went to the hotel they were staying at for the SB that year...funny story - Thigpen told everybody he wasn't a player - he said he was just a friend of Leon Searcy's visiting, so everybody left him alone and didn't ask for his autograph - my brother knew for sure it was Thigpen, so he yelled really loud in the lobby while pointing to Thigpen--"Ladies and Gentleman - Yancy Thigpen!!" and everybody ran over to him...

I ran into Franco when I was living in AZ - he was there for the Super Bowl (the ODonnell one) - there were a lot of events leading up to the game - I went to one Franco was at - there were a lot of people yelling for his autograph and he said politely "sorry guys, I'm here for the fans and charity - not to make you money with my autograph" - he kept walking so I yelled "hey Franco you had 1055 yards your rookie season, you had 158 yards in SB IX and were the MVP, etc after a few more stats I said "I'm one of your biggest fans!" -- he turned around and walked over to me and said "I'm sorry these guys have been following us all week" - he then glared at two of the idiots he was referring to because they were sticking several mini Steeler helmets in his face to sign and you could see they had a whole box of them along with Cowboy ones too - he glared at them until they backed away and then he grabbed a pen out of his pocket to sign an autograph for me - I said " I don't want an autograph - I just want to shake your hand and tell you I had a great time watching you play when I was a kid" - he flashed a huge Italian smile and said "thanks man - you just made my day.."

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:20 PM   #13
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Well, I moved away in '87, so it's been a while.

Swann (met him in a jewelry store downtown)
Bradshaw (saw him at the Eagles/Giants game this year, said hey)
Rocky Bleier (a couple motivational speeches)
Terry Hanratty (he was on my route when I was an ice cream man)
Sam Davis (at a sportsmen's dinner, he was not such a big guy!)
Franco Harris (bumped carts with him in the supermarket in Shadyside!)
Courson (bad story involving a bar fight)
Lambert (he used to jog around the baseball field at Riverside Park in Oakmont with his g/f in the early '80s)
Bill Nelsen ('60s QB, went to my church when I was a kid)
Joe Gilliam (met him at a semi-pro game in the early '80s; the Steelmen? Ironmen? Something like that)

Those are the ones I remember.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:26 PM   #14
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo View Post
This is a post I made a few months back about my encounter with Franco - I also went to the hotel they were staying at for the SB that year...funny story - Thigpen told everybody he wasn't a player - he said he was just a friend of Leon Searcy's visiting, so everybody left him alone and didn't ask for his autograph - my brother knew for sure it was Thigpen, so he yelled really loud in the lobby while pointing to Thigpen--"Ladies and Gentleman - Yancy Thigpen!!" and everybody ran over to him...

I ran into Franco when I was living in AZ - he was there for the Super Bowl (the ODonnell one) - there were a lot of events leading up to the game - I went to one Franco was at - there were a lot of people yelling for his autograph and he said politely "sorry guys, I'm here for the fans and charity - not to make you money with my autograph" - he kept walking so I yelled "hey Franco you had 1055 yards your rookie season, you had 158 yards in SB IX and were the MVP, etc after a few more stats I said "I'm one of your biggest fans!" -- he turned around and walked over to me and said "I'm sorry these guys have been following us all week" - he then glared at two of the idiots he was referring to because they were sticking several mini Steeler helmets in his face to sign and you could see they had a whole box of them along with Cowboy ones too - he glared at them until they backed away and then he grabbed a pen out of his pocket to sign an autograph for me - I said " I don't want an autograph - I just want to shake your hand and tell you I had a great time watching you play when I was a kid" - he flashed a huge Italian smile and said "thanks man - you just made my day.."

And you just made mine, thanks!

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:29 PM   #15
vader29
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1533

Only Steeler I've met was John Rienstra at a banquet when I was in high school.
vader29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:50 AM   #16
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Well.... pretty much all of them on the roster right now at training cmap lol....

But up close Ive met Hines, Willie, Heath, Jeff Hartings, Jeff Reed and Kendal Simmons.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:17 PM   #17
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
Well, I moved away in '87, so it's been a while.

Courson (bad story involving a bar fight)

Tom
You can't post something like this without elaborating - did you get in a fight with Cousron? - did he have a roid rage and fight everybody in a bar somewhere?

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:27 PM   #18
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

I have met Bradshaw, Swann, Stallworth, Harris, Swann, Greene, Greenwood, Holmes, White, Russell, Lambert, Ham , Blount, Thomas, Lloyd, Bettis, Porter, Bell, Ward, Randle El and Donnie Shell.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:49 AM   #19
z-dog
Water Boy

Member Number: 1757

I coached HS football games against Jon Kolb, really great guy. Also, remember when Iron City would bring the Steelers around. I met Rocky, Bradshaw, Swann, Harris, and Ham this way as a kid. It is a shame that everything is corporate now and a hometown business like IC can't even produce commemorative cans for the Steelers because of NFL licensing rights.
z-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:06 PM   #20
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Wow, you guys are lucky. To tell you the truth, I haven't met any yet. But I have met Dan Rooney if that counts for anything.

~Polamalufan43