Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-19-2007, 09:21 AM   #101
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: At Least 20 Dead In Virginia Tech Shootings

All I have to do is turn on the TV. CNN, MSNBC, The Daily Show, Colbet Report, Bill Maher...etc. etc.

Or read the papers. NY Times, LA Times, San Francisco Chronicle, Washington Post, Boston Globe to name the top dogs. Those are just a few.

Or on radio..........much like with the papers, where to begin?

From my perspective, it's a tilt. Some people prefer that tilt because they tend to lead one way or the other. Some jumped a bridge when many came to their senses and Air-America went bankrupt. To each their own. I simply prefer more balance. I don't think that's too much to ask for, or is it? I'm not asking for it to be all conservative talk. I by no means would that anymore than I want what I feel is an already left leaning tilt. Balance.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:44 AM   #102
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,486 Times in 3,950 Posts

i find it funny how few of these media members dont know there is a difference between a criminal database for background checks and a medical database. alot of people seem suprised that someone who is sick can buy a gun. as for basic news i would prefer hearing or reading it, and have no idea of the political affiliation of the one who is delivering it.

but that is old school. nowadays it is the news with commentary, opinion, and analysis that sells. i can deal with that. i just kinda tune out that which i may not agree with. kinda like theismann on a football broadcast.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:47 AM   #103
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i find it funny how few of these media members dont know there is a difference between a criminal database for background checks and a medical database. alot of people seem suprised that someone who is sick can buy a gun.
Gun store owners should be permitted to see a persons mental health records before they sell a gun. It's takes me seven days to get my dry cleaning back, but I can buy a gun in ten minutes. Am I the only one that finds that a little odd?
Old 04-19-2007, 09:58 AM   #104
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,486 Times in 3,950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Gun store owners should be permitted to see a persons mental health records before they sell a gun. It's takes me seven days to get my dry cleaning back, but I can buy a gun in ten minutes. Am I the only one that finds that a little odd?
its extremely odd. i have a feeling that after columbine there was alot of left wing legislation that was brought up to increase the waiting time and access to records, for gun purchase. im sure there were thoughts to screen this kids, test them, evaluate them, try to treat them etc before something like this were to ever happen again.

more big government, more invasion of privacy, more taxes etc. im sure that went over real well with the gun lobbyists and far right. thats why i find that moron's comment trying to blame the left and supporting ones "right to free speech", completely idiotic, when in the next breath he said he vehemently supports "the right to bear arms".

the blame game should be shifting into full tilt after the funerals and ceremonies. i cant wait to hear all the other creative ways the left will be blamed for this. i for one wont get into blaming one side of the aisle to heavilly.

all i know is that if nobody was gonna pay to treat this wacko, he was going to go untreated. even if somebody was going to pay to treat this monster, the chance of it still happening was there.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:00 AM   #105
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

I'm not trying to take guns away from anybody, except for the wack job who's on meds and was recently treated in a mental health facility. Yeah, probably not a good idea for those type of people to be packing heat.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:26 AM   #106
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,240 Times in 3,618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
All I have to do is turn on the TV. CNN, MSNBC, The Daily Show, Colbet Report, Bill Maher...etc. etc.

Or read the papers. NY Times, LA Times, San Francisco Chronicle, Washington Post, Boston Globe to name the top dogs. Those are just a few.

Or on radio..........much like with the papers, where to begin?

From my perspective, it's a tilt. Some people prefer that tilt because they tend to lead one way or the other. Some jumped a bridge when many came to their senses and Air-America went bankrupt. To each their own. I simply prefer more balance. I don't think that's too much to ask for, or is it? I'm not asking for it to be all conservative talk. I by no means would that anymore than I want what I feel is an already left leaning tilt. Balance.
Would you agree Drudge Report, Fox News (the most popular cable news station) as well as Rush and Hannity (the most popular talk radio hosts) tilt Republican? If so, that indicates the GOP has no small amount of clout on TV, radio, and the Internet which are growing sources of news and opinion for people - if not, I guess we will also disagree on exactly what constititutes "tilt" and"balance."

Moreover, since by any statistically valid public opinion sample (not to mention the last election) the current administration is on the short end of the public approval stick, I suppose another issue is how a particular political view can be regarded as being in the middle and reflecting the view of the majority rather than an elite, out of touch commentariat.

Good arguments obviously can be made both ways on this issue.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:31 PM   #107
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

I heard what I thought was an interesting commentary on this tragedy. It is not a politically correct opinion. My purpose in bringing it here isn't to hurt or cast stones but I hadn't thought about this at all and it was thought provoking for me.

Basically, this gentleman, who I would guess to be in his 60's commented that he empathizes greatly with the families of the victims and in no way puts blame for this incident on anyone but Cho himself. His belief, however. is that had a gunman entered his high school classroom, let alone college, 20, 30 or 40 years ago, the male students would have handled the situation much differently. He said that boys are raised, as a whole in our society so much differently today. They have been so emasculated that they no longer react as would be instinctive in response to danger (as a defender, protector, warrior). His feeling is that years ago, the men would have picked up their desks and attacked as a group, knowing that he may be able to take out a couple of them but would never have been able to take all of the lives that he did, freewill.

This made me think about the men (and women) on that flight on 9/11 that went down in PA because those people knew that they couldn't allow those terrorists to do with that plane what they intended. They sacrificed themselves for the greater good. I wonder about the ages of the people on that flight and wonder how, if in any way, they were raised in a different way from our children today.

Any thoughts? (I hope this was put in the correct thread. If not please feel free to move it.)

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:46 PM   #108
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodcitygirl View Post
I heard what I thought was an interesting commentary on this tragedy. It is not a politically correct opinion. My purpose in bringing it here isn't to hurt or cast stones but I hadn't thought about this at all and it was thought provoking for me.

Basically, this gentleman, who I would guess to be in his 60's commented that he empathizes greatly with the families of the victims and in no way puts blame for this incident on anyone but Cho himself. His belief, however. is that had a gunman entered his high school classroom, let alone college, 20, 30 or 40 years ago, the male students would have handled the situation much differently. He said that boys are raised, as a whole in our society so much differently today. They have been so emasculated that they no longer react as would be instinctive in response to danger (as a defender, protector, warrior). His feeling is that years ago, the men would have picked up their desks and attacked as a group, knowing that he may be able to take out a couple of them but would never have been able to take all of the lives that he did, freewill.

This made me think about the men (and women) on that flight on 9/11 that went down in PA because those people knew that they couldn't allow those terrorists to do with that plane what they intended. They sacrificed themselves for the greater good. I wonder about the ages of the people on that flight and wonder how, if in any way, they were raised in a different way from our children today.

Any thoughts? (I hope this was put in the correct thread. If not please feel free to move it.)
Actually, I made that same point to my wife the other day. When we are pushing sports with no winners or losers, hence, no competition, when we are pushing making everyone feel OK... rather then excelling. We emasculate not just our boys, but our society.

I agree. I blame no one but Cho himself. I may even find grace for him in his depressive state. However, I wonder why more people didn't act like the professor. Interesting..

a Jewish professor.. went through the holocaust. Saw pain, suffering, etc... and in his old age... he amongst them all saved lives. He amongst all those youth in thier strength of teen and twenties... and he alone put his body in front of the gunman.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:11 PM   #109
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodcitygirl View Post

Regardless FCG, point well taken. Agreed.

P.S. 83-43, AD both good points, we'll see how this unravels. Bottom line..Sad.
GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote