Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 09-22-2005, 05:18 PM   #31
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Bring on the Pats !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
It's week 3...stats mean just about nothing at this point.
I agree - sometimes stats mean not much in week17 - but what the hey.....I feel like an NFL coach when I pillage NFL.om's database for random stats.....

Cheers

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:24 PM   #32
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
I agree - sometimes stats mean not much in week17 - but what the hey.....I feel like an NFL coach when I pillage NFL.om's database for random stats.....

Cheers

NM
Stats mean a lot more in baseball. It's something to be mindful of, but probably plays a lot less into actual gameplanning by NFL coaches than us average Joe fans think.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:45 PM   #33
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545

Quote:
You think there is no chance that that Cowher will let Big Ben come out throwing then? I know its the Steelers way to pound the ground - but I remember alot of complaints this off-season that recent Steelers teams have suffered from a lack of variety in their offensive play-calling.

Lets face it - if you are sitting at home (and are presumably not a current NFL football coach) then you seem to almost know as much as Cowher does about the shape your offense is going to take sunday - this cant be a good thing can it?

Cheers

NM
Everyone knows what the shape of our offense is, and until someone can stop it,thats what we will continue to do. I'd be really suprised if Ben puts it up more than 20 times.
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 07:46 PM   #34
Hammer67
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 651

Quote:
You think there is no chance that that Cowher will let Big Ben come out throwing then? I know its the Steelers way to pound the ground - but I remember alot of complaints this off-season that recent Steelers teams have suffered from a lack of variety in their offensive play-calling.

Lets face it - if you are sitting at home (and are presumably not a current NFL football coach) then you seem to almost know as much as Cowher does about the shape your offense is going to take sunday - this cant be a good thing can it?

Cheers

NM

Clearly you didn't see the 2003 Steeler season!! TOMMY GUN!!!

I think you got it backwards...the last couple of seasons under Mularkey as OC, there were too many gadget plays, too much passing and not enough Steeler football which means pounding it until the cows come home then play action pass to score.

Last season the Steelers went back to this style of football and went 15-1 and back to the AFC Championship. With...a rookie QB. SO...playcalling, at least last year, was definitly not the problem...

Turnovers by a rookie QB in the AFC Championship game was the only problem.

Hammer
Hammer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 07:48 PM   #35
Hammer67
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 651

Quote:

Cheers

NM

Actually...the fun part is knowing exactly that and watching teams not be able to stop it...
Hammer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:37 PM   #36
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer67
Actually...the fun part is knowing exactly that and watching teams not be able to stop it...
And, 2 games of stats aside, the Steelers outmatch the Pats at the LOS, and they will be hard pressed to stop our running attack. If they commit too much to the run, we pass...Ben ain't a rookie anymore.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:09 PM   #37
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

Stats are important, but since its week 2 you can't really put much weight on avg's yards yet...so you gotta just take samples collected...

Rush attempts per game PIT is up 36 to 23.
Total rushing yards per game PIT is up 170 to 56

So yes you getting a high average yards in the 4th against a Carolina D playing back is quite fine. We will accept we gave up 4 yards a carry to TEN and HOU since we had them in 2nd/3rd and long all day.

Days end, our numbers show our system is working. Might not get the same results against you guys this Sunday, but we have plenty of faith in it. Your numbers show your system wont hold up all year, which shows come Sunday you need to have a plan B if Dillon doesn't get going and Brady is left to wait for Troy to come head hunting. As said, plenty will be revealed come Sunday. Been waiting to see it.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:52 PM   #38
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,833 Times in 3,707 Posts

Quote:

Cheers

NM
ben had 200 yds and 2 td by halftime of the 1st game and looked like he was gonna have the same by half of last weekend. while they do run alot its not like they havnt come out with guns firing. they just like to take big chunks at a time rather than dinking and dunking it downfield. while they got the personnel to do that i kinda think its counter productive. it dont help the steelers with time of possession and it doesnt keep their defense fresh. while cowher is predictable, it is by design. 16 times last year they won with the formula in place and everyone knows it. 2 times they lost. pretty good odds. they tried the spread formation and greatest show on turf route. it contributed to a 6-10 season (and thankfully the #11 pick in last years draft.)
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 06:10 PM   #39
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
ben had 200 yds and 2 td by halftime of the 1st game and looked like he was gonna have the same by half of last weekend. while they do run alot its not like they havnt come out with guns firing. they just like to take big chunks at a time rather than dinking and dunking it downfield. while they got the personnel to do that i kinda think its counter productive. it dont help the steelers with time of possession and it doesnt keep their defense fresh. while cowher is predictable, it is by design. 16 times last year they won with the formula in place and everyone knows it. 2 times they lost. pretty good odds. they tried the spread formation and greatest show on turf route. it contributed to a 6-10 season (and thankfully the #11 pick in last years draft.)
If its good for 17 wins a year - then try not to waste them all on games before the AFCC this year.......

My argument was that if you are happy with getting to the post-season and no further then predictability is ok when you have as much talent as the Steelers do - but when you meet a team as good or better than the Steelers then you may need to do a little 'outside-of-the-box' thinking as regards playcalling.

Cheers

NM

ps spotted the reference to dink'n'dunk lol
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote