Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-24-2007, 08:35 AM   #1
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Pirates' Nady being tested for chronic condition

http://post-gazette.com/pg/07055/764830-100.stm

Pirates' Nady being tested for chronic condition

Saturday, February 24, 2007
By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

BRADENTON, Fla. - Outfielder Xavier Nady, hospitalized earlier in the week for intestinal inflammation, will have tests Monday to determine if he could have a chronic condition.

He said today that, upon doctors' request for information about his family's background, it was determined that one of his cousins has Crohn's disease, a lifelong condition that can cause excruciating pain in the digestive area and related weight loss.

"The doctors came in and asked if anyone in the family had it, and we said, 'No, we don't think so,' " Nady said. "My mom called the day I got released and said we just found out one of my cousins had it. So ... we will see."

Professional athletes can compete with Crohn's, but it requires significant adjustments in lifestyle and eating habits.

Nady confirmed that the doctors' initial diagnosis was -- and remains, for the time being -- a viral infection in the intestine, which would be the best-case scenario.

"I hope it stays that way," he said.

Nady said the stomach pain began Sunday night and that he kept it to himself for a day before telling the Pirates' medical staff about it Tuesday. He checked in to Manatee Memorial Hospital that night and checked out Thursday.

The symptoms, Nady said, have improved.

"It's getting better. I'm on a limited diet, but I'm able to eat without having stomach pains. It just goes through phases where it hits me every once in a while like a ton of bricks, and I hunch over. It's no fun."

Nady said he did not feel the pain before Sunday, but added that it was similar to what he experienced in the five days leading up to an emergency appendectomy May 30, 2006. It is not known if that ailment and this one are related.

"I know I have the inflamed intestine, but they have to determine what else is going on," Nady said.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:24 PM   #2
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Default Re: Pirates' Nady being tested for chronic condition

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_494843.html

Pirates' Nady to be tested for Crohn's disease

By Rob Biertempfel
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, February 24, 2007

BRADENTON, Fla. - Xavier Nady was back in the Pirates' clubhouse Saturday morning, but still does not know the cause of the intestinal inflammation that forced him to begin spring training with a three-day hospital stay.

Nady went through very brief, limited workouts. He will under go more medical tests Monday to try to determine whether he has a chronic condition.

The Pirates have identified Nady's illness only as intestinal inflammation. However, that condition can include several diseases, such as Crohn's disease.

Crohn's disease affects the deepest layers of the digestive tract, causing ulcers, usually in the small and large intestines.

The disease is a chronic condition that may flare up off and on during a person's life. It can be controlled with medications, but there is no known cure.

The cause Crohn's disease is not known, but researchers believe genetic and perhaps also environmental factors play a role.

Thursday, Nady discovered one of his cousins suffers from Crohn's.

"Originally, I didn't know," Nady said. "My mom called the day I got released (from the hospital) and said, 'We just found out your cousin has it.' So, we will see."

Monday night, the day before position players reported to camp, Nady began getting abdominal pains, fever and other flu-like symptoms. His condition worsened the next day, and he was admitted to Manatee Memorial Hospital.

"It was a similar pain to what I had last year," said Nady, who had an emergency appendectomy last May. "I knew something wasn't right."

Nady had a battery of tests, including a CT scan. He was released from the hospital Thursday, and is taking an antibiotic.

"I can only really eat soft foods," Nady said. "I'm having a hard time. I've eaten more soup this week than I have in the past year. It's getting better, but every once in a while, it just hits me again and I have to hunch over."

Old 02-28-2007, 03:48 PM   #3
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Default Re: Pirates' Nady being tested for chronic condition

http://post-gazette.com/pg/07058/765369-63.stm

Pirates' Nady flown to Pittsburgh for more tests

Tuesday, February 27, 2007
By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

BRADENTON, Fla. -- Pirates outfielder Xavier Nady flew to Pittsburgh this afternoon for more tests on his inflamed intestine.

The tests taken yesterday at Manatee Memorial Hospital produced "nothing conclusive," general manager Dave Littlefield said, so the team's medical staff decided to send him to Allegheny General Hospital.

"It hasn't been determined exactly what kind of testing will be done," Littlefield said. "But, since they haven't gotten a tell-tale answer as to why he's had these stomach pains, they'll do whatever they need to do to find out what the answer is."

Littlefield did not say if any chronic conditions -- such as Crohn's disease -- had been ruled out, but he sounded generally optimistic about Nady's health.

"The good news is that he's feeling a lot better," Littlefield said. "This isn't something that's bothered him on a frequent basis and, frankly, progress is being made as far as how he feels. So, it's not something that I'm overly concerned about."

Nady, who also sounded optimistic Monday when he said, "Everything's going to be fine," had a light workout early in the morning at McKechnie Field before leaving.

Also today, the Pirates saw their first game action of the spring Tuesday with an intrasquad scrimmage at Pirate City, and Indianapolis manager Trent Jewett's team beat Altoona manager Tim Leiper's team, 8-2.

Brad Eldred hit a two-run home run in his first at-bat off Sean Burnett, a blast off the roof of the clubhouse beyond left-center field. Nate McLouth hit a three-run home run off Shane Youman. Luis Matos made two fine defensive plays in the outfield, including throwing out Andrew McCutchen at the plate when McCutchen tried to score from second on a single.

Neil Walker made no errors in his first game at third base since converting from catcher.

Burnett started but failed to make it through an inning, running up 28 pitches and giving up four consecutive hits before the half-inning was called off.

Bryan Bullington pitched in a competitive game for the first time since September 2005 and did not give up a run or a hit. He walked one of his four batters.