Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-06-2005, 11:42 PM   #1
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Exclamation Cowher concerned about passing game

Bill Cowher has one concern about his team as it prepares to open the season Sunday and it's not his defense, not his running game, not his offensive line and not a surprise.

His passing game has looked like a duck and sounded like a duck, but Cowher can only hope it's really not a duck.

"Would I like to see us more in sync in the passing game? Yes," Cowher said yesterday. "And that's the one thing I would come out of the preseason saying I wish we would have done better. But we are where we are. That's really the only true element I am, if you want to use the word, concerned or worried about. That's it."

He has the cold, hard facts to back it up: Ben Roethlisberger completed only 44.4 percent of his passes, threw two interceptions and had a miserable 32.8 passer rating; the first-team offense didn't produce a touchdown in the preseason. The team's top three receivers caught 10 passes for only 91 yards and dropped at least half that many.

"We didn't throw the ball, I think, as efficiently as I'd like to see us throw it," Cowher said.

That might be a big reason the Steelers signed veteran receiver Quincy Morgan, cut by the Cowboys, yesterday afternoon after Cowher's news conference.

The stats say the Steelers didn't run efficiently either because they averaged only 3.4 yards per carry.

But with Duce Staley out, Jerome Bettis limited to nine carries before a calf injury early in the third game and Willie Parker being held out virtually for two games, Cowher said he wasn't worried about that part of the offense.

Parker, who averaged 10.2 yards per carry in the preseason, will start Sunday against Tennessee at Heinz Field.

"I'm not worried about the running game, at least from the preseason standpoint," Cowher said. "It doesn't mean we won't come in here and have a tough time running the ball. It's not because of the preseason, it's because Tennessee's pretty good and they may take that element away from us."

Cowher made it plain that if the Steelers have a tough time throwing, it won't be because of the Titans' defense as much as it will be because their passing offense is not performing.

here's the rest
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:47 PM   #2
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508
Default Re: Cowher concerned about passing game

well maybe if he would use his 2005 1st round draft pick right, and if he would've got some good wrs not midgets there wouldn't be a problem with the passing game. if they don't use heath miller the way he should be used we would have wasted two picks this year, one on him and the other on gibson. thank god willie is going to be running the ball and with his speed he can put us in great positions to score.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:57 PM   #3
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

We've got as many weapons as any good team in the league on offense.. so yes, there should be no excuses.. Pro bowl WR's yeah we got em..pro bowl RB's, yeah we got em, Pro bowl OL, yeah we got those too..and the best TE in the draft.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 05:45 AM   #4
Black-n-Gold
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 602

Hopefully Morgan brings alot to the WRs, from what i've seen in the past he'll be a nice addition. I never saw him much when he was on the Cowboys though.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:21 AM   #5
Da Boot
Water Boy

Member Number: 513

Well he should be!!
Old 09-07-2005, 12:05 PM   #6
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-n-Gold
Hopefully Morgan brings alot to the WRs, from what i've seen in the past he'll be a nice addition. I never saw him much when he was on the Cowboys though.
not his fault though, he had vinny throwing the ball, and when he got there it was about the same time julius came back and they ran a lot and didn't throw cause when vinny did it ended up in the wrong hands. also i read on espn.com that he was brought in for the 3rd wr. but i guess they are just assuming because they saw that wilson had a bad preseason.

here's the article:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=2153565
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 06:43 PM   #7
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Cowher aint worried no more.
And to think I said we had no deep threat. Randle El I do apologize!