Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-19-2006, 10:05 PM   #1
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default This years Steelers just may be........the Steelers

NFL: The 'dog might be Steelers
BY BILLY WITZ, Columnist
Article Last Updated: 12/18/2006 10:46:58 PM PST

The pundits of pro football may as well have been armed with magnifying glasses, trench coats and Sherlock Holmes' deerstalking hats the way they've been scouring the NFL in recent weeks in search of the team that could be this year's Pittsburgh Steelers.

Last year's Steelers, as you'll recall, got healthy and got better over the final month of the season, snatched the last spot in the AFC playoffs, and then became the first team in NFL history to win three games on the road en route to a Super Bowl title.

Now, we're told, the trail leads to Cincinnati, where after four straight wins entering Monday night, law-enforcement officials are no longer the only ones proclaiming the Bengals a dangerous bunch. Or is it Jacksonville, where it's noted that the Jaguars have beaten four teams that would be in the playoffs if they started today and the upside there is they wouldn't have to face teams that have given them fits - Washington and Houston (twice)?

Over in the NFC, Philadelphia is being sized up as a contender, a notion that not so long ago was as ridiculous as the latest Rocky script. In New York, there's no shaking the possibility that They Might Be Giants - no matter how many times they play like The

Pretenders. And in Atlanta, if Jim Mora can get his team in the playoffs, he promises to give it the old college try.
The curious thing is that for all this canvassing to find this year's Steelers, few seem to be considering a rather obvious candidate: This year's Steelers.

For the first time since the third week of September, the Steelers are back at .500, crawling there with a third straight victory. While 7-7 only puts Pittsburgh at the fringe of the playoff chase in the AFC, you can bet the fourdivision winners don't want to see the Steelers rolling into town.

Pittsburgh is starting to conjure up the ghosts of playoffs past, allowing 13points in the past three weeks, routing Tampa Bay, Cleveland and Carolina. And while beating quarterbacks named Bruce Gradkowski, Derek Anderson and Chris Weinke is no reason to start a parade, what may cause a few shivers around the league is that the Steelers' offense is now a problem for somebody besides the Steelers.

Three weeks ago, the Steelers led the NFL with 30 turnovers - the main reason they lost to Atlanta, Denver, Cincinnati and Oakland despite outganing those teams by a combined 721 yards.

In the past three weeks, they've turned the ball over twice.

The strong defense, good housekeeping and improved special teams - a blocked punt and one that was returned for a touchdown by Santonio Holmes against Carolina - has allowed the Steelers to revert to the offensive game plan that's been near foolproof for the past three years: run, run, run, pass.

Willie Parker followed up a career-high 223-yard effort with 132 yards against Carolina, making life considerably easier for Ben Roethlisberger, now fully recovered from an offseason motorcycle accident and an early September appendectomy.

Roethlisberger completed 11 of 18 passes, but made good use of them - hitting Hines Ward on a key third-down pass to get the Steelers rolling, and running and throwing for their first two touchdowns.

In three seasons, the Steelers are 26-2 when Roethlisberger throws 25 or fewer passes.

The formula for the Steelers reaching the playoffs involves many more variables than that. It begins Christmas eve at home against Baltimore, which pummeled Roethlisberger in a 27-0 win on Nov. 26 - the Steelers' only loss in the past six weeks. Next, the Steelers have to win at Cincinnati, where they've won five in a row - including last year's playoffs.

Then the Steelers need help. Lots of it.

Of the four teams (Cincinnati, Denver, New York and Jacksonville) that sit at 8-6, the Steelers would win head-to-head tie breakers with only the Jets. So they need Cincinnati to lose at Denver (or have the Broncos lose to the Bengals and the 49ers the following week), Jacksonville to lose to New England and at Kansas City, and the Jets to trip up against either Miami or Oakland.

If Tennessee or Buffalo (who play each other this week) and Kansas City - the other 7-7 teams - also win out, then check with someone at Cal Tech.

Of course, the Steelers would welcome any help - mathematic or otherwise. And after last season's playoff run - winning at Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Denver - it's not as if they're unappreciative.

In fact, Kimo van Oelhoffen, Mike Vanderjagt and Mrs. Nick Harper - your Christmas cards are in the mail.

Elsewhere around the league in Week 15:

The Steelers' Joey Porter calls the Browns' Kellen Winslow a gay slur last week and is fined $10,000 by the league. Three years ago, Lions president Matt Millen uses the same slur toward Chiefs receiver Johnnie Morton and no action is taken, the NFL calling it a team matter. Is this called progress - or a double standard for players and management?

A sample question from Vince Young's Wonderlic Test: If you're the quarterback facing third-and-12 at your own 44 with a 24-21 lead, 1:20 left to play, the other team out of timeouts, and you're given a rollout with a run-pass option, what do you do? A: Run, Vince, run.

Packers defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins, a former undrafted free agent who spent a season in Europe and another out of football, ran his season sack total to 6.5 with three sacks of Lions quarterback Jon Kitna - or a half-sack more than his brother Kris, a two-time Pro Bowler, has for Carolina this sesason.

Just wondering if the NFL considers the Saints at Giants a home game for New Orleans this year, too.

Billy Witz covers the NFL for the Daily News. His column appears Monday.

billy.witz@dailynews.com
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:34 PM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: This years Steelers just may be........the Steelers

What's interesting is that we are actually not too far out from being in the playoffs... the scenario is NOT too far-fetched.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:00 AM   #3
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

You know that light has turned on with each week more and more even tho a lot of us have said its time to look towards next year, and let this year play out and just maybe finish with a above .500 record so its not so bad and not a loosing season. Well were .500 and if we win against the Ravens, Denver Beats Bengals, Jags loose, Bet your butt the lights will be glowing out your ass and there will be a lot more hope. This msg board along with a lot more will turn to fire, and you will hear the comentators start talking more and be like here they come again.

I was so happy to see them even talk about us on the AFC Playoffs. They do not think we will make it and it is a lot to get us in. But hey just send a life line my way if they say were in the playoffs, because I will fall over in disbelief. Cinderalla season.

But the good thing even if we do not make the playoffs we were all ready for it. So it will not hurt as bad.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:13 AM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

LOL...

Yeah, Like I have said in other posts...

We STILL shouldn't be in it, but hey, if we are, GREAT... and if we make it? Well, there is nothing holding us back from making the SB again. None of the teams this year are as good as last year.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:42 AM   #5
Steel_Bus_24
Team President

Member Number: 2886

I'm not getting my hopes up for fear of them getting smashed

right now all I want is for the Steelers to lay some pain on the ravens for some payback this week, and for Denver to beat the Bengals so that we get a chance to send their butts home once again.

Just keep fighting Steelers and if we get a miracle, and it would be a miracle, in that we get into the playoffs I may just have a heartattack at the young age of 20.

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:11 PM   #6
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Bus_24 View Post
I'm not getting my hopes up for fear of them getting smashed

right now all I want is for the Steelers to lay some pain on the ravens for some payback this week, and for Denver to beat the Bengals so that we get a chance to send their butts home once again.

Just keep fighting Steelers and if we get a miracle, and it would be a miracle, in that we get into the playoffs I may just have a heartattack at the young age of 20.
I'm happy because we're playing good smart football, but I don't wanna get my hopes broken either......There are alot of teams including SD that don't wanna play us!
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote