Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-18-2007, 08:16 AM   #1
SteelermanBirth2Death
Water Boy

Member Number: 5015
Default BIG Recievers

What do yall think of Walter Young? At 6'4 he would make a big target. We could use someone to replace Plaxico.
SteelermanBirth2Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
sheba

Member Number:
Default Re: BIG Recievers

wat plaxico has been gone we won the superbowl with out him we do not need to replace him if we did we would have a long time ago
Old 02-18-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

If Tomlin decided that a Big Reciever was a must...at #15 we could get Sidney Rice out of South Carolina...Height: 6-4 Weight: 202 lbs .. with 4.48 forty
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:57 AM   #4
siss
Team Captain

Member Number: 1611

Ben likes big recivers. I say give him one!

He's ready, Steelers fans. His ordeal over, his return will be complete come Saturday in Arizona, when football again becomes the focus and a career briefly interrupted resumes.
~SI aticle 2006~
siss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:07 AM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

I feel the Steelers should always keep an eye out for a WR over 6'2-6'3. Just because we won a Super Bowl minus Plaxico doesn't mean we don't "need" or should not "want" a tall/deep threat WR.

As for Walter Young, I like his build but I'm not sure how confident the Steelers are in his abilities. He's been around for some time now and is not exactly climbing the ladder on the depth chart. I always thought Young looked good in camp/pre-season. He's a tall, stretch the field type of guy...but Washington passed him up on the depth chart. Even Washington had a tendancy of dropping passes (in the endzone nonetheless) last season.

IMO, either through FA or the draft this team needs to pick up a WR. I really don't have all that much confidence in Cedrick Wilson or Washington. In the beginning of this season I thought our WR core would have performed better. I was dead wrong. Minus Holmes I wasn't impressed.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:17 AM   #6
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

Walter Young, Great hands but inconsistent in route running has kept him sideline the past 2 years and in NFLE. Young also showed great improvement last year in his route running then in the previous year in NFLE. Young also seen some time do to injuries to Ward on the active roaster this last season for a few games. Young did not play much but he did get in a 17 yard catch.

And why people keep talking about Plexidrop. You want to replace plex, I ask why, plex has terrible work ethics, never runs all his routes during games, none existent for us in the play offs. Tired of hearing plexidrops name. You wonder why the FO did not offer him a contract was because plexidrop was not worth anything but a headache in the locker room and never works out with the QB in the off season. Ask Eli were plex is when he wants to work out, he is in florida again working out alone, but in all he is club hoping not caring about the team but only caring about the dollar he gets paid. Plex was a bad draft pick.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #7
Blitzburgh
Banned

Member Number: 2863

We do need at least one BIG WR in our portfolio of weapons .... If we don't go out and get a Drew Bennett ..... I wouldn't mind seeing us try for Jarrett in the draft.

Jarrett is a game changer. Not the fastest in the bunch, but definately uses his size and physical ability to make big plays.
Blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:22 AM   #8
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156
Cool Re: BIG Recievers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
I feel the Steelers should always keep an eye out for a WR over 6'2-6'3. Just because we won a Super Bowl minus Plaxico doesn't mean we don't "need" or should not "want" a tall/deep threat WR.

As for Walter Young, I like his build but I'm not sure how confident the Steelers are in his abilities. He's been around for some time now and is not exactly climbing the ladder on the depth chart. I always thought Young looked good in camp/pre-season. He's a tall, stretch the field type of guy...but Washington passed him up on the depth chart. Even Washington had a tendancy of dropping passes (in the endzone nonetheless) last season.

IMO, either through FA or the draft this team needs to pick up a WR. I really don't have all that much confidence in Cedrick Wilson or Washington. In the beginning of this season I thought our WR core would have performed better. I was dead wrong. Minus Holmes I wasn't impressed.
I agree with everything except the Nate Washington portion. The kid was on a learning curve. It's hard to get out of your head the fact that someone is about to nail you that, more than likely, outweighs you by 40 "+" pounds. He did well for a newbie to regular rough NFL play.

I also REALLY like LLT's comment: "If Tomlin decided that a Big Reciever was a must...at #15 we could get Sidney Rice out of South Carolina...Height: 6-4 Weight: 202 lbs .. with 4.48 forty" - the kid is FAST, TALL, and has serious potential.

Siss nailed it as well; Ben DOES like big receivers.....let's up the comfort factor for him as well.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." -Ambrose Redmoon.
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:26 AM   #9
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

The pros about Walter Young are that he has size, and ok ball control(dropping passes.) But what concerns me, is his lack of experience.

~Polamalufan43
Old 02-18-2007, 10:27 AM   #10
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelShooter View Post
The kid was on a learning curve. It's hard to get out of your head the fact that someone is about to nail you that, more than likely, outweighs you by 40 "+" pounds. He did well for a newbie to regular rough NFL play.
Hopefully he "learned" because I recall him dropping some easy balls. By no means am I completely giving up on Washington, but I would like to see somebody give the kid some legitimate competition and not just some "warm body" to throw in camp.

Here's to hoping Washington steps it up.