Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-09-2007, 11:07 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,205 Times in 2,670 Posts
Default attempted puppy murder (Warning: disturbing photo)

in the grand scheme of things this may not be a big deal. this story (and huge photo was on the front page of our paper today). my fiancee and her partner took the picture and dozens of others to be introduced as evidence against the 3 teens who did this. this story had created quite an uproar in the community and even made statewide news.

what is weird is that we have had child abuse cases that result in death, that never create such an uproar (a father brutally killed his baby for crying several months ago and people almost yawned).

the puppy is currently alive and many people have volunteered to adopt it if she lives. ironically our pound euthanizes healthy dogs every day.

it seems the community wants the same treatment given to the kids involved. many dont want them in public schools. most are convinced (especially considering their current criminal behavior) that the system has failed them and they are on a 1 way path to jeffery dahmerism. i honestly dont know what i'd do if i found 3 kids doing this to my dogs. i definitely know what i'd do if i found them doing it to my daughter.
Quote:
Detained for trial
Juveniles to be incarcerated until official hearing in dog attack case

Three juveniles will not be released after they were charged with felony cruelty to animals. The three are accused of trying to beat a dog to death Sunday.

The three Dasha Lombard, 15; James Manzanares, 14; and Nicholas Stogdon, 13 were ordered to be detained until a trial takes place within the next 30 days in 12th Judicial District Judge Jerry Ritter's courtroom Tuesday.

Ritter explained to the juveniles why they are being charged with felony counts. The three face charges of extreme cruelty to animals, conspiracy to commit extreme cruelty and tampering with evidence.

The juveniles were told the possible consequences they would face if they are found guilty of the charges, and were asked to enter a plea.

Linda Burson, the public defender who is temporarily representing the three, said all three juveniles are "standing mute." That means they are not pleading guilty or no contest, but will face trial.

"All three want to go home," Burson said at the outset of the detention hearing.

Assistant District Attorney Michael Kwasniewski then began calling witnesses. Department of Public Safety Officer Roger Schoolcraft was the first.

Schoolcraft responded to a call from a resident of a trailer park on Canal

Street. The witness' little girl had seen the teenagers clustered around the dog in the Canal ditch and ran to tell her father, who then called the police.
When Schoolcraft got there, he said he spotted the three juveniles running across Florida Avenue and stopped them. He said the three told them they had thought the dog was dying and so decided to kill it.

They were smiling and unconcerned, Schoolcraft said.

"Manzanares said, 'It was just a f___ing dog'," Schoolcraft told the court. "They didn't seem to be affected by what they had done."

Kwasniewski walked Schoolcraft through photos of the different items the police had found, which had been used in the attempt to kill the dog.

Clear packing tape had been put around her snout and over her nose to suffocate her; two knives and a flat screwdriver were found in various locations that had been used to stab her; and a 44.2-pound concrete block was found close to the dog. It had been thrown on her at least once and perhaps multiple times.

Stogdon provided Schoolcraft with a verbal and written statement about what happened. Stogdon told Schoolcraft the girl, Lombard, had seen the dog and taken her. Then the teenagers saw the dog was bleeding and decided to kill it.

The next witness, veterinarian Edmund Christopher Staley, testified the dog had been bleeding a little because she was "in heat."

Staley testified the dog had a concussion, was in shock and suffering from blood loss when he received her from Animal Control officers Sunday. She had puncture wounds and a pair of slice wounds to her chest; a contusion on her right ear; and bad bruising on either side of her head.

"She showed a great deal of pain when she was moved," he said.

The contusions on her head turned out to be more than superficial, Staley said. She had a fractured vertebrae. What saved her from the blow or blows from the concrete was the soft earth under her, he guessed.

"It would have crushed her skull," Staley said.

The dog, now nicknamed Sandy, is about 24 inches long from the tip of her nose to the back end of her ribcage, Staley testified.

He also said there was no sign of any kind of previous injury to the dog.

When asked if the dog displayed any aggressive behavior, Staley said, "not at all" and expounded by saying despite her pain, she was licking the hands of the Animal Control officers and waging her tail.

Calling on Juvenile Probation and Parole officers to testify, Kwasniewski proceeded to bring the teenagers' prior records into the picture.

Kathy Cavazos of JPPO first outlined Lombard's record. On Feb. 23, Cavazos said, Lombard was charged with having a deadly weapon on school property. She had also been charged with criminal damage to property when she allegedly spray-painted an elementary school playground. Other previous charges include shoplifting and resisting, evading and obstructing an officer.

Lombard has also had numerous incidents of trouble at school, usually involving verbally abusing teachers.

Cavazos recommended Lombard be kept in detention.

"Her guardian doesn't feel she can take her back," Cavazos said. "She may subject others to injury."

Next, Dennis Gallegos of JPPO was called as a witness regarding his clients, both the boys.

He listed Manzanares' priors, including shoplifting (including one incident where he was with co-defendant Stogdon), disorderly conduct, larceny, receiving stolen property and burglary.

"His mother and grandmother said he wouldn't comply with his coming-home curfew," Gallegos said.

Gallegos recommended Manzanares be detained and undergo a psychiatric examination. He also talked about animal cruelty as a warning sign and an indicator of possible aggressive behavior against people.

Gallegos also recommended Stogdon be detained and undergo evaluation. Gallegos cited occasions Stogdon was charged several times with shoplifting; twice for battery on a household member; for running away; and for burglary.

In closing, Kwasniewski cited studies showing animal cruelty is a precursor to worse crimes. He also pointed out the community could be dangerous to the juveniles.

"The reaction of the public would probably not be as level-headed as (the witness who called police)," Kwasniewski said.

He also pointed out all three teenagers had a propensity for not being where they are supposed to be at any given time.

Defender Burson suggested the juveniles be sent home with ankle bracelets where their parents could monitor them.

"They seem to be very angry young people," Burson said.

Ritter ordered the youngsters be held at a detention center until their trial date.
http://www.alamogordonews.com/news/ci_5850925
Old 05-10-2007, 12:42 AM   #2
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150
Default Re: attempted puppy murder (Warning: disturbing photo)

Oh my God! who could do this?! I know if I saw anybody doing this to anything, Animal or Human I would beat them senseless.

Hopefully the dog can survive without to many health complications.

Clearly these 'kids' are unstable and need to have a psychiatric evaluation, they need to be locked up in a asylum for a long time. I don't want them on my streets.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:04 AM   #3
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Don't get me wrong I love animals but Tony you made a good point about the father beating his child to death and the world just yawns at that. It seems that our views on human life versus an animal's is somewhat dimenished. That's a shame that an animal receives more attention than a child or battered wife.

Now with that said, I don't think the kids should get off scott free but are people seriously more concerned for animal rights versus human rights?

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:17 AM   #4
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

I am more considered with human rights then animals, I just think what they did was sick.
"if I saw anybody doing this to anything, animal or human I would beat them senseless."

Anybody that does anything like that to anything is sick and disturbed.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:29 AM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
Don't get me wrong I love animals but Tony you made a good point about the father beating his child to death and the world just yawns at that. It seems that our views on human life versus an animal's is somewhat dimenished. That's a shame that an animal receives more attention than a child or battered wife.

Now with that said, I don't think the kids should get off scott free but are people seriously more concerned for animal rights versus human rights?
Let me answer that for you....Its a Federal crime to break an eagles egg, with a $5,000 dollar fine and up to two years in prison ....yet abortions are legal.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:39 AM   #6
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088

wow that is ****ed up

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:56 AM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

This is a disturbing case. I'm no criminal psychologist, but many of today's serial killers started out experimenting with animals. Dahmer used to dissect dead animals. Richard Kuklinski used to put cats (alive) into incinerators. He also used to tie their tails together and watch them fight to the death. The MacDonald triad speaks volumes.

I'm not stating these two disturbed individuals will automatically turn into serial killers later in life, but it's something to keep in mind when hearing about these type of situations.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:19 AM   #8
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

....any truth to the rumor that Marvin Lewis tendered contract offers to them...?
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:40 AM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,205 Times in 2,670 Posts

on a personal note im disgusted by this. but it raises alot of interresting topics on a much larger scale.

-who is to blame?
-how should they be punished?
-are they a lost cause or can they be rehabbed?

the 15 year old girl in question lives with her grandparents and they dont even want her back cause she is constantly in trouble and disobedient. her mom is in jail (probably only 30 years old herself and locked up for drugs. its a running joke in our boring town that theres only 2 things for kids to do. have sex and party. we have one of the highest teenage pregnancy rates in the nation. its so bad the highschool had to build and operate a day care on the premises.

theres no way this girl needs to breed. like i said earlier, a 21-22 year old father was left alone with his baby. it wouldnt stop crying so he repeatedly slamed the babies head in the doorway until it shut up. the 9 month old died a few days later. he was a druggie and of course claimed it was an "accident". these 3 kids who did this to the dog are headed down the same path.

it sucks to think like a nazi and wish there was a way to sterilize these people, but alot of people are thinking it. these kids being put through the system wont do squat, cause our "system" here pretty much sucks. you almost have to throw your hands up and accept it as the direction our youth are going in these days.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:44 AM   #10
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
it sucks to think like a nazi and wish there was a way to sterilize these people, but alot of people are thinking it.
Good luck passing that one by the ACLU...lol. They would have a field day with that one. With these two, it seems like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.