Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-08-2007, 11:38 PM   #31
rhino
Water Boy

Member Number: 4784
Default Re: article on Lloyd's Son Part I

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachspeak33 View Post
Wow.... I dunno what to say.... Probably has something to do with Lloyd's absence from anything NFL related since the day he retired....

He is either guilty, ashamed, or both.
Actually, I just saw Greg Lloyd today. I went to the NFL Skills Challenge here in Hawaii and he was playing in the NFL Legends flag football game. I thought it was ironic that Greg shows up and plays after I just hear about this crap. I was torn. I loved Greg Lloyd the player and wanted to cheer for him. But I'm also a father and would NEVER EVER consider anything like he did. He is basically a child abuser. I stand against that in all ways.

It was very very surreal to see him out there today. First, because nobody expected Greg Lloyd to be there and second because I JUST read these articles about him.
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:43 PM   #32
ThatGuy246
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3089

I agree with all those who have noted that there are two sides to any argument. That said, I have to admit that I don't exactly have the utmost faith in Lloyd Sr.'s side. It's incredibly easy for a high-profile pro athelete to make the claim of, "Oh, she just wanted money and saw her meal ticket drying up."

Either way, I don't know what happened, and none of us do. But I did want to comment on one aspect of the very insightful Lloyd interview that is posted on Page 2 of this thread (thanks to whomever added it, though at the moment I forget the SN).

I've practiced martial arts since my earliest memories. I began when I was six years old, and at 22, I'm a 3rd degree Tae kwon do black belt and have been an instructor for both children and adults for six years now. My point is this: we don't teach people to "channel their aggression."

Yes, he said all the right things. But seriously, those in martial arts will tell you that respect is the utmost principle in ANY interaction. Whatever may have happened, I don't believe that Lloyd Sr. practiced the respect & self-control that is essential to being a leader in martial arts.

My only concern here is to remind the public that the people trying to master such arts aren't necessarily aggressive or abusive. We learn it to protect ourselves, to compete, and to have fun...not to provoke others.

Maybe unrelated, but I thought it was worth noting considering how often Lloyd has cited Tae kwon do in his defense. I don't know what the real story is, and ALL the best to his son in his football/professional career.

-Deej

PS: lol, I just lost a long edit. Anyway, I just wanted to clarify my comment about "channeling your aggression. Our primary objective is to ensure that no one is harmed as a byproduct of our training, unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary.

If anyone has any questions or concerns as to martial arts training, please feel free to contact me.

Last edited by ThatGuy246; 02-08-2007 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Clarification
ThatGuy246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:53 PM   #33
rhino
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy246 View Post
I agree with all those who have noted that there are two sides to any argument. That said, I have to admit that I don't exactly have the utmost faith in Lloyd Sr.'s side. It's incredibly easy for a high-profile pro athelete to make the claim of, "Oh, she just wanted money and saw her meal ticket drying up."

Either way, I don't know what happened, and none of us do. But I did want to comment on one aspect of the very insightful Lloyd interview that is posted on Page 2 of this thread (thanks to whomever added it, though at the moment I forget the SN).

I've practiced martial arts since my earliest memories. I began when I was six years old, and at 22, I'm a 3rd degree Tae kwon do black belt and have been an instructor for both children and adults for six years now. My point is this: we don't teach people to "channel their aggression."

Yes, he said all the right things. But seriously, those in martial arts will tell you that respect is the utmost principle in ANY interaction. Whatever may have happened, I don't believe that Lloyd Sr. practiced the respect & self-control that is essential to being a leader in martial arts.

My only concern here is to remind the public that the people trying to master such arts aren't necessarily aggressive or abusive. We learn it to protect ourselves, to compete, and to have fun...not to provoke others.

Maybe unrelated, but I thought it was worth noting considering how often Lloyd has cited Tae kwon do in his defense. I don't know what the real story is, and ALL the best to his son in his football/professional career.
I didn't read the whole thing. Did Lloyd actually say something to the effect that he blamed his agression toward his son on his Tae Kwon Do training - like he was just such a mean, lean Tae Kwon Do machine that he just couldn't help but do what he did? If so, that's weak.

At the very least, admit what you did, admit it was wrong, be sorry for it (if you actually are) and then do the best you can from then on. There is no way anyone will ever think Greg Lloyd is a "good guy" after this but he can and should do the right thing and take the lumps that come with being a horrible parent.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:10 AM   #34
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,313 Times in 1,616 Posts

Man.....Thats sucks, he's one of my favorite all-time steelers. Disappointing

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:16 AM   #35
ThatGuy246
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino View Post
I didn't read the whole thing. Did Lloyd actually say something to the effect that he blamed his agression toward his son on his Tae Kwon Do training - like he was just such a mean, lean Tae Kwon Do machine that he just couldn't help but do what he did? If so, that's weak.

At the very least, admit what you did, admit it was wrong, be sorry for it (if you actually are) and then do the best you can from then on. There is no way anyone will ever think Greg Lloyd is a "good guy" after this but he can and should do the right thing and take the lumps that come with being a horrible parent.
No, he absolutely did not blame it on any kind of pent-up aggression from his martial arts training.

Admittedly, I'm very sensitive to any such association, and felt compelled to chime in my very worthless two cents. That said, I just wanted to clarify that martial arts training is not necessarily an indicator of violent behavior...just something that's very near to my heart.

-Deej
ThatGuy246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:51 AM   #36
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

This is a MAJOR assumption.... and I recognize that...

However...

The more I read his articles, etc... the more I hear a man that has serious issues. If he was sitting in my office, I would be very afraid for him and his family.

From what I read of his personal comments, would I be surprised if the claims are true? absolutely not.

And with that being the case... I don't want him EVER to associate with the Steeler team again.

Sorry, I know I am assuming... but I have all types of red flags going up from his own quotes.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:52 AM   #37
1fastprototype
Water Boy

Member Number: 1071

I had a dealing with the Lloyd's in 1996. I sent money for a signed jersey from Greg through his wife. After nine months I started getting discouraged and felt ripped off.I sent letters and left messages, each one getting more persistant. Then I get a phone call from his wife tearing me a new ass, I tell her to forget it and just send my money back. Another month goes by and now I have there personal phone number and I call and leave a message of how dissappointed I am that I have had many idols dating back to 1971 and being close to many of the players.
The very next morning I get a call from Greg himself saying how sorry he was and never even new anything about my situation and that his wife doesn't handle things in the most professional way and he would be more than happy to make it up to me.

One week latter I recieved an actual game jersey with all the scuffs on it signed, A 9x12 picture signed personally to me, a hat signed, and a avoid the Llyoyd t-shirt signed all packed up with an appoligy letter.

Needless to say there are always two sides of a story and I will not pass judgement especially when three things come into play{ a women, money, and divorce}

Gregs jersey remains in my Steelers room in a glass shadow box next to Lamberts and Hams and across from Websters and Bradshaws. I am making my own all time great team of Steelers.
1fastprototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:00 AM   #38
rhino
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastprototype View Post
I had a dealing with the Lloyd's in 1996. I sent money for a signed jersey from Greg through his wife. After nine months I started getting discouraged and felt ripped off.I sent letters and left messages, each one getting more persistant. Then I get a phone call from his wife tearing me a new ass, I tell her to forget it and just send my money back. Another month goes by and now I have there personal phone number and I call and leave a message of how dissappointed I am that I have had many idols dating back to 1971 and being close to many of the players.
The very next morning I get a call from Greg himself saying how sorry he was and never even new anything about my situation and that his wife doesn't handle things in the most professional way and he would be more than happy to make it up to me.

One week latter I recieved an actual game jersey with all the scuffs on it signed, A 9x12 picture signed personally to me, a hat signed, and a avoid the Llyoyd t-shirt signed all packed up with an appoligy letter.

Needless to say there are always two sides of a story and I will not pass judgement especially when three things come into play{ a women, money, and divorce}

Gregs jersey remains in my Steelers room in a glass shadow box next to Lamberts and Hams and across from Websters and Bradshaws. I am making my own all time great team of Steelers.
That's all well and good but remember this: Greg Lloyd pleaded NO CONTEST to holding that gun to his kid's head. For that, he paid some kind of legal price. When you plead no contest, that basically means you give up - you accept that you will be convicted of that crime but you don't want to admit you did it. Notice, Greg Lloyd did NOT plead innocent to the charge. If he "didn't do it", he probably would have. Wouldn't you?

If you still feel like Greg Lloyd is a nice guy because he sent you a box with some presents and an apology letter after he ripped you off for nine months then that's your choice. But seriously - the guy held a GUN to his KID's head. If that's the company you want to keep then that's the reputation you will assume as well - at least that's the lesson my grandfather always taught me and it has served me well.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:46 AM   #39
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

this is horrible.. he was the face of this team in the 90s. i hope he gets the proper help to deal with his anger management. when you stick a gun to two of your family members' heads, there is something psychiatrically wrong with you.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote