Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-14-2007, 03:17 PM   #51
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Marty Fired!!!!

The intelligence of this move will probably be determined by who will succeed Shotty.

There is a hell of a lot of talent on that team, but there are some areas of team discipline that could be addresed better - something Marty didn't seem to keen on.

No player should catch on interception and then fumble on 4th down and then say he'd 'do the same again' - and the personal fouls in the closing stages of the Patriots game didnt help them at all.

I think San Diego have made the right move.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 02-14-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:00 PM   #52
jethro1925
Water Boy

Member Number: 5032

Can you believe the luck of the new head coach. He is stepping into a playoff caliber team. I think they waited too long to fire him because some good names have been hired
jethro1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:02 PM   #53
Polamalus_Angel
Water Boy

Member Number: 1597

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless Steel View Post
If this is true, I look for SD to slip back into the dulldrums of the football basement rankings once again just like Tampa Bay did after firing the only coach that brought them out of the bottom of the pool, the SB winner this year, Tony Dungy.

Marty was the best thing that happened to SD in a long time.
I agree. I sure hope A.J. believes in karma.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:05 PM   #54
Polamalus_Angel
Water Boy

Member Number: 1597

Quote:
Originally Posted by boLT fan View Post
How are the Chargers stupid? By firing a coach that can win anything after his assistants were fired? If we would have kept him, he would've been fired after this year anyway and then we would have new assistants. That would be 3 differen't coaching staffs in 3 years. Marty will never win anything.

Ya, the Chargers are stupid.
If that's the case why let Marty hang around for an extra 3 weeks? If he would never be capable of winning "anything" they should have fired him after the Patriot loss before both coordinators were hired by other franchises. That sir, is why folks are calling the Charger front office stupid. Besides he wouldn't have been fired anyway this would be the last year of his contract that's more comparable to him resigning.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:44 PM   #55
silver & black
Team Owner

Member Number: 1836

Sorry boLT fan, I know I don't have to say it, but... I think this is hillarious!

No HC, no OC, no DC... and I'm hearing rumors that the GM will be gone after the draft. Didn't Marty get fired because he couldn't get along with the GM? How much sense does it make to fire the GM, now that Marty is gone? Why lose both of them?

This just warms the heart of this Raider fan! I can see the dolts going back to being the door mat of the AFC West after this series of moves!... And they call the Raiders dysfunctional!!! LMAO!!!
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:04 PM   #56
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
Sorry boLT fan, I know I don't have to say it, but... I think this is hillarious!

No HC, no OC, no DC... and I'm hearing rumors that the GM will be gone after the draft. Didn't Marty get fired because he couldn't get along with the GM? How much sense does it make to fire the GM, now that Marty is gone? Why lose both of them?

This just warms the heart of this Raider fan! I can see the dolts going back to being the door mat of the AFC West after this series of moves!... And they call the Raiders dysfunctional!!! LMAO!!!
Rivers will go through some growing pains this season...teams have film on him now, but to say they will struggle.....it won't happen, not as long as LT is playing and he stays healthy...as for the raiders.......they have a lock on last place for some years to come.....
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:31 PM   #57
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,312 Times in 1,831 Posts

i think the timing was a conspearacy move,just out of spite for marty. it was no accident that they waited till the coaching vacancys were filled.
MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:32 PM   #58
boLT fan
Team Captain

Member Number: 901

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post

1) It wasn't really our fault we lost our OC and DC.
2) Firing our HC was a better decision than keeping him, he'll never win shit in his useless life as a coach.
3) I'm pretty sure you got the "fire the GM after the draft" BS from profootballtalk, so i'll just ignore that. There's no way he gets fired, he's done nothing but great things since he got here.
4) I don't see how it's so dysfunctional. We fired our HC because no one has confidence in him without his HC and DC. Big deal.
5) And don't worry, no one will take away the "Most Dysfunctional" trophy away from the Raiders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
i think the timing was a conspearacy move,just out of spite for marty. it was no accident that they waited till the coaching vacancys were filled.
Again, for the 80th time. Marty was fired because he lost his OC and DC. If he stayed, he would get fired next year and it would be another coaching staff. That would be three in four years. It was best to fire him now.

Also, don't know how much credibility this guy has, but wow if it's true.
Quote:
Steve,

Just caught the tail-end of your show this morning when you were talking about Schottenheimer and downloading the playoff stuff from I-Tunes.

I know somebody that had full audio access to that game. What he said, was mind-blowing.

You'll remember the infamous 4th and 11 call that probably doomed SD in the first quarter. This was the exchange that was heard “down-the-line” between Marty and Cam Cameron.

Marty: We're going for it.

Cameron: No f'ing way coach, we're kicking.

Marty: Find a play. We're going for it.

From then on it was a huge argument with cursing left and right. They had to call a time out and when Rivers came over he said, "What's going on, why aren't we kicking the field goal?"

So early in the second quarter, Marty yells into the mic, "Goddamnit, I'm so hyped up someone needs to get over here and calm me down." So the special teams coach comes over to him and talks to him and Marty says, "I was pulling into the parking lot today and I decided we were going to be aggressive. People don't think I can be aggressive but I decided driving in that we were going to be." And the ST coach says, "Coach. You can't let the outside stuff get to you." I think it's interesting, at best, that Schottenheimer was making decisions in the parking lot with regard to strategy.

All told, the guy said it was pretty unbelievable. Anyway, you probably will not be seeing those clips on any upcoming special on the life and times of coach Marty Schottenheimer but I thought you'd enjoy hearing about it.

Sincerely,
“Deep Shield”
http://czabe.com/daily/archives/2007...the_man_m.html

Last edited by boLT fan; 02-16-2007 at 09:38 PM.
boLT fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:51 PM   #59
Stainless Steel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4986

Bolt fan,

If Marty was so bad, why wasn't he fired earlier so either the OC or DC could take his place rather than losing EVERYTHING?

This is why we see this as another goof up on the part of the Bolts management.

Now they have nothing and the best of the coaches have been picked from and are under contract. Well, maybe Parsells is looking for a home in California.

Stainless Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:34 AM   #60
silver & black
Team Owner

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV STEELERS 723 View Post
Rivers will go through some growing pains this season...teams have film on him now, but to say they will struggle.....it won't happen, not as long as LT is playing and he stays healthy...as for the raiders.......they have a lock on last place for some years to come.....
You may be right about the Raiders, you may not... time will tell.

I never meant to suggest that the Chargers will be in the basement this coming year, they are too good a team for that. It was just a little friendly barb directed at boLTfan.

I'm sure the Raiders will finish last in the division again this year, with what is almost an entirely new coaching staff and offensive direction. If we can win 7 games I will be thrilled, but thats probably a streach right now too. On the other hand, it is the NFL, and strange things happen!

Good luck to everyone here on the upcoming season, and may your off seasons be fruitfull!
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote