Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-10-2007, 09:54 AM   #11
Fullback&Punter
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5007
Default Re: Steelers Sign QB

Why not give Omar Jacobs another shot to make the team or Shane Boyd (I think that was his name)? You can never have too many good QBs in this league. Remember 2005 we needed all 3 at different points in the season. So having a good 3rd string QB could be important. I just don't think this Randall kid is a good option.
Fullback&Punter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:14 AM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback&Punter View Post
Why not give Omar Jacobs another shot to make the team or Shane Boyd (I think that was his name)? You can never have too many good QBs in this league. Remember 2005 we needed all 3 at different points in the season. So having a good 3rd string QB could be important. I just don't think this Randall kid is a good option.
i was thinking this too. i thought "o. jacobs must be pretty bad if he isnt given another shot", but i think he is a member of the eagles now. i bet boyd is on a squad out there somewhere too.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #13
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Omar is now property of someone else. I cant remember who it was but I remember seeing on espnnews bottomline sometime this week that he had signed with someone..
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:24 AM   #14
ThatGuy246
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3089

lol, I was wondering who would make the imposter joke. =)

Maybe I'm just being nostalgic, and trust me I do want the best for the team regardless, but I just think BSP is a nice guy that has a genuine love for the game. I realize that it sometimes isn't enough, but would nice to see him have some success as a reliable backup in Black & Gold...

...but at the very least, I definitely don't want to see him in the colors of another AFC North team. ;)

-DJ
ThatGuy246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #15
JDTFever84
Water Boy

Member Number: 4999

We know Ben is #1 and Charlie is #2, but look at what happened in the 2005 season when they both went down....do we really think St. Pierre could carry the team because I don't. No disrespect to him, but the highest the new QB will get is 3rd string, nothing more.

I do think they should have let Omar Jacobs have another shot at this!
JDTFever84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:07 AM   #16
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedosesteelers2006 View Post
Omar is now property of someone else. I cant remember who it was but I remember seeing on espnnews bottomline sometime this week that he had signed with someone..
QB has future in his pocket
BY CHRIS MURRAY
Tribune Staff Writer
Former Bowling Green State University star and now Eagles practice squad quarterback Omar Jacobs left school as a junior thinking that he was going to be one of the top quarterbacks picked in the 2006 NFL draft. Indeed, the 6-foot-4, 224-pound Jacobs entered the draft with some impressive credentials. During his final year of collegiate football, he threw for 26 touchdowns (against seven interceptions) despite missing the last two games of the season with an injury to his non-throwing shoulder. He put on a monster performance in a loss to Wisconsin, completing 30-of-51 passes for 458 yards and five touchdowns. Jacobs threw a school-record 71 touchdown passes and is ranked third in Bowling Green history in passing yardage (6,938 yards).

During his sophomore year, he set an NCAA Division I-A record for touchdown to interception ratio with 41 TD passes and four interceptions, and at one point during the 2005 season, some college football experts considered him a Heisman Trophy candidate.

Unfortunately, Jacobs was not selected until the fifth round by the Pittsburgh Steelers.

?I think from my experience and the numbers I put up and some of the things that I did, I thought I should have been drafted higher, but that?s the luck of the draw,? Jacobs said. ?You have to expect that from the draft. Sometimes things go people?s way and sometimes they don?t.?

In his brief stint with the Steelers, he completed 22-of-34 passes during the preseason, but by his own admission he had trouble learning the Steelers offense until late in training camp.

In his last preseason game against the Carolina Panthers, he completed 13-of-19 passes for 179 yards, but it wasn?t enough. Jacobs was ultimately cut, signed by the practice squad and cut again.

?Overall, it was good experience just to get in a camp and see what coaches want from an NFL quarterback. It was a learning experience,? Jacobs said. ?I think I did pretty well, I took the team down and scored in some preseason games. Unfortunately, it didn?t work out and that?s the business side of the NFL that you guys don?t see.?

In the wake of Donovan McNabb?s season-ending injury, Jacobs was signed to the Eagles practice squad and is hoping to hang around long enough to impress the Eagles coaching staff.

?Hopefully, I can be the future for the Eagles and be the next great quarterback here,? Jacobs said. ?I want to be in the NFL as a great quarterback and the best quarterback. Hopefully, the Eagles will see that as a possibility. If they send me to NFL Europe, then that?s what I?m going to do.?

Coming out of college, some pro scouts said he has good presence in the pocket, reads defenses well, has a quick release and knows how to read the blitz. At Bowling Green, Jacobs played in a spread option offense in which he operated out of the shotgun formation.

?It was more of a typical college offense that involved reading the end like Vince Young ( Texas). I did a lot of throwing with sprint out passes,? Jacobs said.

Jacobs said the biggest adjustment that he?s had to make was to quickly learn a team?s offensive terminology. When he was with the Steelers, accounts in the Pittsburgh area media said he had trouble understanding some of the complex formation and motion changes along with developing timing with different receivers.

?It?s the terminology. Going to Pittsburgh first and trying to figure out their offense and once I figured it out, I was gone,? Jacobs said. ?Now it?s back to speaking Chinese again. You come in at the middle of the season and you don?t have training camp to get the basics down, so you have to learn on the fly. That?s the most difficult part.?

Jacobs said he is splitting time with third string quarterback A.J. Feeley. He also spends time working in the backfield on both sides of the ball as either a safety on defense or a running back on offense.

?I?ll do whatever I can to help the team,? he said.

Ultimately, Jacobs wants to make his bones in this league as a quarterback. With McNabb suffering his third major injury in the last five years, some observers are speculating that the Eagles will likely select another quarterback in the next draft to eventually to be his successor.

?Hopefully, I can convince them that I?m that guy,? Jacobs said
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:02 AM   #17
Hines86Ward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2256

Omar is on the Eagles, Boyd is on the Cardinals.

People are looking too much into this, Randall is just an extra QB.....
Old 02-12-2007, 12:48 AM   #18
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback&Punter View Post

When I think of these 2 QB's I can hear the Jeff Spicoli interview from the movie Fast Times at Ridgemont High, "Huh huh, those guys are F A G S."
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #19
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedosesteelers2006 View Post
please get rid of that abortion picture NOBODY wants to see that
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote