Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-23-2007, 07:51 PM   #21
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Grimm = AZ Cardinal

I'm very happy for Russ, but in order for him to be effective as an OLC with the Cards, they need to get him an OL first. They have all of the makings of a team on the rise, but simply put, their OL sucks.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:34 PM   #22
rags1336
Water Boy

Member Number: 4675

Good ridance! That man was one of the dumbest coaches I have ever seen, now I see why the line regressed this year. He might have been a likable guy to the players but I believe he was one of the things holding us back. Considering the amount of high draft picks on our line they should have been dominant, but in fact the young guys weren't even developing properly. Look for the new OL coach to get guys like Trai Essex, Willie Colon, and Chris Kemoatu to the next level. And look for either Kendell Simmons to either get where he's supposed to be or be released. Cowher & Co. cut their favorite players too much slack, I believe Tomlin will make veterans play better in fear of their jobs.
rags1336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:08 PM   #23
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck44 View Post
Damn! Arizona is going to be very good very soon.
Don't count on it. The Bidwell Family will find a way to screw things up out here. Trust me, there's a reason why tha Cardinals always suck.

I guess this makes Russ Grimm the new version of Mean Joe.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:17 PM   #24
MommyDoc
Water Boy

Member Number: 2636
Thumbs down Re: Grimm = AZ Cardinal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags1336 View Post
Good ridance! That man was one of the dumbest coaches I have ever seen, now I see why the line regressed this year. He might have been a likable guy to the players but I believe he was one of the things holding us back. Considering the amount of high draft picks on our line they should have been dominant, but in fact the young guys weren't even developing properly. Look for the new OL coach to get guys like Trai Essex, Willie Colon, and Chris Kemoatu to the next level. And look for either Kendell Simmons to either get where he's supposed to be or be released. Cowher & Co. cut their favorite players too much slack, I believe Tomlin will make veterans play better in fear of their jobs.
And you are the most insensitive poster I have ever encountered.....I thouth you had been banned after the whole fat fiasco. Welcome to my ignore list.

Last edited by MommyDoc; 01-23-2007 at 10:53 PM.
MommyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:49 PM   #25
pittsburgh$teelersfan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1466

Oh Well
Old 01-24-2007, 09:22 AM   #26
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Grimm may have misread situation
Rooney II: Offer discussed, but not tendered

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Could a misunderstanding or miscommunication have occurred that led Russ Grimm to believe that he was offered the Steelers' head-coaching job Saturday?

Art Rooney II, the team's president, believes that is possible. A published report declared that Grimm had been offered and accepted the Steelers' head-coaching job Saturday night. The Steelers hired Mike Tomlin as their coach Sunday and publicly introduced him Monday.

Yesterday, Grimm accepted a job as the assistant head coach and offensive line coach of the Arizona Cardinals, the same titles he held with the Steelers. The job reunites him with new Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt, the Steelers' former offensive coordinator who had been considered among the leading candidates to replace Bill Cowher, along with Grimm. The Steelers released Grimm from his contract with them after he requested it.

Rooney did not deny that the team discussed an offer with Grimm, but he said no deal was completed.

"Let me put it this way: We made Russ a finalist, and I think at that point we felt he was somebody we seriously were considering for the job," Rooney said yesterday. "I have a tremendous amount of respect for Russ and I do hope he gets a shot to be a head coach; I think he deserves it. I think its fair to say he came close."

Rooney admitted that the Steelers had talked about contract numbers with Grimm's agent, but he said they also talked about numbers with Tomlin's representatives.

As for any such contract offer they might have given to Grimm, Rooney said, "We discussed that it's not going to be final until it's final. It's one of those things I think we made clear it was not final at the time we spoke."

A possible misunderstanding then?

"I think on the agent's part; they tend to think in those kinds of terms," Rooney said. "I think we made it clear at the time we spoke that it was not final, and we were going to speak again on Sunday. I believe the agent was told not to say anything to anybody because of that. I think the league people caused some confusion, which was unfortunate, but that didn't come from us."

The Steelers were furious over reports that surfaced Saturday on SI.com and ESPN that Tomlin had been chosen as their head coach. They insisted they did not pick their coach until Sunday. Rooney blamed "league people" for those reports.

"Let's put it this way, I think I know where both of the leaks came from and I think it's unfortunate when people talk about something when you're dealing with these things," Rooney said, then quoted an old Yogi Berra saying. "It ain't over 'til it's over, and people were claiming something was over when it was not."

Grimm seemed disappointed, but said he wasn't bitter over the way events played out.

"Obviously, it was tough," Grimm told reporters in a conference call yesterday. "I thought I had a shot at it. Whatever the details are and things like that, I respect the decision that was made.

"It's time to move on. I'm thrilled to be in Arizona."

Grimm's agent, Eric Metz, declined comment.

Rooney said it was extremely close between Tomlin and Grimm.

"I think it's fair to say Russ was close. We gave serious consideration to giving Russ the job, and he merited it. That's why we made him a finalist."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07024/756276-66.stm
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:48 AM   #27
Justin Otstott
Team Captain

Member Number: 539
My Mood: Relaxed

who cares they are gone....anyways!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:03 AM   #28
Dawson63
Water Boy

Member Number: 4290

I wish Whiz and Grimm the best...however we travel to Arizona this coming season...I hope we had their a$$es to them on that day!
Dawson63 is offline   Reply With Quote