Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-27-2005, 11:57 PM   #1
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Randle El learns from his mistake

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_378107.html

A day later, one play still stood out from the Steelers' 23-20 loss to the New England Patriots.

It was the one where Steelers coach Bill Cowher had to be yelling, "El, No!"

Steelers receiver Antwaan Randle El had just made a 49-yard run-and-catch with the Steelers holding a 10-7 lead in the second quarter.

Instead of going to the ground after a defender wrapped him up, Randle El turned his body toward oncoming fellow receiver Hines Ward and pitched the ball backward, hoping Ward would take it the final 15 yards for a touchdown.

But instead of making something out of nothing, Randle El made nothing out of something.

Ward, in blocking mode, was surprised by the pitch and mishandled it. The Patriots' Eugene Wilson fell on it at the 11. And instead of staring at perhaps a 17-7 deficit, the Patriots had a sudden surge of momentum.

Ward took some blame for the play, but you got the sense he would never have tried it himself.

"He didn't say, 'Hines, I'm about to pitch it,' " Ward said. "He saw me and I looked at him. I thought he was going to get out of (the tackler's grip) and I was going to try to block. The ball hit me in the hands, so I needed to catch it, I guess. I take responsibility for that."

Randle El's turnover cost the Steelers, at the minimum, a potential field goal. It might have cost them a chance to extend their 16-game regular-season winning streak.

"He was trying to make a play," Ward said of Randle El. "If he had fallen down on the ground, we're in the red zone. But we tried to press too much and make too many things happen. We end up fumbling the ball and you can't do that."

The Steelers went scoreless the remainder of the first half.

"You only get a number of opportunities to make big plays, and that was a big play," Ward said.

Randle El faced the scrutiny surrounding his play in the post-mortem.

"I take the blame for that," Randle El said. "It was a poor decision by me. I should have taken the gain and been done with it. I think the pitch was too hard for Hines to handle. I should have just held onto the ball."

Safety Mike Logan said Randle El is a playmaker and that playmakers can be unconventional at times. Had the play worked, Randle El would have been a hero.

That said, the turnover was part of a forgetful day for Randle El, who dropped one pass and failed to out-battle Patriots defensive backs for a few others. Other than the 49-yard grab, Randle El had only one catch for seven yards. He also averaged only 6.7 yards on three punt returns.

"In hindsight, obviously you wouldn't want to do that in a game like this," coach Bill Cowher said. "Against this caliber of a football team, you cannot ruin opportunities like that. He understands that. I just told him to let it go, learn from it, and let's move on. Don't dwell on it."

The Steelers have the weekend not to dwell on it. They're off before playing at San Diego on a Monday night, Oct. 10.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:50 AM   #2
CowherLover
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 122
Default Re: Randle El learns from his mistake

I know that one play shouldn't determine if a game is won or lost, but I sat on my couch in total disbelief when he did it! Pretty much thinking, like everyone else, that could be the game breaker. You cannot give up a redzone position like that. Amazing!
CowherLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:10 AM   #3
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

The important thing is that he won't do it again...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:15 AM   #4
Steel - X
Team Captain

Member Number: 583

I thought the same thing sitting on my couch if it was any other team in the NFL I wouldnt have worried about it so much but when it was against the champs you just can not get away with making mistakes that are not caused by the other team. It may not have looked like it cost the game but in the long run it did. We may have scored but we would have ate up more clock also. All in all a very bad play.

My Fantasy Football Website......NO LIMIT SPORTS

Steel - X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 12:31 PM   #5
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Me and my Grandpa thought the same thing.Why did he do that?He cost us at least a field goal,and with how we were playing right then...probally a touchdown.

And seriously,if he didn't do that...then we would have won the game with a TD or it would have gone into OT with a FG.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:49 PM   #6
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

El isnt going to b doing that again anytime soon, and i bet you he will have a big play against the chargers and everyone could stop talking about this...
BIGBENFASTWILLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:47 PM   #7
Black-n-Gold
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 602

There's no way to determine if the play lost the game or not. It was a risk, unfortunitely it didnt work out for us. Can't wait until the SD game on Monday night..
Old 09-28-2005, 06:44 PM   #8
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

well in away you can say that play lost us the game, we lost by 3 points, they were in the redzone when he fumbled the ball, the way ben was throwing we could've got the touchdown from there or the way reed is kicking we would've got the three points so in a way you can say that fumble cost us the game, but it don't matter anymore it's over i'm over it now i just hope they are focused on trying to shut down l.t. and gates
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:28 PM   #9
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

If anything the field goal that was whiped out because of a penalty is what cost us the game.
that was 3pts on the board...EL never got in the end zone so there was no points taken away
BIGBENFASTWILLIE is offline   Reply With Quote