Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-07-2005, 09:59 PM   #1
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Lightbulb The coaches or the players...

So we already talked about and continue to do so, where the pats would be without Brady..but

Where would brady be without Bill B, Charlie Weiss, ? How bout Peyton Manning, what if he ended up w/ a team like the Giants, would he be where he is now? I think not in that case.

But coaches are often times overlooked and I'd venture to say that Brady wouldnt be where he is today in terms of stats and championships if it werent for Bill B and his staff.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:58 AM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: The coaches or the players...

Its difficult to say with Manning - if the front office followed the same route as the Colts and sacraficed a balanced team for the sake of Peyton making it to the probowl every year - then I can see him putting up similar numbers.

If you threw him straight in there now - then I think he may struggle quite alot - he has become accustomed to no.4 WR's that most teams would have as a no.2WR - and has never done well without the Edge in the backfield.

If you have a QB that talented then surely you can afford to stock pile a little more in terms of defensive personnel.

As far as Brady is concerned - my honest opinion is that BB would not be where HE is if Brady was not on the scene.

When Brady took the reigns way back in 2001 - it was essentially Bledsoe's offense that he inherited - an offense that was struggling hugely - but Brady made an immediate impact by putting 44 points on the Colts in his first start.

Would Brady have 3 rings if it wasn't for BB? I doubt it - BB has worked wonders with the D over the last 4 years in conjunction with Crennell - and you cant win it all with an unbalanced side.

Brady is still improving - he is gradually throwing off the shackles that have been imposed by Weis's successful Offense - but I have a feeling that we haven't seen the 'Best Of Brady' yet....

Cheers

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:59 AM   #3
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

In Brady's case I think it's a combination of exceptional coaches, talented teammates and a rather large dose of good fortune.
I'm of the opinion if the Pat's don't get a couple of those favorable calls in the '01 playoff game against Oakland and lose that game we're talking possibly about a totally different New England team and Tom Brady.

Whatever way the Pat's got things done in '01 that season is what cemented Brady's confidence level and the entire organization.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:04 AM   #4
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

I heard a quote on the sports radio(occupational hazzard) that Bill Walsh said even if he had Phil Simms instead of Montana, he would have built a system around Simms. I think NE is in the same pool. Granted he took over a pass type team from Bledsoe, but all their cost-cutting/value moves point towards guys that can excel from Tom hitting 3rd and 4th reads and not turning the ball over. I think the coaching changes and player changes will challenge NE this year, but the sad part is its amazing what 3 SB wins will do to your confidence.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:09 AM   #5
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

The great coaches develop schemes that put their best players in the best scenarios to be successful. That is a HUGE key when talking about a subject like this. They surround themselves w/ players that will fit into their plans and players who can do the things he will ask of them, and they in turn perform at a high level because they are the right person for the job. As opposed to another GREAT player who could have been chosen but wasnt because his skills didnt fit well into a particular teams system.

by that logic, you can make a good case for the coaches being the big reason.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:34 AM   #6
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I really hate to take credit away from Bill B. or from Tom Brady. They both deserve alot of props.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:51 AM   #7
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

If Brady played on the Colts or Packers, he'd likely still a 2nd string QB...Not because of anything he did or did not do, simply because he was a 2nd string QB and those 2 never get injured. He was in the right place at the right time and his talent was revealed...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 09:20 AM   #8
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

There is always alot of luck involved. As well as skills. Brady is in the right system for him. He would still be a good qb on other teams. But he is a great qb where he is. If Marino would have ever had a good running game, would he have thrown for so many yards or tds??
Old 09-12-2005, 08:06 PM   #9
CowherLover
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
If Brady played on the Colts or Packers, he'd likely still a 2nd string QB...Not because of anything he did or did not do, simply because he was a 2nd string QB and those 2 never get injured. He was in the right place at the right time and his talent was revealed...
Kind of like Willie Parker. I'd never wish anything bad on our guys but everything happens for a reason.
CowherLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:36 PM   #10
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
There is always alot of luck involved. As well as skills. Brady is in the right system for him. He would still be a good qb on other teams. But he is a great qb where he is. If Marino would have ever had a good running game, would he have thrown for so many yards or tds??
There's been many a great or simply very good player that's gotten their break in the league due to an injury or holdout of their predecessor.

Tom Brady, Earl Holmes, Yancy Thigpen, Hines Ward, Bryan Westbrook (eagles) just name a few off the top of my head.

When the time is right, u have to seize the moment cuz it may never come again and Willie is definately doing it so far.