Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-01-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Yearly vaccines could have lethal consequences for your pet

http://post-gazette.com/pg/07121/782290-338.stm

Yearly vaccines could have lethal consequences for your pet

Tuesday, May 01, 2007
By Susan Banks, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The mammoth recall of pet food that grabbed headlines over the past month after contaminated batches were linked to at least 16 pet deaths has put a new spotlight on proper handling of pet products and care issues.

But there's another area that has gotten little attention but could also pose a risk to dogs, especially those among the smaller breeds.

It involves vaccines and how often they should be given.

The next time you get that reminder in the mail to get your pet's yearly booster shots, you may want to pause and reconsider.

According to major veterinary schools and the American Animal Hospital Association, most major canine vaccines should be given once every three years -- not annually. In fact, for some smaller breeds -- pugs, Yorkies, French bulls, Maltese and Pekinese -- the yearly vaccines can lead to sometimes lethal complications.

For example, in pugs, one of the more popular breeds in the Pittsburgh area, researchers believe that boosters may trigger PDE, or Pug Dog Encephalitis, a fatal condition to which many of that breed are predisposed.

But while most vet schools and national veterinary societies endorse the three-year regimen for distemper, parvovirus, parainfluenza and adenovirus 2 vaccines, it's hard to find a local veterinarian who isn't pushing annual shots for these diseases.

An informal phone poll of more than 15 animal hospitals in the Pittsburgh area found only one, Point Breeze Animal Clinic, that was giving shots at three-year intervals.

"Are we vaccinating too much? The answer is yes, we are," says Dr. Lawrence Gerson, who runs the Point Breeze practice.

He says toxic reactions to vaccines in all breeds are well documented. "It's not just pugs; clearly in Weimaraners there are problems," he says. In addition, a Lhasa Apso died at his practice just last year.

Ohio State Veterinary School has developed a vaccine protocol especially for Weimaraners, but problems can crop up in all breeds.

Dr. Gerson says he's especially careful with dogs such as dachshunds and miniature types, and dogs under 30 pounds when giving a vaccine against leptospirosis (a bacterial illness transmitted through infected urine), which is considered a discretionary shot given to at-risk dogs. "I've had fatal reactions to vaccines in my practice, but that's not the norm," he stresses.

What is more common, he said, are side effects the dog experiences -- swelling, itching or vomiting.

He is frustrated that many of his colleagues are slow to change to three-year boosters.

"These are mainstream protocols," says Dr. Gerson. "I can't think of many dogs that need distemper more than every third year. You can make an argument for less; there's not really an argument for more."

The American Animal Hospital Association revised its guidelines in 2003 to include the three-year protocol after convening a panel of experts who studied the issue.

"We are following these guidelines in our own hospital, and I would never do that if I wasn't fully confident of them," said Dr. Thomas Carpenter, association president, who runs his own veterinary practice in Costa Mesa, Calif. "It is very, very safe."

In fact, the vaccines may protect a dog more than three years, he said, although sufficient research isn't available to confirm that yet.

Dr. Carpenter said he's not sure why more veterinary practices aren't following the three-year protocols.

"I believe with any change in protocols, there are probably early adapters, and there are probably people who are slow to adapt. All the vet schools are using the protocols, so the students are graduating with the protocols in mind. [The changes are] not going to happen overnight. We at the AAHA hope to positively influence the profession based on science [with the published protocols]."

Asked whether vet clinics are pushing annual vaccinations to keep revenue coming in, he discounted that.

"I think veterinarians are concerned about being sure that they provide the best health care, and people who are doing it annually are more worried about being sure that the patients are being protected."

Dr. Jamie Bush, a veterinary resident at Colorado State University, is studying how environmental issues such as booster vaccines can specifically affect onset of PDE, but the implications of her research go beyond the pug community.

"I do feel that [all] pugs are predisposed to problems from vaccine," says Dr. Bush, saying pugs should not be given booster shots more than once every three years.

"My personal opinion is that all dogs should have limited vaccines, and those that might be more predisposed to hyper-sensitivities especially," she says.

That would include older dogs or those with chronic disease conditions.

She says the possible side effects of boosters on the canine immune system are still not completely understood.

She's not alone in this thinking. Her university endorsed the three-year protocols in 1998, but so have many other distinguished veterinary schools. Kansas State, Texas A&M, the University of Wisconsin and, closer to home, Ohio State University and the University of Pennsylvania.

At the very least, said Dr. Gerson, a veterinarian owes it to his or her client to discuss the new protocols.

Dr. Donald Caslow, a vet who practices at the East Suburban Animal Hospital in Murrysville and is known as a progressive voice on the subject of pet care, agrees. He also has followed the three-year regimen since it was endorsed in 2003. Boosters are sometimes skipped at his practice, depending on the needs of the patient.

He says all dogs are at risk, no breed more than others.

He has had a death attributed to what he calls distemper vaccine-induced encephalitis in an animal that he believes was a dachshund. He also remembers seeing two vaccine-related deaths in 1976.

"There are other problems that vaccination can cause, such as anaphylactic reaction, hives, injection-site soreness and sterile abscess," he said, added that it may also create immunity problems, but that is still being studied.

"Veterinarians must weigh the benefit vs. the risk," he said.

He said he's been following the three-year regimen for five years and "we've never seen an animal get one of these diseases," he said. "I'm very comfortable with what we are doing; it's possible we could do even less."

One hindrance could be boarding kennels, many of which require proof of annual vaccinations before they'll accept a dog. For these issues, Dr. Caslow says he writes his clients a note.

"Most kennels will accept the three-year vaccination protocol if we write a note [saying] that we feel the dog is protected. If not, we refer them to the AAHA recommendations. Some vaccinations, such as those needed for protection against kennel cough and leptospirosis, need to be given yearly if they are to be effective."

All the professionals interviewed agree on one thing -- a yearly visit to the vet is a must, regardless of whether the pet needs a shot. It's a time when vet and owner can discuss how best to care for the animal.

"It should be the job of every veterinarian and every client to discuss what vaccines the pet may need," says Dr. Gerson. "What you don't want is for people to stop vaccinating all together, but [instead] to put together a minimal vaccine schedule [for each pet]."

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,081 Times in 4,583 Posts
Default Re: Yearly vaccines could have lethal consequences for your pet

exellent heads up. 2 of my miniature pinschers are a year overdue and i got the notice 2 days ago in the mail for my third one (their pup). i was gonna make an appointment next week for all 3 but im gonna reconsider now.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:27 PM   #3
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

you've been given the heads up by the Pittsburgh Post Gazette.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #4
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

This is good info. My minature schnauzer is 12 years old. I was thinking about switiching groomers and had just called last week for an appointment. They needed to have his updated shot record and when I called the vet found that he was late. I was going to take him in too. I think for now I'll just drive the extra distance and take him to the old groomer. Thanks for sharing this, SCM.

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:38 AM   #5
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698

Here's a great website with lots of good and insightful pet articles.
http://b-naturals.com/newsindex.php

This link is to another article on vaccines.
http://b-naturals.com/Fal1997.php?PH...a90afa862f2dd8

FloodCityGirl you made a good choice a 12 year old doesn't need any more vaccines. I'm a big proponent of a raw diet haven't fed a commercial food in 8 years. And I've backed off on the excessive over vaccinating.

TH great pics of the min pins. I used to own two myself years ago. One black and tan and one red. Nice to see you left their ears natural and didn't crop them