Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-23-2007, 11:36 AM   #11
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911
Default Re: Bruce Arians new OC - Grimm to leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Steelers_Fan View Post
all this love that's given to grimm...ask this: why did our offensive line suck so bad this year? roethlisberger was getting killed. I felt the o-line could have had a better year and i hold grimm partly responsible for that.

trust me, if grimm had overwhelmed the rooney's he'd be the head coach today. i'll miss grimm, but i'm not willing to say that he's the greatest o-line coach out there.
Agreed, I just keep looking to the two games with the Ravens. The team didn't look any better prepared the second time we played, and that cost us the playoffs in the end.

I believe Coach Tomlin would have beat out the Whiz also. IMO
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:36 AM   #12
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I am glad to see Arians promoted,lets all hope he does well and stays a while.

While I am sad to see Grimm leave, I must say I am not surprised. I think the Steelers wanted someone young who can re-invigorate this team and has a better chance of staying in a long tenure as head coach. I wish Grimm luck in whatever he does, unless his team is playing the Pittsburgh Steelers...then I wish his team to play like poo that day.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:08 PM   #13
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

I am glad to see him go. He did nothing last year but get Ben killed on the field.. and the halftime adjustments he made..........oh wait he didnt make any, b/c ben got killed in the second half of the games too!!

Please go coach the Redskins so I can watch Romo light you up!!!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:22 PM   #14
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775

Liked Russ but can understand not retaining him. Arians should do ok. We can only wait and see. Grimm will probably end up with Whiz.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:32 PM   #15
Florida_Steelers_Fan
Starter

Member Number: 4759

This from the Post-Gazette:

Grimm to join Arizona Cardinals staff

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Russ Grimm, who came in second for the Steelers head coaching job Sunday that went to Mike Tomlin, was named assistant head coach and offensive line coach of the Arizona Cardinals today.

Grimm, 47, held both of those titles with the Steelers. The job reunites him with new Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt, the Steelers offensive coordinator who had been considered among the leading candidates to replace Bill Cowher here, along with Grimm. The Steelers released Grimm from his contract with them after he requested it.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:07 PM   #16
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Another article on the subject:

Steelers coaching staff: Tomlin tabs Arians as his offensive coordinator

Wednesday, January 24, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

MOBILE, Ala. -- One day after taking in all the pomp and circumstance that surrounded his appointment as Bill Cowher's successor, Mike Tomlin rolled up his sleeves and went to work as the new coach of the Steelers.
A day that began with several meetings and hirings at the team's South Side facility ended nearly 1,000 miles away with more meetings and more hirings, including the people who will run his offense and defense.
Tomlin and director of football operations Kevin Colbert flew to Mobile, Ala., via private jet yesterday to scout college players preparing for the Senior Bowl and to meet with the coaches who remain from Cowher's staff. His first objective was to tell Dick LeBeau, the defensive coordinator the past three seasons, he would be retained to run the Steelers' defense, a move Tomlin confirmed during the news conference Monday announcing his hiring.
Then, he told Bruce Arians, the team's wide receivers coach, he will be promoted to offensive coordinator -- a position Arians, 54, once held with the Cleveland Browns. Arians will replace Ken Whisenhunt, who became head coach of the Arizona Cardinals.
"Being back in the saddle and calling plays again is where I want to be," Arians said. "We got a good offensive football team and I want to maintain it and maybe make it a little better."
Arians will have at least one other member of the offensive staff to work with -- tight ends coach James Daniel, who is also expected to be retained.
But it is LeBeau, 69, who will have very little disruption to the defensive staff. Tomlin is expected to retain all the defensive coaches from Cowher's staff, including both secondary coaches, Darren Perry and Ray Horton, a surprising development for a coach who employed a different defensive scheme with the Minnesota Vikings. All the coaches from Cowher's staff had at least one year remaining on their contracts.
Earlier, Tomlin was at the team's complex on the South Side and retained another holdover from Cowher's staff -- conditioning coordinator Chet Fuhrman, who also had a year remaining on his contract.
Tomlin needs several other assistant coaches and already has discussed the openings with potential candidates. He has talked to former Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Ken Anderson about becoming the team's quarterback coach, apparently replacing Mark Whipple.
Anderson, the Bengals' all-time leading passer, has been an assistant coach the past four seasons in Jacksonville, the past three as the Jaguars' quarterbacks coach. Anderson was the Bengals' offensive coordinator at a time when LeBeau was their defensive coordinator and head coach.
Also, Larry Zierlein, an assistant offensive line coach with the Buffalo Bills, is a possibility to replace Russ Grimm, who asked the Steelers to release him from his contract after he lost out to Tomlin to become the new head coach. Grimm joined the Arizona Cardinals yesterday as offensive line coach/assistant head coach -- the same title he had with the Steelers -- and will be reunited with Whisenhunt.
Zierlein was the offensive line coach at the University of Cincinnati (1997-2000) when Tomlin was the Bearcats' secondary coach and also was the Browns' offensive line coach in 2001-04 when Arians was the offensive coordinator. Arians has been the Steelers' wide receivers coach since he was fired as the Browns' offensive coordinator in 2003. He was also an offensive coordinator at Alabama and Mississippi State, in addition to being head coach at Temple University.

Does anybody else scratch there head on the hiring of Zierlein? He was a coach for the Browns OL? Did he see how bad the Browns OL has been?

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote