Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-21-2006, 07:01 PM   #11
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,517 Times in 3,750 Posts
Default Re: any reservations on polamalu starting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV STEELERS 723 View Post
Dan I think our STEELERS will get Troy a market contract... but I was curious????? we're you talking about Willie Colon's contract, Russ Grimm,or Shawn Morey ?
Troy presumably should be paid as the top safety in the league because he is certainly among the top safeties and whoever gets the latest contract gets the most $$$ for their position when they sign (a markup from Ed Reed's contract would be a good go by as far as what the Steelers should be willing to pay).

But let's say a team that is drunk with cap space or simply has crazed ownership (Danny Snyder) wants to pay Troy the market rate for the top salried defensive players in the league, which are not safeties. That would be an above market rate and at that point it would be up to Troy and his family to decide whether greater $$$ should outweigh playing for a team that spreads around the cap $$$ to field a competitive team. The Steelers will not screw up their salary structure to keep Troy.

The fact that Troy seems to have a balanced view of life and has had several injuries this year (shoulder, a scary looking concusion, and the knee) migt lead him to figure there is more to life than football and take the $$ for the good he could do for others with it.

Do I think Troy will leave - no. But simply saying the Steelers will not let him go makes it sound like Troy is a piece of property that only they can give up and saying that Troy will never leave shows a greater awareness of Troy's thought processes than I claim to have.

In other words, stuff happens.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:07 PM   #12
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Troy presumably should be paid as the top safety in the league because he is certainly among the top safeties and whoever gets the latest contract gets the most $$$ for their position when they sign (a markup from Ed Reed's contract would be a good go by as far as what the Steelers should be willing to pay).

But let's say a team that is drunk with cap space or simply has crazed ownership (Danny Snyder) wants to pay Troy the market rate for the top salried defensive players in the league, which are not safeties. That would be an above market rate and at that point it would be up to Troy and his family to decide whether greater $$$ should outweigh playing for a team that spreads around the cap $$$ to field a competitive team. The Steelers will not screw up their salary structure to keep Troy.

The fact that Troy seems to have a balanced view of life and has had several injuries this year (shoulder, a scary looking concusion, and the knee) migt lead him to figure there is more to life than football and take the $$ for the good he could do for others with it.

Do I think Troy will leave - no. But simply saying the Steelers will not let him go makes it sound like Troy is a piece of property that only they can give up and saying that Troy will never leave shows a greater awareness of Troy's thought processes than I claim to have.

In other words, stuff happens.

great post.
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:50 PM   #13
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Well, I understand that one of these days Troy will have to leave, wether it be by his choice or injuries. But, I just can't see Troy with any other team.
As for Troy's thought processes, I don't really think anyone but Troy can understand/interpret them. They always seem to have a deeper meaning and almost a philosophical quality to them.

~Polamalufan43
Old 12-22-2006, 10:26 AM   #14
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,081 Times in 4,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
I would have thought Polamalu would be the type of guy you would have to drag kicking and screaming off the field.

NM
not necessarily. he has 0 ego and i dont think he would do anything wreckless or something that would harm his future.

Quote:
Polamalu, who has missed the last three games because of a medial collateral ligament sprain in his left knee, has been upgraded from questionable to probable for the 1 p.m. game at Heinz Field.

The strong safety said Thursday that it is not certain he will play even though his knee is "coming along."

"It's really a six-week injury," said Polamalu, who hurt his knee in the Steelers' 27-0 loss to the Ravens on Nov. 26. "Obviously, I'm pushing it by even practicing."

The Steelers' late playoff push is a big reason why Polamalu is doing everything he can to return to the starting lineup.

Tyrone Carter is a big reason why Polamalu and the Steelers will almost certainly err on the side of caution when it comes to his knee.
i hope the steelers to hold him back. he could play and the ravens still win or he could not play and the ravens still lose.

troy would definitely help (especially in run support) but i dont think he would be an x factor.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:10 AM   #15
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

I think Troy knows his body possibly better than the MRI, and he knows we need to win the next two games. He probably decided long ago he would play in this game if we were in contention. I know no one wants to see him risk further injury, but havent we all been looking forward to seeing Troy and Smith back there together!
Stay healthy Troy, kick some Raven a$$ guys!!
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote