Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default LLT's Steelers draft

I will only change this about 3,000 times before the draft so bear with me

1) Quinton Moses OLB 6'4 250 4.6....I was sold on him...then I wasnt...but after seeing that the only reason his numbers dropped from an incredible JR year...was because teams changed their whole schemes to account for him....I am sold again and think he will be a BEAST as an outside LB

2) Marcus McCauley CB 6'0 201 4.36...Most gifted of the CB in this draft...lost his confidence last year because of strict over-demanding coaching (and not in a good way)..but with the right encouraging secondary coach..he will be a great player...good character...hard worker

3) Brandon Siler ILB 6'1 240 4.6 Disciplined 3 year starter...great instincts...leader abilities and very tough and emotional...chiseled...can pursue and destroy

4) James Martin OT 6'7 306 5.29 Mauler who should start on the right side then eventually could become a very good left tackle...has a mean streak...Very smart...good character

5) Scott Stevenson C/OG 6'3 307 5.2...Quick enough to play in zone-blocking scheme...but strong enough for the Steelers Man-blocking scheme...Very smart player..will compete on every play...versatile..can play center and guard

6) Adam Podlesh P...5'11 205 4.49...two step punter ...never had a punt blocked in 4 years...41% of punts landed inside the 20 yard line.

7) Nate Ilaola RB 5'9 245 4.77... between the tackles fire plug ...tough ball-control runner. Great second effort and willing to block...Will unload on tacklers...averaged 7.6 yards a carry over last two years
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 39,845
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 2,140
Thanked 9,487 Times in 3,951 Posts
Default Re: LLT's Steelers draft

very good. a few questions.

would you prefer moses if one of the top 3 DE's fell to us? unlikely since arizona should take g. adams and washington and atlanta could use one too. very possible denver trades up to draft one.

podlesh- rank him against the punter flavor of the week sepulveda. you think podlesh is better, worse, the same? or do you just think a 5th or possible 4th is too high to spend?

how do you think ilaola compares with humes from last year? a much better chance of making the team? i'd say yes since we have 2 open rb spots (haynes, duce) whereas last year we had 1 (bettis).
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:09 PM   #3
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter
 
GBMelBlount's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Western PA
Posts: 6,203
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5140
Thanks: 1,138
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Re: LLT's Steelers draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
I will only change this about 3,000 times before the draft so bear with me

1) Quinton Moses OLB 6'4 250 4.6....I was sold on him...then I wasnt...but after seeing that the only reason his numbers dropped from an incredible JR year...was because teams changed their whole schemes to account for him....I am sold again and think he will be a BEAST as an outside LB

2) Marcus McCauley CB 6'0 201 4.36...Most gifted of the CB in this draft...lost his confidence last year because of strict over-demanding coaching (and not in a good way)..but with the right encouraging secondary coach..he will be a great player...good character...hard worker

3) Brandon Siler ILB 6'1 240 4.6 Disciplined 3 year starter...great instincts...leader abilities and very tough and emotional...chiseled...can pursue and destroy

4) James Martin OT 6'7 306 5.29 Mauler who should start on the right side then eventually could become a very good left tackle...has a mean streak...Very smart...good character

5) Scott Stevenson C/OG 6'3 307 5.2...Quick enough to play in zone-blocking scheme...but strong enough for the Steelers Man-blocking scheme...Very smart player..will compete on every play...versatile..can play center and guard

6) Adam Podlesh P...5'11 205 4.49...two step punter ...never had a punt blocked in 4 years...41% of punts landed inside the 20 yard line.

7) Nate Ilaola RB 5'9 245 4.77... between the tackles fire plug ...tough ball-control runner. Great second effort and willing to block...Will unload on tacklers...averaged 7.6 yards a carry over last two years
LLT, agreed we have alot of needs on Defense. What do you think our chances are of picking up some offensive lineman later and having much of an impact now. From what I am hearing, it seems like alot of people fighting for start on O-line are ave/marginal. what say you?
GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: LLT's Steelers draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
very good. a few questions.

would you prefer moses if one of the top 3 DE's fell to us? unlikely since arizona should take g. adams and washington and atlanta could use one too. very possible denver trades up to draft one.

podlesh- rank him against the punter flavor of the week sepulveda. you think podlesh is better, worse, the same? or do you just think a 5th or possible 4th is too high to spend?

how do you think ilaola compares with humes from last year? a much better chance of making the team? i'd say yes since we have 2 open rb spots (haynes, duce) whereas last year we had 1 (bettis).
If we went DE it would be for backup...Keisel led the team with 23 QB pressures and Smith was second with 21...Defensive Line is our strongest position with those two and our pro-bowl NT...all we need is depth....LB however is our thinnest (and oldest) postition after losing Porter, and even though Harrison will be a more than suitable replacement... we need a DE/OLB tweener or straight OLB for youth and as future starter...
Moses isnt a sexy pick right now...but I have been following PFW's ratings and their reviews..(PFW is the only organization outside the NFL with ...real...actual...football scouts) ...and from what I see on his highlights from last season they are right on the money...teams HAD to double team him or go to the opposite side...he is THAT much of a player.
Of course if we go Carriker in the first round..that should be a pretty good indication that there will eventually be a move to 4-3...and then you have to remix the whole draft concept.

Podlesh doesnt have the leg strength of Sepulveda, but is better at placement and has the efficient two step kick that helps him not get punts blocked...so its a matter of what you are looking for....Sepulveda will get you the long punts....Podlesh will give you the placement and can handle pressure like a pro.

Ilaola has better hands than Humes (who lost his spot because of fumbling)..and is a better reciever....he will slide because of being rather one diminsional...but isnt that what we are looking for?...a back that can carry 100 times a year between the tackles and catch the ball when needed.
I actually like Brian Leonard as a powerback/fullback player also...and as a surprise pick...I think that Michael Bush may slide to the 3rd/4th round even though most sites have him going in the first and some to the second.

Last edited by lamberts-lost-tooth; 03-17-2007 at 07:36 AM.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:08 AM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: LLT's Steelers draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
LLT, agreed we have alot of needs on Defense. What do you think our chances are of picking up some offensive lineman later and having much of an impact now. From what I am hearing, it seems like alot of people fighting for start on O-line are ave/marginal. what say you?
OT grades out as B+...with two studs in the first (Thomas & Brown) and some VERY good talent in later rounds....I like Staley in the second...Free in the third...Marten in the 4th...Julius Wilson in the 5th and Allen Barbre in the 6th

OG grades out as an A...with Sears, Grubbs, and Blalock all possibly going early...I dont see value in the second or third unless one of those three slide..in the 4th I like Mansfield Wrotto.. in the 5th I like Dan Santucci for his ability to play center & guard...and in the 6th round I like Robert Turner because of his toughness, drive and work ethic.

Center is not so good...Ryan Kalil is the only player that may go in the first...He and so many others are better served as zone-blocking centers, and dont fit our system very well...Doug Datish may be okay in the 5th...Scott Stephenson is value in the sixth because of versatility at C/G (though he has had surgery on both shoulders)...the rest all seem like they dont fit the system or are backup centers. (which we have enough of!!)

Last edited by lamberts-lost-tooth; 03-18-2007 at 04:11 AM.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts