Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-02-2007, 10:48 AM   #1
Stillers#1
Banned

Member Number: 1082
Default THE OFFICIAL - Bash James Brown thread

Here now we can say why we didn't like him.

My reason, he was a woman beater. I don't care how much he contributed to the music industry. Pretty much everyone is saying that if you beat women and you don't contribute to society you're a bad person, but since he was a great musician, he gets a free pass.

BS!
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Re: THE OFFICIAL - Bash James Brown thread

Sinatra was supposedly another one. Same with Chuck Berry. And John Lennon confessed in song ("I used to be cruel to my woman, I beat her and kept her away from the things that she loved...").

There's lots of them. If you insist that your art be free from contamination that's cool, but remember to apply consistency.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
Stillers#1
Banned

I don't think I have made a thread praising any of those guys and then said to be fair b/c they contributed so much to music.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #4
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Nope, you didn't, and I didn't mean to do anything other than highlight the conundrum raised when you apply that standard; it can be hard to decide who to like and who not to like based on how they conduct their personal life, knowing only what is reported or what is public record.

And I meant no judgement on that decision. It's as good a way to judge someone as any other. But it would be difficult to apply consistency.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #5
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,458 Times in 1,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillers#1 View Post

My reason, he was a woman beater. I don't care how much he contributed to the music industry. Pretty much everyone is saying that if you beat women and you don't contribute to society you're a bad person, but since he was a great musician, he gets a free pass.

BS!
Might want to include Michale Jackasson in there too. Even thou his still alive.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

Yep - it always happens when somebody dies -- the media goes to work making them bigger in death then they were in life -- I have always wondered why we can't just admire their talents and nothing else - don't strain to talk about what great people they were - just talk about the music, the athletic ability, etc and then stop!! - Derek Thomas of the Chiefs was another example of this - here was a guy with 8 kids from 7 different women - when he died he had nothing - nada set aside for any of his kids - but yet he had several closets full of expensive designer shoes and clothing and he was highly disrespectful towards women - especially the mothers of his children -- but there was the media talking and straining about what a great guy he was -- shut up!!! - just say he was a good pass rusher and leave it at that - and move on....

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006

Last edited by sumo; 01-02-2007 at 12:41 PM.
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #7
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
Sinatra was supposedly another one. Same with Chuck Berry. And John Lennon confessed in song ("I used to be cruel to my woman, I beat her and kept her away from the things that she loved...").

There's lots of them. If you insist that your art be free from contamination that's cool, but remember to apply consistency.

Tom
I never knew this about John Lennon --- hard to believe he could beat up anything - I'm surprised the woman he was referring to in the song didn't kick his a** - wife beaters are always punks - they will go out of their way ot make sure they never have a confrontation with another man - because - you know that's too risky - but they always go looking for fights with women....

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:09 PM   #8
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillers#1 View Post

BS!
I fail to see how paying respects to James Brown and remembering his contributions to the music industry is giving him a "free pass." Should we just forget about that altogether? I don't think that's fair or right. Gerald Ford just passed away - should we only remember his pardon of Nixon? When Nixon himself passed away, people still paid their respects and found positive things to say about him - should we have only focused on the Watergate scandal? How about Derrick Thomas and John Lennon and JFK or Bill Clinton for that matter - should people not remember the good that they did just because of their conduct in their personal lives? Was James Brown a perfect person? Obviously, he was not...but neither are you, me or anyone else.

Last edited by X-Terminator; 01-02-2007 at 11:13 PM.
X-Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:52 AM   #9
Stillers#1
Banned

I could personally give a shit less what he did for music, if he hadn't done it, someone else would have. Yea, I know I am not perfect, but James Brown will always be a wife-beater in my book.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:09 AM   #10
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo View Post
I never knew this about John Lennon --- hard to believe he could beat up anything - I'm surprised the woman he was referring to in the song didn't kick his a** - wife beaters are always punks - they will go out of their way ot make sure they never have a confrontation with another man - because - you know that's too risky - but they always go looking for fights with women....

It was pretty well known about Lennon at the time. He credited Yoko Ono with changing his personality, making him a better man. Whatever she did to break up The Beatles, she was good for Lennon; getting him off heroin and teaching him benevolence.

Look at this lyric he wrote...

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE

Well I'd rather see you dead, little girl
Than to be with another man
You better keep your head, little girl
Or I won't know where I am

You better run for your life if you can, little girl
Hide your head in the sand little girl
Catch you with another man
That's the end'a little girl

Well you know that I'm a wicked guy
And I was born with a jealous mind