Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-01-2007, 07:40 PM   #11
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572
Default Re: How many games will the Pirates win this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
I say 85-90 and a Wild Card unless the division was as bad as it was last year, Division Champs.
I like the positive attitude too SCM.....in fact I'm gonna bet $5 the Bucs beat Houstan in the opener....

I like the changes the Bucs made this season...especially the LaRoche pick -up...

I think we will be in it to the end...

I hope we play to our potential....

Go BUCS !!!!!

Last edited by NV STEELERS 723; 04-01-2007 at 09:25 PM.
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:43 PM   #12
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

If we win tomorrow and the Brewers lose we will be tied for the divison lead with either the Cubs or Reds

Yaay!

Never to early to get the division lead
Old 04-02-2007, 09:14 PM   #13
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Even though we won tonight....we won't win too many if LaRoche strikes out 4 times a game!
Old 04-03-2007, 03:36 AM   #14
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
You really have to be an eternal optimist to predict anything other than another sub-.500 season. What exactly have the Pirates done to give ANYONE that kind of optimism? OK yeah, they brought in LaRoche. A blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. But...

-- They still have no reliable leadoff hitter. Chris Duffy will be out of the league in a year...again. I would seriously consider giving Andrew McCutcheon a real shot at the CF and leadoff job. What have they got to lose? The kid's clearly got talent out the wazoo.

-- 3/5 of their starting rotation is average AT BEST. Ian Snell and Zach Duke will be good. After that, feh. Maholm and Gorzelanny STILL haven't figured out how to get out of the first inning without giving up runs. Chacon is a stiff. Armas is only slightly better than Chacon. Not much confidence there.

-- Their bench is woefully weak. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to trade Rob Mackowiak after all, was it? I'd rather have him than Jose "K" Hernandez. Nate McLouth, Humberto Cota and Ryan Doumit strike fear into no one. Jose Bautista is probably the best of the bunch. They really could have benefited from another LH stick to platoon with Nady in right, but no...Littlefield has to make sure the NutJobs keep as much money as possible rather than improve the team, so forget that.

-- They have no true, reliable closer. With the way Salomon Torres is getting lit up this spring, there should be a major cause for concern. Somehow I think Dan Kolb will end up being the closer by season's end, and that doesn't make me comfortable either.

-- Clubhouse issues, particularly the relationship between Jack Wilson and Jose Castillo, could become a factor. While I do not disagree with Jack calling Castillo out, there have been rumors that they have not been getting along. That is not good. If your team is already weak, the absolute last thing you need is a fracture in the locker room. That could send the team into a tailspin that they may never get out of.

The bright spots are, of course:

-- Freddy Sanchez. Don't expect him to hit .344 again, but he'll be over .300 for sure.
-- Jason Bay. Will hit 40 2B, 35 HR and well over 100 RBI and around 100 runs scored. Again.
-- Adam LaRoche. Should hit over 30 HR and drive in around/over 100 runs, and if he really takes advantage of the short RF porch, could approach 40 HR.
-- Ronny Paulino. He's picking up right where he left off last season and is hitting over .350 this spring.
-- Ian Snell. Has been lights-out this spring and is, IMO, the ace of the staff.
-- Zach Duke. Should be and will be better than last season.
-- The bullpen. Other than Torres, this unit should be solid.

Overall, it still translates into no more than 76 wins for this team, IMO, and losing season no. 15 in a row.
looks like someone hasnt been paying attention to the pirates this off-season. bautista is our starter at third, and you forgot to mention someone with the last name...Eldred, who has more power than probably anyone on the team. Who knows who will stay once Sanchez is off the DL, but you should expect Cota or the rookie to be sent down, maybe even Castilla bc it seems Tracy has a problem with him...anyways the leadoff man is my biggest concern bc duffy is just too damn inconsistent, but is an amazing fielder, which might be why McCutcheon got sent down...who knows. But Nady will do just fine, he's fairly underrated, and i think Paulino is going to have a breakout year. The pirates really wont be all that bad this year with a solid bullpen, sure they have weak starters...but who knows, maybe one will have a rookie Perez/Duke year to help the team out....my predicition is 85 wins
Old 04-03-2007, 04:58 AM   #15
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by St33lers View Post
looks like someone hasnt been paying attention to the pirates this off-season. bautista is our starter at third
Yes, I most certainly have been, thanks. And that post was written BEFORE Bautista was named the starting third baseman, so therefore my comments were valid regarding the bench.

Quote:
, and you forgot to mention someone with the last name...Eldred, who has more power than probably anyone on the team.
Who knew Eldred would have the spring that he did? He was a surprise, I will grant you that. I didn't mention him because I didn't think he would make the team out of spring training and would start the season in Indy, especially considering how horrible he was in winter ball. I certainly wouldn't mind having that stick on the bench, provided that he has his strikeout problem under control somewhat. Being able to play RF gives them another option for him if they want to give Nady a rest, as well as being the backup first baseman.

Quote:
Who knows who will stay once Sanchez is off the DL, but you should expect Cota or the rookie to be sent down, maybe even Castilla bc it seems Tracy has a problem with him...
My guess is that Don Kelly will be sent down when Sanchez comes back. I only wish it were Cota, but he is a better catcher defensively than Doumit, which is why he is being kept as the backup to Paulino. As far as Castillo goes, all you have to do is look at last season to see why Tracy has a problem with him. Million-dollar talent and ten-cent effort. It's still possible that he could win the third base or even his second base job back, so he'd best take full advantage of this opportunity while Sanchez is out.

Quote:
anyways the leadoff man is my biggest concern bc duffy is just too damn inconsistent, but is an amazing fielder, which might be why McCutcheon got sent down...who knows.
It should be, because other than a few streaky weeks last season and the season prior, Duffy hasn't shown anything at the plate that gives anyone confidence that he can do it for a full season. Plus, he did not have a good spring at all. Yes, he's an amazing fielder (made two great plays last night throwing out Luke Scott and Chris Burke), and yes he can steal bases, but he needs to get on base consistently and be the solid leadoff hitter that this team desperately needs. I'll give him a little slack...say, a month...and if he isn't showing any progress, then give McCutcheon or someone else a shot.

Quote:
But Nady will do just fine, he's fairly underrated, and i think Paulino is going to have a breakout year.
Nady has to prove that he can do it over a full season. This will be the first season where he will be an every day player and will be counted on to be a major part of the offense, so we'll see how well he handles that responsibility. He has the ability, I'll grant you that. And I completely agree about Paulino - I think he's the real deal.

Quote:
The pirates really wont be all that bad this year with a solid bullpen, sure they have weak starters...but who knows, maybe one will have a rookie Perez/Duke year to help the team out....my predicition is 85 wins
I wish I could share your optimism, I really do. But these are the Pirates, and losing is what they do. I still say 76 wins, max. The ONLY saving grace this team might have is that the Central Division this year looks as weak as it was in 1997, which coincidentally was the last time the Pirates were in any kind of "contention" for a playoff berth - if you want to call it that.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #16
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Well after the Pens win the Cup, the Pirates win the Series and the Steelers rebound to win the Super Bowl, we will hold three of the four major sports titles. Oh, and Pitt wins the NCAA tournament (NBA - SCHMBA).

Actually, I just hope that when we get the August the Pirates still have hope. That's all I need this season.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:54 PM   #17
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV STEELERS 723 View Post
I like the positive attitude too SCM.....in fact I'm gonna bet $5 the Bucs beat Houstan in the opener....

I like the changes the Bucs made this season...especially the LaRoche pick -up...

I think we will be in it to the end...

I hope we play to our potential....

Go BUCS !!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
I love the positive attitude SCM. I really hope the Buccos win 85-90 games but I'm not counting on it. Don't get me wrong I think the Pirates have some young talent that really can develop and turn the Pirates into a solid ball club again. But I'm just not getting to excited yet. I would be happy with just a .500 season. But keep the positive attitude man. Its just after 15 lossing seasons has killed alot of my positive attitude with the Pirates.lol

I was 13 when the Pirates last won a division title and that happens to be the last time the Pirates finished above .500.lol Hell 1992 seems so long ago.lol
Thanks. It comes naturally with my believer abilities. Last time the Pirates had a winning season. I was 1 year old.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:04 PM   #18
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
Thanks. It comes naturally with my believer abilities. Last time the Pirates had a winning season. I was 1 year old.
Oh my....now I feel old...I still see Sid Bream sliding into home w/ the Braves and beating us out of the NL Pennant...a dejected Barry Bonds is walking off left field....from then on the Bucs have really been bad...

Well, its been 14 years....now its our time to put it all together....it won't take much for Pittsburgh and its fans worldwide to get behind this team...we have been waiting awile!!!

We won tonight and we are 2-0.......we just have to Believe !!!
Old 04-06-2007, 01:57 PM   #19
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

If the pitching overachieves, the Bucs can go .500 or better...but that pitching is shaky.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote