Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 05-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #21
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: Dolphins reaction to Ted Ginn pick.

Tony,I don't think it was so much as them seeing through Weiss' hype machine.

After Miami,nobody really needed a QB intil KC.KC would have probally taken Quinn,and if they didn't Baltimore would have.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:59 PM   #22
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,071 Times in 2,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
Tony,I don't think it was so much as them seeing through Weiss' hype machine.

After Miami,nobody really needed a QB intil KC.KC would have probally taken Quinn,and if they didn't Baltimore would have.
KC and the ravens wouldve definitely taken him. but they, like all other teams before them, already have their qb's in place.
the browns have c. frye so they needed a qb about as bad as the redskins, vikings, dolphins, texans, bills, rams, packers, jaguars, cowboys...etc.

if quinn was everything as advertised (manning/brady), the only teams that could really afford to pass on him were the falcons, steelers, bengals, and giants. the fact that a team like the jaguars passed on him show they feel he is no better than leftwich or gerrard. thats not saying much, cause if he was rated in the top 5 on their boards it would be retarded to pass on him 15-20. (chargers didnt pass on rivers when they had drew brees and thats because rivers is simply a better pro prospect than quinn)
Old 05-08-2007, 06:06 AM   #23
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Its not just that they didn't pick Brady Quinn - there has been mixed press on that guy for the last year or so.

Its the fact that they picked a punt returner, one that isn't even at full health - and thats exactly what Cameron called him in the press conference.

Miami has plenty of needs, even if you buy the fact they had Beck graded the same as Quinn, they could have picked an area of need greater than PR.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 05-08-2007 at 07:03 AM.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:19 PM   #24
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
KC and the ravens wouldve definitely taken him. but they, like all other teams before them, already have their qb's in place.
the browns have c. frye so they needed a qb about as bad as the redskins, vikings, dolphins, texans, bills, rams, packers, jaguars, cowboys...etc.

if quinn was everything as advertised (manning/brady), the only teams that could really afford to pass on him were the falcons, steelers, bengals, and giants. the fact that a team like the jaguars passed on him show they feel he is no better than leftwich or gerrard. thats not saying much, cause if he was rated in the top 5 on their boards it would be retarded to pass on him 15-20. (chargers didnt pass on rivers when they had drew brees and thats because rivers is simply a better pro prospect than quinn)
Redskins- The have that Campbell kid out of Auburn that they drafted in the first round the other year,and he played well last year when the finally played him.

Vikings- Drafted Tavaris Jackson in the second round the other year and they hope he will become the franchise QB.

Dolphins- Complete idiots,unless they know a deal for Trent Green will be going through in the immediate future (before TC).

Texans- Just traded for Matt Shuab who has the same amount of boom or bust possibility as Quinn.His first chance to be a starter will show if he he will boom or bust.

Bills- LP Losman is thier starting QB,a first round pick,and played well last year.

Rams- Why would they draft Quinn when they have Marc Bulger starting at QB?

Packers- Favre is still playing and they drafted Aaron Rodgers in the first round two years back to groom as his replacement...once again,no need for Quinn.

Jaguars- QB wasn't a need,or at least a first-round need.Leftwich is a good QB and Garrard was set to be the starter until the coaching change that brought Del Rio in as HC.

Cowboys- Um,they have Tony Romo playing QB.After last year,they obviously have lots of faith in him,so why would they be drafting a QB in round one?

And why didn't the Browns take Quinn at #3 instead of Joe Thomas?Because the team has been through the high-picked QB who played with no offensive line in front of him (Tim Couch).Without a franchise LT protecting him,Quinn would end up no better than Frye or Couch.So why waste the pick and all that money on a QB when he's just gonna get pounded,that is the way the Browns were looking at it.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:39 PM   #25
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
Redskins- The have that Campbell kid out of Auburn that they drafted in the first round the other year,and he played well last year when the finally played him.

-and the browns have c. frye

Vikings- Drafted Tavaris Jackson in the second round the other year and they hope he will become the franchise QB.

Dolphins- Complete idiots,unless they know a deal for Trent Green will be going through in the immediate future (before TC).

-t. green is old and not the future

Texans- Just traded for Matt Shuab who has the same amount of boom or bust possibility as Quinn.His first chance to be a starter will show if he he will boom or bust.

-probably did better trading for schaub rather than drafting quinn

Bills- LP Losman is thier starting QB,a first round pick,and played well last year.

Rams- Why would they draft Quinn when they have Marc Bulger starting at QB?

-who backs up the often injured bulger? (rhetorical ?) what about when his contract is up?

Packers- Favre is still playing and they drafted Aaron Rodgers in the first round two years back to groom as his replacement...once again,no need for Quinn.

-1st round pick on a back up. goooo packers! rogers cant even get squat in a trade. hes not a franchise qb who will replace farve. just see the qb's who have tried to replace elway and marino. chargers had brees and still took philips

Jaguars- QB wasn't a need,or at least a first-round need.Leftwich is a good QB and Garrard was set to be the starter until the coaching change that brought Del Rio in as HC.

-chargers had brees and still took philips. leftwhich's contract is running out

Cowboys- Um,they have Tony Romo playing QB.After last year,they obviously have lots of faith in him,so why would they be drafting a QB in round one?

-chargers had brees and still took philips. are you sold on romo being "the franchise"? jerry jones is. then again he thought quincy carter was "the franchise"

And why didn't the Browns take Quinn at #3 instead of Joe Thomas?Because the team has been through the high-picked QB who played with no offensive line in front of him (Tim Couch).Without a franchise LT protecting him,Quinn would end up no better than Frye or Couch.So why waste the pick and all that money on a QB when he's just gonna get pounded,that is the way the Browns were looking at it.
im aware that every team that passed on quinn has a qb. but if he was as advertised, none of those teams wouldve passed on him. even the lions. hell they drafted a wr in the top 10 3 times in the past 4 yeas, but when a blue chip wr, fell to them they didnt pass him up. tons of team passed up quinn. 1 out of 100 says hes the next marino. 99 out of 100 says hes the next rogers.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:56 AM   #26
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I don't think all those teams passed on Quinn because they didn't think he had the potential to be a very good NFL QB - its simply that they had other more pressing needs to spend a 1st round draft pick on.

I also don't really see how 'and the Browns have Charlie Frye' makes any sense when applied to another teams pick - since when did the Browns become the franchise on which other teams modelled their draft strategy?

A 1st round draft pick causes problems aswell as solves them - 1st round QB's do not sit in the 'back-up QB' slot happily for very long - they need some type of guarantee that they are the future.

If Dallas, St Louis or Minnesota had drafted Quinn ahead of other needs then they would have been pulling the rug out from underneath their current QB (most of which are young and not ready to be career back-ups).

You draft a QB in the first round you are basically giving the incumbent QB 1 years notice.

If any evidence is needed that drafting a QB high when its not an obvious need can cause a fuss look at the situation when Philly picked Kolb...and that was only a 2nd rounder.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:49 AM   #27
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
I don't think all those teams passed on Quinn because they didn't think he had the potential to be a very good NFL QB - its simply that they had other more pressing needs to spend a 1st round draft pick on.

I also don't really see how 'and the Browns have Charlie Frye' makes any sense when applied to another teams pick - since when did the Browns become the franchise on which other teams modelled their draft strategy?

you mean like a special teams kick returner with the 9th pick over all?

i look at the vikings, redskins qb and c. frye as about the same, with the same potential upside (if you gave all three qb's the protection and weapons of say the colts, theres really no telling who would wind up being the better prospect. teams like san diego or denver didnt let a franchise qb pass by them just because it wasnt an immediate need. did the vikings really need a rb with the 7th pick? but he was the highest rated player on their board and they couldnt pass him up.

quinn was no more of a "need" to the browns than he was to alot of teams. he was a "want". they wanted him more than they needed him. i take a step back when i hear phil savage say "brady quinn had 2 dreams in becoming a pro. 1) to be the number one pick over all, and 2) to play in cleveland. i didnt want to see his heart broke twice.

c. weiss gave a valiant effort but the hype came off like that of a used car salesman. what he said appearntly just didnt match what the film showed. the proof is in the pudding... if he was as advertised so many teams would not have passed on him.

you know what they call a qb with all the physicals, study skills, and intelligence, but lacks accuracy? ..."coach"

im not saying hes gonna be the next jason garrett or gary kubiak. but i am saying matt schaub held more value than quinn in this years draft. dallas believing romo is more of the franchise than quinn tells me alot.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:37 AM   #28
fugawzi
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5120

wow, I can't believe I didn't see this thread earlier. It's funny because I read a lot of Dolphins forums/opinion. Now that the dust has kinda cleared, the general consensus is that this was a good draft, and that the Fins did right by passing on Quinn. I agree, and maybe I'm just seeing things through my aqua and orange tinted glasses, but then I read on here how it was a ridiculous mistake, how Miami is a joke, season's over, games' outcome already being predicted, somehow Marino's name got thrown in. (Maybe some bitterness about the '83 draft) The video shows fans disagreeing with the coach's/GM's decision of the pick. So what? How do I, as a fan, know better than my GM/Coach who should be drafted? Especially Cam Cameron, who has some experience developing QBs (Philip Rivers/Drew Brees, etc) If anything, I'm glad our personnel didn't go with the popular/anticipated pick. Something previous regimes in MIA would have probably done. Remember the boo birds from Philly when they drafted McNabb instead of Ricky Williams? Look how that turned out. They did have Beck over Quinn from the beginning. It's true. Only 4 people knew they were gonna pass on Quinn. Coach, GM, Owner, Pres. Mostly because Beck's higher accuracy rating than Quinn's. There were a few teams who could have addressed a QB who passed on Quinn after MIA, so are they doomed too? The whole Ginn only being a punt returner thing is blown out of proportion. Cameron didn't say "we drafted a punt returner" he said "you're gonna enjoy watching this guy return punts". Because he's amazing at it, not because it's his only skill or ability. Miami ranked something like 21st in total offense last year, probably lower, so what other "need" should have been addressed? I guess if you don't pick a QB in the first round you haven't addressed you QB situation. NO! Is it a bad thing to have an explosive guy back there receiving kickoffs? You would think that would be an advantage in terms of field position. So why won't he be able to play receiver in the league? Surely he could possibly do both. Dante Hall, Wes Welker, a couple names that come to mind. Only Ginn's faster. If you haven't already, you should watch this video. You can see him playing returner AND receiver. (add the w):

ww.youtube.com/watch?v=WGyrgqOKZLg

Ginn got hurt during a celebration with teammates after returning an opening kickoff for a TD. I believe it was called a sprained ankle. To my knowledge it wasn't broken. Point is, by his own admission, he is around 90 percent, and team doctors believe he will be 100 by Training Camp. Hopefully. It's early people. Football is in the air. You can smell it. But it's way early to be predicting the results of the draft, or a player's success in the league. We have to wait and see how these players pan out. 'Livinginthepast' of all people can attest to the fact that it doesn't matter what round a QB is selected. His boy Brady was a fifth rounder. He turned out ok.

Last edited by fugawzi; 05-14-2007 at 04:57 AM.
fugawzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:02 AM   #29
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Brady was a 6th rounder.

I am a huge Ginn fan,mostly because I am a huge Buckeye fan.

But I will admit,his biggest weapon is his speed.He doesn't run good routes (unless you send him just straight down the field) and his hands are average.He has to work on his hands and his route running to become an elite NFL WR and live up to his 9th overall pick status.

Where he can really kill a team is by going over the middle.Just slant him accross the middle and throw a light lob to him.From there his speed will take over and he will outrun any linebacker and most DB's.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:30 PM   #30
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,230 Times in 1,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
im aware that every team that passed on quinn has a qb. but if he was as advertised, none of those teams wouldve passed on him. even the lions. hell they drafted a wr in the top 10 3 times in the past 4 yeas, but when a blue chip wr, fell to them they didnt pass him up. tons of team passed up quinn. 1 out of 100 says hes the next marino. 99 out of 100 says hes the next rogers.
here's a quick way to end this one....if oakland doesn't select russell , does he fall like quinn? i think not.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote