Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-13-2007, 10:27 AM   #11
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: more fom Tomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by robzombie813 View Post
Yeah, I'm beginning to think Alan should just start keeping his opinion to himself. It's one thing to have and express your opinion, but, that almost bordered on malicious, I think. Alan Faneca is a great lineman and one of the best left guards in all of football, but, he needs to think first, install a Shut-Up filter from brain to mouth, and just let it be.
I'm starting to think the same. Faneca and his wife do alot for the community here in Pittsburgh and he seems like a genuinely nice guy, but I think he stepped over the line with his recent comments. You can make your point by simply stating that your "surprised" by the decision, but to go as far as Faneca went was simply uncalled for in my opinion.

You would think after making his remarks pertaining to Ben he would have learned how to quiet it down a bit. Granted, not many in Steeler nation knew Ben would turn around and go 15-1, but at times your better off keeping your mouth shut and riding out the wave. Especially when your a high paid athlete on that particular players team and he is your teammate.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:47 AM   #12
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by robzombie813 View Post
Yeah, I'm beginning to think Alan should just start keeping his opinion to himself. It's one thing to have and express your opinion, but, that almost bordered on malicious, I think. Alan Faneca is a great lineman and one of the best left guards in all of football, but, he needs to think first, install a Shut-Up filter from brain to mouth, and just let it be.

In fairness to Alan Faneca, this was yet another example of how the media manipulates quotes. Ed Bouchette gave you this much of Faneca's remarks in today's article:

"When Cowher retired, everybody in the league wanted two of our guys, so you'd think we would want at least one of them,"

and conveniently forgot to follow it up with the very next words out of Alan's mouth:

"But the Rooneys have a process they go through, and it's a good process. Hopefully it will work out for the best."

So really, what he said was, he wanted it to be one of the guys he was comfortable with and was disappointed that the new coach wasn't in-house, but he is clearly demonstrating his faith in the Rooneys, which also leads me to believe that as a professional, he will work hard for his new coach and will be receptive to the inevitable change that is in the wind. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with him candidly expressing his disappointment. It's no secret that the guys wanted Whiz or Grimm to get the gig.

It irks me, though, how the media plants little seeds of discord, and intimates problems where there aren't necessarily problems, just to juice up their stories. And Ed Bouchette is someone whose coverage seems to me to be always fair and accurate regarding the Steelers, so it's a little surprising coming from him.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:56 AM   #13
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Ed Bouchette typed up an article dealing with Faneca's comments on January 23.

Link to article: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07023/756028-66.stm

I knew then what Faneca "fully" stated and I still felt Faneca was out of line and was better off either keeping his mouth shut or choosing his words more wisely (toning it down a bit).

In my opinion, Faneca should have followed Keisel's and Foote's lead.........

Keisel: "I'm surprised, I guess you could say," defensive end Brett Keisel said of the choice. "I said this before, I have the most confidence in the Rooneys to select a coach -- they have, and now we can move forward."

"Change can be good, and, obviously, we're in the middle of change," Keisel said. "Who knows what's going to happen with the offense, the defense. Obviously, we'll have a new special teams coach. It will be different at work, but we're in a situation where we have a new coach and we all need to embrace him and move forward."

Foote: "I'm quite sure Kevin and the Rooneys made a good decision," linebacker Larry Foote said. "All the reports I hear about people who know coach Mike said he's a great guy. I'm excited."

"This gives us a fresh start," Foote said. "Our team is pretty much intact. He's definitely coming into a great situation. He can add his insight and maybe get us back over the top."

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 02-13-2007 at 12:45 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:29 PM   #14
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,399 Times in 3,688 Posts

Faneca said what he thinks - that is a luxury of having made more $$$ than you can possibly spend for the rest of your life and not giving a rat's a** whether your employer does or does not like it.

At this stage of his career, IMHO Faneca has concluded that the Steelers management needs him more than he needs the Steelers managment - for better or worse, I agree with that conclusion.

Faneca probably was asked his opinion poolside (possibly after having a couple cold ones to rehydrate) and gave an honest answer. I think Tomlin knows that and respects it - Faneca said he wanted Grimm, not that Tomlin is a rotten coach.

When Faneca's contract is up for negotiation I do not expect the Steelers to cut him any slack so I have no problem with Faneca not cutting the Rooneys any slack and saying what a lot of vets probably believe. In some ways, speaking hard truths is what being a team leader is about.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:57 PM   #15
Dylan
Starter

Member Number: 3276

Can't wait till traing camp starts
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote