Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 05-13-2007, 06:57 AM   #1
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Angry Pro Athletes Above The Law?

I am beginning to think that all the NFL, NBA and MLB and all major atheletes just think that they are untouchable by the law. They are doing stupid things and they have gotten away with them for so long that they think that the law doesnt have a right to arrest them for the same things that we get jail time for.. I hope that the NFL's comissioner makes an example out of some of these guys and lets these rookies coming out know that the NFL isnt going to tolerate this kind of stupid antics in this league!!
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: Pro Atheletes Above The Law?

I agree,they go out and do stuff that we'd get jailed and fired for.

Then when they do get arrested,the act like they did nothing wrong.And when a team takes action against said player,they file a greivance through the players union.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

You can safely add Hollywood celebrities to the list. Not only that, but the bigger the star, the more crap they can get by with.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I have to agree... I think the problem is that the normal fines and other things that apply doesn't carry the weight for them that it does for us...

how about this...

Next DUI for an athlete or celeb... how about ANYONE.... let the COURTS fine him or her 20 percent of thier wages for that year, proven by the GROSS EARNINGS on thier tax record.

maybe that will change things...
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:21 AM   #5
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579
Default Re: Pro Athletes Above The Law?

How many of you have been friends with really high level athletes? In high school, I ran with some of the better athletes in our school. The type of kids who had colleges calling every day and had coaches in the stands for all their games. So I can say that this kind of behavior from them doesn't really surprise me. As a matter of fact, I've more than come to accept it as the way things are. An athlete is cheating on his wife? So what. I knew an offensive lineman who was nailing someone else's girlfriend the entire summer before our senior year. An athlete gets out of a DUI? So what. I knew a guy who got busted for underage DUI and it was swept under the rug.

These men (and some women) don't occupy the same space most people do. Their lives are different, they're privileged. Don't hate them for what they have and what they can get away with. Hate yourselves for allowing it to come to this. Every time you buy a hat with the NFL logo on it, you're saying it's ok that the league has thugs and scumbags. Everytime you watch a game, you say it's ok for Pacman Jones to be in a strip club at 3 AM. Everytime you go see a game in person, you're saying it's ok for Mike Vick to have dog fights at his house.

We're as much to blame in all of this as the NFL and the players. But in today's world of it always being someone else's fault, we'll never acknowldege that fact.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:30 AM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
These men (and some women) don't occupy the same space most people do. Their lives are different, they're privileged. Don't hate them for what they have and what they can get away with. Hate yourselves for allowing it to come to this. Every time you buy a hat with the NFL logo on it, you're saying it's ok that the league has thugs and scumbags. Everytime you watch a game, you say it's ok for Pacman Jones to be in a strip club at 3 AM. Everytime you go see a game in person, you're saying it's ok for Mike Vick to have dog fights at his house.

We're as much to blame in all of this as the NFL and the players. But in today's world of it always being someone else's fault, we'll never acknowldege that fact.
So I should boycott the NFL because a fairly small percentage of its players think they're above the law? Sorry, not happening. I'm also not going to "hate myself" because the majority of them have been coddled from pretty much junior high on up. I'm not a coach, school administrator, or teacher - I had no hand in that. I didn't tell Pacman Jones to go to a strip club, throw 80 grand worth of small bills on the stage and then foolishly try to get it back, and I'm sorry, I'm not about to blame myself for it either.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:35 AM   #7
Jeremy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
So I should boycott the NFL because a fairly small percentage of its players think they're above the law? Sorry, not happening. I'm also not going to "hate myself" because the majority of them have been coddled from pretty much junior high on up. I'm not a coach, school administrator, or teacher - I had no hand in that. I didn't tell Pacman Jones to go to a strip club, throw 80 grand worth of small bills on the stage and then foolishly try to get it back, and I'm sorry, I'm not about to blame myself for it either.
Then don't complain.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:38 AM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Then don't complain.
Sorry, I have every right to complain when the justice system that my tax dollars helps to support fails to do its job correctly.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:42 AM   #9
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Honestly, it's just because officials think that the player or players are so popular that if they do something bad that everyone will hate them. But really, let's just say a doctor who saves lives does something, and goes to jail, then a NFL player gets caught with drugs, and gets a lighter punishment. It just doesn't make sense.

~Polamalufan43
Old 05-13-2007, 10:48 AM   #10
Jeremy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Sorry, I have every right to complain when the justice system that my tax dollars helps to support fails to do its job correctly.
It's not worth getting into.