Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-16-2007, 08:26 PM   #11
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,554 Times in 3,980 Posts
Default Re: Waltrip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Ahh, I see.

Follow up question. Are these racers (Waltrip and Gordon) aware of what what's going on with the crew chiefs? In other words, are they in on it or do the crew chiefs go behind their backs and try to pull it off?
i thought you might like to see a little perspective on this as opposed to how nfl teams (particularly the bungles) handle such situations. remember how albert haynesworth was applauded for being "contrite"?

heres some words you will NEVER hear mike brown say in regards of his organization and employees:

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/head...backing/1.html

Quote:
A couple hours after being informed of NASCAR's decision, Waltrip issued a statement that disassociated himself and his organization, not from personal responsibility, but from any knowledge of the act.

"This is not the action of an organization, a manufacturer or a sponsor -- this was an independent act done without consent or authorization from me or any of my executive management team," Waltrip said in the statement. "As an owner, I realize I am ultimately held responsible for the actions of my employees, therefore I accept the penalties issued [Wednesday] by NASCAR."

Aust said any appeals of the penalties or decisions to terminate employees were Michael Waltrip Racing's responsibility. Thursday morning, Waltrip said he would wait for the investigation to play out before he made that decision.

"In the past 12 months, Michael Waltrip Racing has hired more than 150 people and we currently employ more than 200," Waltrip said. "Although we have grown at an accelerated pace, it has been our mission to hire people with high moral value and character to properly represent our sponsors and our ownership.

"During preparations for the 2007 season and especially the 2007 Daytona 500, I specifically requested that our competition teams not disrespect NASCAR, our competitors or our sponsors by blatantly circumventing the rules.

"I respect NASCAR's rules, its people and the sport's integrity, which is why I am so sad and embarrassed. I am dedicated to get to the bottom of this because I will not let the independent act of an individual or individuals tarnish the incredible accomplishment my organization has made to be where we are today."

Waltrip in a Thursday morning news conference said he had considered withdrawing his No. 55 Camry from the day's Gatorade Duel qualifying race for the Daytona 500, but declined. Waltrip later raced his way into his 21st consecutive 500 by finishing ninth in his race, the first go-or-go-home driver.

He also fields Nextel Cup Camrys for Dale Jarrett, who is a guaranteed starter thanks to his past champion status, and rookie David Reutimann; a Camry in the Busch Series for Reutimann; and a Toyota Tundra in the Craftsman Truck Series for Tyler Walker.

Waltrip was extremely contrite in his morning briefing and expressed the same concern in his statement Wednesday night.

"I want to apologize to the other owners," Waltrip said, "who know how hard I've worked to get here in such a short period of time, NASCAR, Toyota, NAPA, all my sponsors, the drivers and especially the fans."
you mightve seen the clip on sportscenter where he felt especially bad when his 9 year old girl asked why daddy got in trouble for cheating.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:00 AM   #12
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Very interesting read Tony. Thanks. Have another one for you....

In football, a player get's caught using steroids, he's suspended. Dirty hit (stomping on the head), he's suspended.

Is there ever a time when a racer actually receives a suspension? Putting certain fuel in the tank or an event that is deemed improper by NASCAR?
Old 02-21-2007, 07:03 PM   #13
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Very interesting read Tony. Thanks. Have another one for you....

In football, a player get's caught using steroids, he's suspended. Dirty hit (stomping on the head), he's suspended.

Is there ever a time when a racer actually receives a suspension? Putting certain fuel in the tank or an event that is deemed improper by NASCAR?
several drivers have gotten dwi's and have been put on "probation". it rarely ever happens again. if its a team infraction (such as waltrips deal) the team is penalized, however if it is an individual driver infraction, that driver is definitely penalized as an individual.

several years ago a young up n comer, kevin grubb, was busted smoking pot, nascar actually has drug testing but you have to be narced on or tipped off before they will actually test you. he was positive and suspended the rest of the year. either him or youngster shayne hmeil were busted twice. they will never get a ride in the big leagues again. by that i mean the busch series or even craftsman truck series (nascars version of AAA or AAAA minor leagues) with just 43 teams in the big leagues every week, and as many talented drivers there are, there is no leash, and the collar is VERY tight.

kevin harvick (the winner of the 500) was suspended for one race about 2-3 years ago for going after greg biffle after a race and grabbing him by the collar of his firesuit with both fists and causing quite a scuffle amongst opposing teams. it was great stuff. he ran at biffles car, jumped on it, ran over it and did a wwe move leaping out at biffle.

unfortunately nascar now frowns upon that kind of stuff.

dale jr. was fined 10,000 bucks and docked 25 points for saying "shit" on national tv. NASCAR is very image conscious and dont put up with very much rif raf at all. they take great pride in having the "atheletes" that are best served to be a role model and continue that "family sport" image.

i may have mentionned this but jim rome, who finally "gets it" (unlike soccer) has been pimping this- "you will not find a bad guy in nascar". a main reason its so popular. the drivers are really liked by the fans, and the drivers embrace the fans. even though they make millions, they are a very humble bunch who trully respect those who paved the way to make their riches and lifestyle possible.

unfortunately, like all other sports, this will probably change in 15-20 years.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:08 PM   #14
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I've met most of the drivers...the only two (at the time) who were not really cool were JG and Jr., and they were about to be mobbed.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:25 PM   #15
tony hipchest

only "sport" where the average fan can get a pit pass and be in the "locker room" (garage) 20 minutes before the start of a race. and actually this probably is much cheaper than a box seat or ground level seat on the 50 yd line at a football game.

drivers actually sit at their merchandise trailers to sign merchandise. my old step dad easilly got me rusty wallaces autograph at phoenix last year on a hat. sure you have to wait in line but if youre a brian vickers fan there were only about 9 people at his trailer

(this was shortly after he wrecked JJ at talledega)

jr. gordon, and JJ easilly had the most people waiting in line, and all 3 quickly ran out of all merchandise...

...hotcakes
Old 02-27-2007, 10:23 AM   #16
steel4me88
Water Boy

Member Number: 3008

[QUOTE=tony hipchest;220730]kevin harvick (the winner of the 500) was suspended for one race about 2-3 years ago for going after greg biffle after a race and grabbing him by the collar of his firesuit with both fists and causing quite a scuffle amongst opposing teams. it was great stuff. he ran at biffles car, jumped on it, ran over it and did a wwe move leaping out at biffle.
QUOTE]

Wow and I missed that What a bummer! I became a Biffle fan about 3 years ago. I hope he has better luck this year. I am going to Vegas in 8 long days! Went last year and got Bif, Jack Roush and Doug's Autographs it was great to get them at my first race. This year Matt K is signing at the Nascar Cafe but we probably wont see him as that is the day weare leaving. I hope the weather is nice this year last year it snowed on us!! should be a great race though with the new track and all.
steel4me88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:09 AM   #17
tony hipchest

the height of irony is when nascar drivers get busted for driving violations. now if this were a bengal i'd have to assume he was drunk and fled the scene. a NASCAR driver gets a pass, even though a "good ol boy" (wink and a nod) cover up is much more likely.

Quote:
M. Waltrip charged with reckless driving after rolling SUV
April 10, 2007
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

SHERRILL'S FORD, N.C. -- Michael Waltrip has been charged with reckless driving and failing to report an accident after hitting a telephone pole and rolling his car about a mile from his home over the weekend.

Waltrip, who suffered scratches to his arms, hands and face and cuts on his finger, said he fell asleep at the wheel right before he wrecked his Toyota Land Cruiser early Saturday morning. He left the scene of the accident and walked the rest of the way home.

Police found him at his house about six hours after finding the car at the accident scene.

"I am really embarrassed about the accident, but I feel fortunate that I wasn't hurt," the two-time Daytona 500 winner said Tuesday.

"For 25 years I have had a great driving record. I consider myself to be a courteous and safe driver on public roads. I never expected to fall a sleep behind the wheel of a car."

Police said the accident happened before 2 a.m. when Waltrip lost control of his SUV while driving around a curve and overcorrected. His car rolled and hit a utility pole, said Sgt. Brian Sharpe of the State Highway Patrol in Catawba County.

The vehicle, which was on its side, was abandoned and there was blood in it when police arrived. Witnesses reported seeing the driver crawl from the car and leave.

"He left the scene," Sharpe said. "We got the plate number, realized it was him and tried to locate him."

An attempt to locate him that morning was unsuccessful, but police reached him the next day. Waltrip was not arrested.

It's the latest troubles for Waltrip, who is having a horrendous first season as a car owner.

He was caught cheating during Daytona 500 preparations when NASCAR found a fuel additive in his engine, and was docked a record 100 driver points. His crew chief was fined a record $100,000 and suspended indefinitely, as was his competition director.

Meanwhile, he has failed to qualify for the five races since the 500.

Dale Jarrett, who drives one of Waltrip's cars, has needed a provisional to make five of the six races this year and is currently 37th in the points. David Reutimann, his other driver, has failed to make two races and is 43rd in points.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:10 AM   #18
steel4me88
Water Boy

Member Number: 3008

Yeah I feel kind of bad for him. What bad luck! He has got to be pretty depressed about this season in general.
steel4me88 is offline   Reply With Quote