Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-10-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,915 Times in 4,517 Posts
Default McNair arrested as passenger in DUI case

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/BAL/10174962
Quote:

NFL.com wire reports

NASHVILLE, Tennessee (May 10, 2007) -- Baltimore Ravens quarterback Steve McNair was arrested early Thursday and charged with being the owner of a vehicle operated by a drunken driver.

The former Tennessee Titans player was a passenger in his silver pickup truck, police said.

Police said a copy of the arrest report wouldn't be available until later in the day but confirmed McNair was arrested and booked into jail about 3 a.m.

McNair was arrested under a misdemeanor statute that charges the owner if an intoxicated person is allowed to drive a vehicle. Under the law, it doesn't matter if McNair was drinking, only if the driver was impaired, police said.

The driver, whose identity wasn't immediately available, was stopped because the truck was speeding, police said.

"We are aware of the situation, but we're getting most of our information from the media," Ravens spokesman Chad Steele said Thursday. "We've not spoken with Steve, so we're not sure at this time if we will have a statement."

McNair declined to comment when he was released from custody. He was accompanied by a friend, nightclub owner Robert "Big Daddy" Gaddy.

McNair was arrested in downtown Nashville in May 2003 and charged with DUI and illegal gun possession. After a year of legal wrangling, a judge dismissed those charges, ruling police didn't have sufficient reason to pull over McNair in the first place.
i wonder if the commish is gonna dismiss these charges? probably so because mcnair is a star.

the law seems strange that you can get a dui for not even driving. but it seems to hold one culpable if they hand over their keys to a drunk.

i heard on the radio it was his brother in law, whom refused to take a breathalizer. the law also states that if the driver refuses the sobriety test EVERY passenger can get a ticket for dui.

pretty much, if theirs a sober passenger in the car, they better be the one driving.

seems to me like mcnair and his brother in law were out drinking and the brother in law was the "less drunk" of the 2 or the one "more sober" to drive.

i cant wait to hear the whitewashing and spin that mcnair was doing the "responsible" thing.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts
Default Re: McNair arrested as passenger in DUI case

That law makes sense to me - handing a drunk the keys to your car is like handing them a loaded weapon.

I think McNair can beat this rap with the Commissioner by saying he did not know his driver was drunk and that because McNair is such a solid citizen (and apparently an alcoholic given his prediliction into his mid-30s for not just drinking but getting legally drunk) he did not want to get behind the wheel because he was too wasted to drive.

So much for any Budweiser endorsements; maybe McNair can work out a deal with cab companies that encourage bar patrons to take a taxi home.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,380 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
So much for any Budweiser endorsements; maybe McNair can work out a deal with cab companies that encourage bar patrons to take a taxi home.
Are active NFL players even allowed to do beer commercials? I know for years and years there they were not.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #4
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

The commish now has a problem on his hands. He's already set an example of players looking bad for the NFL. McNair is now putting a black spot on the NFL (although he hasn't done it recently). The question is will Goodell be consistent or will he back down.

I'm betting he won't sack up to the table and hand down the punishment like he did to Jones and Henry because McNair is "NEEDED" in Baltimore for them to have any semblance of a season.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:05 PM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
The commish now has a problem on his hands. He's already set an example of players looking bad for the NFL. McNair is now putting a black spot on the NFL (although he hasn't done it recently). The question is will Goodell be consistent or will he back down.

I'm betting he won't sack up to the table and hand down the punishment like he did to Jones and Henry because McNair is "NEEDED" in Baltimore for them to have any semblance of a season.
The bigger problem is how do you punish a player for being a drunk passenger in a vehicle....when his teammate skated without reprocussion on a double homicide charge
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:32 PM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
That law makes sense to me - handing a drunk the keys to your car is like handing them a loaded weapon.

I think McNair can beat this rap with the Commissioner by saying he did not know his driver was drunk and that because McNair is such a solid citizen (and apparently an alcoholic given his prediliction into his mid-30s for not just drinking but getting legally drunk) he did not want to get behind the wheel because he was too wasted to drive.

ABSOLUTELY!!

And for McNair... In one sense, I admire the fact that HE didn't climb behind the wheel... but I am befuddled that his good judgement stopped there.

McNair... Here is a hint... If the guy you're giving the keys to is staggering around like he was in the presense of Ray Lewis and a knife.... it is best to get someone ELSE to drive, or take a cab!

Last edited by Preacher; 05-10-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:51 PM   #7
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

McNair was dumb for handing over his keys to his brother in law yes. But even so, McNair already has a DUI from 2003 when he was arrested for drunk driving and an illegal weapons charge. Depending on the statute of limitations in the new player conduct policy I wonder if Goodell can punish him some how. This could be his second offense with alcohol. Besides if Goodell wants to be taken seriously with this new policy he will have to do something and not just sit back on one of his 'stars'
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:03 PM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz05 View Post
McNair was dumb for handing over his keys to his brother in law yes. But even so, McNair already has a DUI from 2003 when he was arrested for drunk driving and an illegal weapons charge. Depending on the statute of limitations in the new player conduct policy I wonder if Goodell can punish him some how. This could be his second offense with alcohol. Besides if Goodell wants to be taken seriously with this new policy he will have to do something and not just sit back on one of his 'stars'

Ahhhhhhhh...

I didn't remember that.

Yeah.. enough is enough. Do I think he deserves a year's suspension? No. 3 or 4 games, plus a buttload of fines? Absolutely.

Heck... I'd have no problem with a Zero-tolerance policy for Alcohol. If you wanna drink, do it at home or take a cab. You get busted for public drunkeness... You lose playing time. Get caught drunk driving... or turning keys over to a drunk driver, you lose MORE playing time and BIGGER fines.

This is Goodell's moment of truth. Here is a situation that, if he plays, could cause a team to go to the SB. If he doesn't, the team may end up in 3rd place in thier division.

Alright Goodell... Let's see what nature gave you... A Spine of an Oak tree, or a spine of a French politician.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts

Alcohol consumption/abuse is pro sports dirty secret.

Beer companies are huge sponsors of the TV broadcasts and beer is a huge source of revenue at the concession stands during the games. The Atlanta paper had a story last fall on the number of Falcons fans who tailgate, drink throughout the game, and then drive home drunk.

And of course Exhibit A for the fine line the teams walk is the St. Louis Cardinals, who play in Busch Stadium while in the past year have had their manager arrested for DWI and a relief pitcher killed while DWI.

So when these incidents happen we get another sermonette on "drinking responsibly" but no indication that if you are going to be behind the wheel you should not drink at all. Do not want to cut out that revenue source.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:51 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,915 Times in 4,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
Okay, fro everyone bashing Mcnair for handing a drunk the keys to his car.....

If he is too drunk to drive, don't you think his ability to evaluate someone else's sobriety is also impaired.

Sounds like a stupid law to me, one more chance to bring in revenue. Ticketing passengers in no way improves the safety on the road.
i wonder who was buying rounds at the bar. multi-million dollar mcnair or the brother in law? if mcnair cant figure out he mightve been drunk, then maybe it is the ravens who are stupid for handing over the keys to their franchise to such an idiot and they deserve any hypothetical supension we all know he wont get anyways.