Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-20-2007, 12:05 PM   #11
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618
Default Re: Iraqi Terrorist Kills 127

I agree it is just another typical day....
I was in Iraq for over a year.....
The Iraqis are never going to get along.........
Pull our troups out.......let them have their civil war.....once it is over only one side will be left to say what goes on and everything is solved.........Then maybe we can go in and help them rebuild........But know this.....as long as there are sunies and shiates living side by side.........there will be killings and what not...........
Old 04-21-2007, 12:11 AM   #12
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

the VT shooting was a bigger deal to americans because it hits directly home. iraq is iraq.. we have been hearing of the same suicide bombers and terrorists every week since we have been there. the only time americans actually care about a death in iraq is if its a soldier or another american. its sad, of course.. its just become a regularity now and we all pretty much expect it. the VT shooting was shocking and effects schools and people around this country.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:30 PM   #13
j-dawg
Team Captain

Member Number: 2228

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
The war may have been a mistake. By the way, waht will happen if we pull out of Iraq? In the vietnam war, did we lose any major conflicts? I heard we won the tet offensive? or whatever it was called by 50,000 killed to less than 5,000 of ours$? An enemy general was quoted as saying the Vietnam war was lost until the American media & Hanoi Jane stepped in. Then the media got involved & Jane Fonda & said it was too costly. We pulled out & MILLIONS were murdered. Never heard about that on the news, huh?
man, you need to get informed on what happened in vietnam AND cambodia for that matter. might i suggest "decent interval" by frank snepp. i know reading a book by the CIA'S chief strategy analyst in vietnam might not be as appealing than watching fox news but i can't stand posts that suggest we might have won if somebody (like jane fonda ) or something (the media) had not done what they did. addressing failed policy does not lose wars. as for major conflicts, saigon fell to the NVA... they renamed it Ho Chi Minh City, check it out on google.

I heard this report on NPR the other day. Online Communities Focus on Student Shooting. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=9626773
It talks about the horrible shootings that took place in Virginia at the beginning of the week and focuses on how myspace and other sites have become memorials to the victims of that fateful day. As if this is a new way of grieving... myspace has been a memorial for MANY of the young soldiers who have fallen in Iraq and there was no mention of this. To exclude this from the audience, many of whom are not members of these online communities, only further INSULATES the public from the war that is going on as you read this.

Why is the media so myopic? I'm still getting news alerts from the washington post about the shooting. I do not wish to trivialize the Virginia Tech shooting... I only wish that the media would be as diligent in reporting a war that has taken so many lives with no end in sight.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:01 PM   #14
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,654 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-dawg View Post

Why is the media so myopic? I'm still getting news alerts from the washington post about the shooting. I do not wish to trivialize the Virginia Tech shooting... I only wish that the media would be as diligent in reporting a war that has taken so many lives with no end in sight.
great post j-dawg. this thread was more about how we, as americans, respond to such stories, as opposed to the stories or headlines themselves.

its sad to say but even if it were a 127 american soldiers killed in a terrorist attack in iraq, it wouldve just been another blurb that would be talked about for a day. we expect it, when we are at war. we expect our soldiers to die. yet we dont expect a police preceinct to be blown up here in the states.

unfortunately we are not at war. we are acting as a huge police force.

is it just normal to place more value in the life of a student than the life of a soldier?
Old 04-21-2007, 07:54 PM   #15
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
What a shame, that the war that most of the democrats supported & Hillary Clintorious 100% supported based on her own "personal" information is running into problems. Now everyone runs & blames it on bush. Including Dems, MSNBC, NBC, ABC etc. No wonder Fox blows them away combined. The war may have been a mistake. By the way, waht will happen if we pull out of Iraq? In the vietnam war, did we lose any major conflicts? I heard we won the tet offensive? or whatever it was called by 50,000 killed to less than 5,000 of ours$? An enemy general was quoted as saying the Vietnam war was lost until the American media & Hanoi Jane stepped in. Then the media got involved & Jane Fonda & said it was too costly. We pulled out & MILLIONS were murdered. Never heard about that on the news, huh?

Yeah no kidding they supported it back then, when it was still a War, meaning Army vs Army. Now we are fighting basically a gorilla warfare where we don't have any idea on who or what our enemy looks like. And, I have said from the start, this is going to turn out to be another Viet Nam. Another senseless war. Yeah, a bunch were murdered after we left. Who cares, they weren't any more of our soldierrs or Marines. We will never bring peace or push democracy on them, there will never be peace over there. Fox news, couldn't blow there nose.
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:56 PM   #16
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBENFASTWILLIE View Post
I agree it is just another typical day....
I was in Iraq for over a year.....
The Iraqis are never going to get along.........
Pull our troups out.......let them have their civil war.....once it is over only one side will be left to say what goes on and everything is solved.........Then maybe we can go in and help them rebuild........But know this.....as long as there are sunies and shiates living side by side.........there will be killings and what not...........

Excellent post!
Old 04-21-2007, 07:59 PM   #17
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

is it just normal to place more value in the life of a student than the life of a soldier?

Very good question tony.