Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-06-2006, 07:59 AM   #1
Dook
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 906
Default Can We Talk About the Draft?

I'm looking for the trade down with New England on draft day. We give up our #15 for their #22 and #26.

Now if WR Calvin Johnson, RB Adrien Peterson, OT Joe Thomas, or RB Marshawn Lynch happen to fall to #15 then we take them.

At #22 we take OG Levi Brown
#26 we take OLB Woodley, or maybe Willis

2nd round RB Michael Bush if available, if not then RB Tony Hunt
3rd round LB
4th round WR
4th round compensatory OL, probably Center
5th round TE backup
6th round ?
7th round CB

Last edited by Dook; 12-06-2006 at 09:39 AM.
Dook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:18 AM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Can We Talk About the Draft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dook View Post
I'm looking for the trade down with New England on draft day. We give up our #15 for their #22 and #26.

Now if WR Calvin Johnson, RB Adrien Peterson, OT Joe Thomas, or RB Marshawn Lynch happen to fall to #15 then we take them.

At #22 we take OG Levi Brown
#23 we take OLB Woodley, or maybe Willis

2nd round RB Michael Bush if available, if not then RB Tony Hunt
3rd round LB
4th round WR
4th round compensatory OL, probably Center
5th round TE backup
6th round ?
7th round CB
Out of interest, who do you think that New England is willing to give up both of their 1st round picks for?

Also, according to accepted draft pick value charts - round 1 #15 is worth 1050 points, whereas round 1 #22 (780points) + round 1 #26 (700) = 1480 points - therefore an unlikely scenario.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...TradeValue.htm

Pick 32 might work out mathematically though

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:18 AM   #3
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

I like where your going Dook.... IMO the Steelers wishlist (in no certain order) by position is:
OL, RB, WR, LB

I think that who is available when we pick should determine who we take.

Hey Dook (or anyone for that matter), ;I would be interested in hearing your top two picks at each of those positions.
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:36 AM   #4
coachspeak33
Banned

godfather... if you could pick any player in the coutry to add in ths yrs draft who would it be and why?
Old 12-06-2006, 10:00 AM   #5
Dook
Bench Warmer

New England might not give up both of their first round picks to move up but you guys need a WR and Dwayne Jarrett might not be available at #22. I just depends on how much you want that one guy. You should still be able to take WR Samardzija in the 20's though.

LITP: You're right about the draft chart. I was expecting us to be drafting at the #9 spot a week or so ago. We would probably have to give up at least a #3 to do the trade down, something I wouldn't do.

coachspeak33: I don't watch college football so I'm not really the best source for college talent information. Everything I get is from reading what draft websites have written. And of course it's still very early. We all know how important the combine, wonderlic, and interviews are, hehe.

OL, Joe Thomas and then Blalock. Also seems to be a lot of interest in Joe Staley if he's available in round three.
RB, Peterson then Lynch. I'd love to have a big RB like Bush but he is still limping from his injury. I don't know, maybe if he's available in the 2nd. At 230 lbs Tony Hunt also seems like a pure RB, runs with power and fights for extra yards but getting him in the 2nd is a big reach.
WR, Calvin Johnson of course but really I think we should try and find the next Colston farther down in the draft.
LB, some aren't thrilled with Woodley but he is 270 lbs with about 4.5 speed. Pozluszny is 235 lbs and has 4.6 speed, with good instincts and toughness but coming off a knee injury. Willis is certainly another LB option but mostly I'm impressed with Woodley's combination of size and speed.

Last edited by Dook; 12-06-2006 at 10:04 AM.
Dook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:14 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,138 Times in 2,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dook View Post
New England might not give up both of their first round picks to move up but you guys need a WR and Dwayne Jarrett might not be available at #22. I just depends on how much you want that one guy. You should still be able to take WR Samardzija in the 20's though.

samardzija has been promised to be paid as the highest rookie ever if he plays for the cubs. that kind of contract will be hard for him to turn down. (drew henson).

if we were drafting late part of me would like to se US try to get him, but i dont like the idea of grooming another rookie wr who cant immediately contribute with the steelers. i think the steelers were on the right track several years ago when they tried to land douchmandzadeh, and ended up settling for wilson. scrap wilson and try to find another coming into their 2nd nfl contract. use the high pick on a player more likely to contribute earlier than a wr.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:18 AM   #7
coachspeak33
Banned

good point tony.... i cant seem to decide what position should be addressed thourgh FA.... I would love to see steinbach sign as a FA.... but a professional WR coming into his 2nd contract would be lovely.... then we go OL and LB in the draft.... WR outta college tend to struggle early and really not figure it out till at least the beginning of yr two
Old 12-06-2006, 10:32 AM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,138 Times in 2,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachspeak33 View Post
good point tony.... i cant seem to decide what position should be addressed thourgh FA.... I would love to see steinbach sign as a FA.... but a professional WR coming into his 2nd contract would be lovely.... then we go OL and LB in the draft.... WR outta college tend to struggle early and really not figure it out till at least the beginning of yr two
with enough trimming of the fat and another salary cap increase it might be possible to land 2 faily decent f.a.'s steinbach and a mid tier wr. when you see s. merriman tearing up the league you just hope our 1st pick could land that type of immediate impact defensive player on the line. philly did good with shawn andrews too, somebody pittsburgh really liked but we need some youth on defense.

get younger on defense, and bring some more experience to the offense.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:38 AM   #9
Dook
Bench Warmer

Yeah, Samardzija is getting something like $7.75m but it's all backloaded, just as an NFL contract would be, and he wants to play football.

Just think, what if we would have gotten WR Matt Jones instead of TE Heath Miller. I love having Miller but the TE is just not used for much more than a blocker in our scheme. Jones would have produced more for our offense and we could have used our #1 pick last year on a LB who might just be starting now and ready to replace Joey next year.

In free agency I think we should attempt to get OL Leonard Davis from the Cardinals, Gandy and Steinbach are also possibilities. LB Adalius Thomas is a possibility but I think he's going to get big bucks from some team. Some want another veteran RB, Ladell Betts or someone else but I think Willie P. is our starter and Najeh is a decent #2.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:39 AM   #10
coachspeak33
Banned

as far as adding a OLB... i would love to see the following play out:
Porter finishes out his contract in 07
Keep harrison as the utility LB.... prepare him to take over at ILB when Farrior hangs it up
Send kriewaldt packing
Draft an OLB (woodley, maybe draft the DE from Georgia and convert him to a speed rush OLB.