Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-25-2005, 02:03 AM   #21
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: Fair is Fair..

Many people are fans of teams either because they grew up in a family who cheers for that team, or maybe they moved from that city to their current residence, or maybe they were looking for a team to cheer for and found that particular team based on their history, tradition, staff/players, any number of reasons.

Saying that just because you dont live there doesnt me you cant be a fan is just ludicrous thinking. Where you live does not dictate who you should root for. If that was the case, then why in the hell is the NFL sunday ticket so popular..why, 1 reason!!! Fans who cant see their team play every week because of where they live. Obviously the VAST MAJORITY of sports fans around the world, sports marketing, the media in general, and I'd venture a guess that just about any other person would highly disagree w/ your way of thinking on this topic.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 08:50 AM   #22
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Bottom Line: We Steeler Fans KNOW, that we are the best, most loyal, most knowledgable fans in the World. LOL

At least we feel we are!
Old 09-25-2005, 09:17 AM   #23
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

And WE aren't alone in our thinking..many people in the media feel Steeler fans are among the best fans in the world
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 12:38 AM   #24
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

My point, and hopefully my Sunday posting of who shows up at "my house" will illustrate I'd rather be from New Mexico, show up week one rooting for Pittsburgh the rest of the way win or lose, than just show up week 15, in my fresh bought jersey of playoff team #1 and show my team spirit then. NOTE: If you are from Cleveland you actually have until week 4 to give up hope in your team and pick another. So far PHI, PIT, NYJ, and GB will have no lack of fan support in any season no matter what the records show.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:11 AM   #25
dropKickMurphy
Water Boy

Member Number: 443

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcitychef
I just wanted to give the update on fan participation seeing how I work in one of the largest most diverse sports locale right now.
...ORLANDO?!?!?!

You don't even know what a real sports town looks like.

Look, I would never question the loyalty of the Steelers fan base. You guys are right up there with Packers fans.

But the Patriots fan base is far past the point of being johnny-come-latley-bandwagon fans. It's been over 12 years since every game has been sold out....all of them to season ticket holders. There's 60,000 people on a paid waiting list; most of them have been on that list for 12 years. And Pats fans DO show up at away games. You're not going to see many at places like Heinze Field or the Meadowlands, for the simple reason that there are no tickets available. Just as there were virtually no Steeler fans at Gillette the last time the Steelers played there. I have no question that if 50,000 tickets were made available to Pats fans at Heinze Field (or to Steeler fans at Gillette) , they would be snatched up in minutes.

The Miami game always has a lot of Pats fans. The Buffalo game does as well, although their season ticket base seems to be getting stronger. Last year, we had a game at Arizona in which we easily outnumbered the home team. I remember a game at Carolina a few years ago (when their fan base was down) that ended up being a virtual home game for the Pats.

The point is, if the tickets to a Pats game...anywhere... are on the open market, we will be there. Just like you. The difference is, you have been doing this for over 30 years.

Remember, too, that at least 90% of the Pats fans are also Sox fans. The Sox have a consecutive sellout streak going back to the 2003 season. Also, over the past couple of seasons, there has been no fan base in pro sports that comes close to the number of Sox fans in opponent's parks. Since it's impossible to get Fenway tickets, thousands of Sox fans book trips to places where tickets are available. Every game at Baltimore, Tampa Bay, Toronto, and many other cities has had more Sox fans than home fans. When you consider the number of games (compared to football), the 10 - 15 thousand Sox fans at each road game add up to staggering numbers.

You show me a city that sells out all of its MLB games and NFL games for years; a city that strongly supports its NHL and NBA teams (both of which have had 10+ season stretches of consecutive sellouts); a city in which multiple college hockey teams draw over 7,000 to every game; a city that has over a million spectators turn out every year to watch a bunch of guys (whose names they can't even pronounce) run down the street...then I'll show you a real sports town.
dropKickMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 12:19 PM   #26
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

Is case you came late to the topic of other threads...this is just info for the threads of sports teams and national following as opposed to die hard local following, some teams have both, some are more entrenched in their markets. No offense either way, People were just commenting on who is "visible" every week in and out at sports places. I give my info. No I wouldn't expect large amounts of Pats fans in Orlando, cause I have always said they are market local. I would expect more than what I have seen which leads me to believe some Cleveland fans or others jump ship to the Super bowl favorite late. Thats all... A real sports town actually looks like Chicago, New York, Boston, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Lincoln, NE, Morgantown WV, Knoxville TN, shall I go on....

*By the way we serve roughly 2,500 on Sunday game days and we show all games on over 100 tvs so we are not a "homer" sports bar. Thought that would give us a true enough random sample.*