Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-29-2006, 04:14 AM   #21
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498
Default Re: LLT's Mock draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Talent wise I agree with you 100%...but need...availability..and talent have to be considered...If you have a serious need at CB.. can you pass up the best three CB's in the first part of the first round, KNOWING that they will be picked by the beginning of the second?...I personally dont think this draft is SUPER deep at CB and look for teams to take a chance.

Of all my picks I agree with the majority that its Bush that is the biggest reach...(also Kolb from Houstan who I think I will be putting back into the first round before the draft actually gets here)...but I am sticking to my guns. I was lambasted for putting Jay Cutler in my top 10 last year amd now feel somewhat vindicated. (Still believe that Oakland should have grabbed him)

Well said LLT and I feel you,.....in regards to need and availability. But i think at least one of them would still be on the board early in the second. The reason i say this is because, i really believe that someone will select Texas Cb Aaron Ross (and very possibly Daymeion Hughes). Thereby dropping one of the aforementioned corners into the early second.

I honestly believe Laron Landry is the best "overall" Db coming out this year. And i think he would be a very good selection for us in the first. I know he's a F/S,... but he's played both Safety positions as well as Cornerback. I think that flexibilty along with his playmaking ability would make him an immediate "impact" player for us in the secondary. (Look at how his brother Dawan is performing for the Ratbirds,.....and he's not the player Laron is)
As far as Bush,....i don't think he's that big a "reach" in reality. His injury was a break with no ligament damage. (Not to mention very early in the season) If he rehabed properly he should be the same player he was prior to the injury.
Oh yeah,...... good call on Cutler. But you know the Raiders front office always goes with the "sexy" pick at a need position. (Unless of course that need is QB,.....they prefer "journeymen") LOL

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:11 AM   #22
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCzar76 View Post
Well said LLT and I feel you,.....in regards to need and availability. But i think at least one of them would still be on the board early in the second. The reason i say this is because, i really believe that someone will select Texas Cb Aaron Ross (and very possibly Daymeion Hughes). Thereby dropping one of the aforementioned corners into the early second.

I honestly believe Laron Landry is the best "overall" Db coming out this year. And i think he would be a very good selection for us in the first. I know he's a F/S,... but he's played both Safety positions as well as Cornerback. I think that flexibilty along with his playmaking ability would make him an immediate "impact" player for us in the secondary. (Look at how his brother Dawan is performing for the Ratbirds,.....and he's not the player Laron is)
As far as Bush,....i don't think he's that big a "reach" in reality. His injury was a break with no ligament damage. (Not to mention very early in the season) If he rehabed properly he should be the same player he was prior to the injury.
Oh yeah,...... good call on Cutler. But you know the Raiders front office always goes with the "sexy" pick at a need position. (Unless of course that need is QB,.....they prefer "journeymen") LOL

Man I LOVE Laron!!! and agree that he is gonna be special...I have Hughes going to Buffalo at 17 and Ross going to New Englans at 28..I would have had Ross earlier but with limited experience I am a little gunshy...
(How would you like to get one of the CB's..and turn around in the second and have Bush still on the boards!!!???)
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:20 AM   #23
SteelCzar76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
(How would you like to get one of the CB's..and turn around in the second and have Bush still on the boards!!!???)
You mean like trade down and pick up one up later in the first ? (If we didn't take Landry,...much to my chagrin)
That would be almost "too perfect". LOL We would be able to address the secondary and ground game,.....within the first two Rnds ? (That would leave us more than enough picks to supplement the O-line and possibly pick up a tweener DE to develop at Lb.)
And maybe a deep threat wr with "red zone" size to take wilson's spot.

"Hail Caesar,........HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"
Old 12-29-2006, 09:11 AM   #24
skidboot
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3704
Default Re: LLT's Mock draft (Updated 27/12)

would we really go for Landry?

Polamalu (contract is up after this year?) and A.Smith as starters in the future along with Carter etc do we really have the room for Landry?

nothing against Landry, I just don't see the fit.

BTW.....I think that R.Nelson stepped up this year and became the #1 S for the Draft.

We are also going to have to address the LB position. When?.....hopefully early. Porter, Farrior and Haggans are all creeping up on that magical "30" number.

I'd love to see us drop a wee bit and pick up a couple of picks.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:25 AM   #25
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidboot View Post

Polamalu (contract is up after this year?) and A.Smith as starters in the future along with Carter etc do we really have the room for Landry?

BTW.....I think that R.Nelson stepped up this year and became the #1 S for the Draft.

We are also going to have to address the LB position. When?.....hopefully early. Porter, Farrior and Haggans are all creeping up on that magical "30" number.

I love Landry...but still think we go CB...I agree that Nelson is rising..I have him going to the Bears in the first round...As for OLB..I have been hoping that Quinton Moses could somehow fall to us!!!!
Is there someway to manipulate the draft to get Moses, McCauley, Bush, and Joe Thomas?..LOL
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:54 PM   #26
SteelCzar76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidboot View Post

The way i look at it skid,......you can never have enough "stud" DB's. (Worst case scenario,....you've got QUALITY depth.) Smith shows a considerable amount of promise and i've endorsed him since camp. But let's not count our proverbial chickens before they hatch. ?
Now with that said,.......both Clark and Ty are expendable. (Clark less so,.....but still "average" at best) And Mike Logan is in the "twighlight" of his career.
And Landry is not an "average" player. Like i said before,... he has played every position in the secondary and could very well make the switch to corner. And being that this year's crop of corners is relatively weak (in a sense that they're no "exceptional" impact guys)..........i think you go with the best "overall" DB.
Nelson has had an impressive "SEASON" at the safety position. But Landry has been productive for his entire tour at LSU,.....and IMO is the "total package". (so to speak)
Bottom line,......our defensive backfield though not our only weakness......is still our most considerable one and should be addressed aggressively. (ie forget about the "bandaids on bulletwounds" players.)

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"
Old 12-30-2006, 05:31 PM   #27
SteelCzar76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
Anyone think that maybe Anthony Smithis a little too wild to play on the same field as Troy? I was thiking that Troy is complimented more by a steady guy who is going ot be where he is supposed to be to cover for Troy. Smith already seems more like Troy and while it's hard to say that is a bad thing, it might be bad to have 2 Troys on the field at the same time. Does any of that make sense?

It makes perfect sense NC. The key is to have someone else on the field with Troy that he can not only trust to be the "last line of defense",....but someone whom can also "make plays" as well,...... without sacrificing the well being of their unit.
This is easier said than done though,....and takes an exceptional player to do so.

Old 12-30-2006, 05:55 PM   #28
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

I'm so glad some fans can assume Anthony Smith is to wild only after a hand full of games that he started. Smith is still young and growing. To say he is to wild is a bit pre-mature don't you think?
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:59 PM   #29
Krepotkin
Water Boy

Member Number: 4465
Thumbs up Re: LLT's Mock draft (Updated 27/12)

All of you guys are so hung up on Mike Bush, but what about Lorenzo Booker. IMO he's the best back in college and his potential is limitless. Hasnt been too impressive because of FSU's terrible o-line, but hes got ROY written all over him running behind Mr. Hartings and Mr. Faneca.
Krepotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:15 PM   #30
SteelCzar76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krepotkin View Post
All of you guys are so hung up on Mike Bush, but what about Lorenzo Booker. IMO he's the best back in college and his potential is limitless. Hasnt been too impressive because of FSU's terrible o-line, but hes got ROY written all over him running behind Mr. Hartings and Mr. Faneca.

Booker's got talent,....but he's undersized. And i think the idea is to pick up a "Power" back to compliment Willie. Though i could see bringing him (Booker) in to give him a look in the return game.

"Hail Caesar,.....HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Last edited by SteelCzar76; 12-31-2006 at 06:26 AM.